• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Heath in the 60s

Lloyd

master brummie
I found this old home video on youtube and thought some of you would like to see it. Kings Heath, people and places in 1960.

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-z69OqEmTFk"]YouTube - This Is Kings Heath - 1960[/ame]

Lloyd brilliant vid shame no sound bet the old fellows could tell us some stories and a proper traffic bobby great:)

Nice one Lloyd, I've posted it on to Tommy Godwin's daughter Kay, as you may know they had a cycle shop in Silver Street.
https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/Page410.htm

Graham.
Tommy Godwin is my cousin Graham, The Aunt Beat and Uncle Ern mentioned at the beginning of his book was my Mom and Dad, his sister Rennie who lived in America was my Godmother, he did pay me a visit about 4yrs ago thats the first time we'ed spoke for many years, I've never met his wife or his daughter but nice to see he's still with us and still active.

kind regards Lily Wallis nee Evans

Hi, Folks!
I think the YouTube link for this video has changed since this topic was started ... here is the current YouTube link to my home movie of King's Heath 1960 ...

... thanks for your kind comments!

Thank you Terry. I have replaced theol d link in post 1 with your new link

Enjoyed the video of Kings Heath. I used to do all my shopping there in the 1960s. Good memories.
Anthea

That was just before I left to move south, though no faces that I recognised. I spent a lot of time in that library too. Great! :)

Maurice

The links and videos do not appear to be working? Is it my computer or is there a problem. Would love to see Kings Heath in 1960's.

The links and videos do not appear to be working? Is it my computer or is there a problem. Would love to see Kings Heath in 1960's.
Looks like Terry's video here he wrote:
Silent 8mm home movie, filmed circa 1960 in King's Heath, Birmingham. This is an improved copy of my original upload under the same title which has unaccountably disappeared from YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks, Maurice! I think I'm right in saying that the library is one of the places in the film that is still intact today! Terry

Yes, Kings Heath Library is still there but much altered inside. Hope Chapel which used to be next door moved a long time ago to the corner of Reddings Rd/Alcester Rd. Chapel demolished & a new extension was built for the library - used as childrens library.

Much as I remember it on the occasions I went to Stirchley from Shirley. Mostly by bicycle but in cold or poor weather by bus.

Back