• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Technical School

I had forgotten the tun dish - long since gone I fear.

Away to cook and then joy of joys babysitting the grandchildren. Never warned us about those did they:rolleyes:

It took them around 4-5 years to get my school report to me - kept blaming it on pressure or work. I think they were just trying to save me from the bad news ;)

Hi

Memory coming back. In my last time prior to
moving to ICI metals the English Teacher was
named Mr Osbourne. He taught us Shakespeares
The Merchant of Venice. He seemed a very harsh
and lonley man. I use to see him several years later
on the Shirley Midland Red Buses. Never plucked up
the courage to speak to him. He never spoke much
at School just churned out his Subject.
Whetton in History was the opposite we spent hours
in the Trenches and World War 1. He served in it and any
boy misbehaving would have a lecture on one of dead mates.
great guy.
Ill carry on remembering.
Unfortunately I spent a further 5 years afterwards with a completely
different set of staff at the Tech. It was one day a week and one night
It was erie going back to theserooms in the 60's Jackie London wasnt in his room the Metalwork area was with another chap. Where we did Religious Instructionwe were now doing Mathmatics.
My mate Veasy and I were now in the Pub and the Billiard Hall at Lunch time
on the Soho Road. George Baines cake shop was a thing of the past.

Mike Jenks

Thanks Bernie for those names, they do ring bells, my two mates were John Dudard and Peter Derbyshire, they have better memories than I have these days, As far as I can remember we had a Mr Foster for english, or it may have been Forster. Does anyone remember the ceiling in the history class, covered with balls of mashed blotting paper propelled onto the ceiling with 12" rules.
What was the name of the Technical Drawing master, he took us to Switzerland on an organised holiday in 1957. these were happy days.

I think I got Foster/Forster wrong, He was our form master at Birchfield Road School. I think Iv'e got it right this time

It was the Merchant of Venice for me as well but Osbourne was more involved/interested in setting up his brand new library at Craythorne Road so left us to our own devices for lesson after lesson only appearing at the start and end.

I went back for evening classes and day release. One of my Lucas work colleagues once held the HT output from a rather fierce racing Magneto close to the backside of a snooty Morris Commercial Trainee (Daddy was something in higher management) and spun the magneto - C. 20,000 volts and only one place to go:D

One or two more names Peter Storry (same year) who later was my Son's boss at Rover and 'Benjy' Britton a year above who I knew from the Bournville Model Sailing club.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

Yes Peter Storrie I stumbled on him when I arived at
Rover Solihull 1970. (13 years on) I think our paths crossed for years till I left in 2002. He was in Enginnering development. I think I came across when
he worked with Rex Marvin and his team. P7 and P9.

Mike Jenks

Hi,
Just discovered this site, no posts for a while I see; have you all died ? I was there from Sept '53 to '56. The intake then was split into three : engineers surname A-H;ditto I-Z; and builders. The builders seemed to stay at Boulton rd. while we used both schools. Rupert & Mike (above) mention the metalwork shops - we used them at both sites starting off with a simple nameplate at Boulton Rd and culminating with the scribing block at Goldshill. One of the masters at Boulton Rd had a nervous tic, Mr Fisher possibly, maybe it was shell shock. At Goldshill I remember Mr Jarroms who had a rather bulbous nose.The other metalwork master there, whose name I forget, kindly allowed me to re braze a broken joint on my bicycle even cooling the tube with his own water soaked handkerchief ! The builders took different metalwork projects some involving tinplate work I think. The only woodwork shop I can remember was at Goldshill. Someone has mentioned Wooley who sounds familliar but I can only recall the nicknames "Paddy" and "Killer", oldish and youngish respectively. "Killer" rode a well used touring bike and once took up most of a lesson telling us about the YHA. I subsequently joined and am eternally greatful to him. Yes, I too made the famous anvil and it's stand but only cast the anvil. Did anyone out there cast the stand ? The aluminium was reputed to be melted down milkbottle tops saved throughout the school from our daily 1/3 pintas and washed in a bucket by some unfortunate lad!
I can't agree with posted opinions of "Jackie" London. He certainly was a "character" and actively promoted himself as such but I felt that he had an underlying nasty streak and was not best pleased if one failed to enjoy his little jokes. He would refer to himself as "your Uncle Reggie" and to any boy as "Joe Soap"; was an accurate shot with the chalk and board rubber; and delighted in powdering our faces between two boardrubbers for minor crimes. He also had a strange speech defect which involved him swallowing half of the word "scale" whenever he referred to scale rules. It came out more like "scerwl". If parents would stump up "ten bob" he would give extra maths tuition at his own home nearby.
No one has mentioned Mr Wood, deputy head. He took R.I. and was known as "Creeping Jesus". Although he seemed aloof I have reason to know him to be a kind and caring man. Some may enjoy recalling an occasion when he was standing in the doorway at the end of break supervising the silent lines of returning boys, when some wag dropped a paper bag full of water from the second floor attic room window. It fell at Wood's feet splashing his shoes. Without batting an eyelid he just took half a pace back into the doorway and signalled the first row to enter the building.It would have been futile to try to catch the culprit but he would surely have marked that only prefects were allowed inside during break!
I could go on for hours but I'll wait and see if I'm only talking to myself.
John.

Hi John,
I went there '48 to '50. I did post last year, I'll have to look see what I said. One daft thing I did at Goldshill Rd, I had read that you could open a Yale lock with a strip of celluloid. I tried it and it got stuck in the lock and we could not get in the workshop. Mr Bryant the headmaster charged me for a new lock. Mom made me draw 10 shillings out of my Municipal Bank Account to pay for it.
icon7.gif

Hiu John We were in the same class ( I think ) I agree with you about Jackie London Do you remember the day he tried to give a belting to Gardener. Jackie had to stand on a chair to get a good swing at Gardaners hand, he was that tall. As yoiu said there were plenty more stories, as you are not talking to yourself why dont you tell a few?

Ahh! There are some of us still alive! Yes, Mohawk, now you mention it, I do recall that the water bomb prank was a regular feature - great fun so long as you aren't the target. Woodie's reaction just made that one more memorable and did him great credit (in hindsight).
Mike G., you must be Gardener,Greenfield,Grove or Guest ! My recent memory is really poor nowadays but I can still recite the "register" having heard it twice a day for two years. Who said that learning by rote was bad ? Somehow the third year register hasn't stuck. Was the register ritual always like this: boys would call out their names in alphabetical order and "sir" would mark the register without looking up. The process would stop at an absentee and restart at sir's command. It very soon became a game to call out as fast as possible. I don't ever recall anyone calling someone else's name to cover a latecommer. What an honest lot we were.
I can't remember the"Jackie standing on a chair" incident but sort of related to the above was an "Ozzie" episode: He ditributed the homework books of the other (I-Z) class amongst us and read out the answers for us to mark. We then added up our book's score and Oz called the names for us to reply with the mark attained. All went well until "Jones,A". Ozzie then said "Pea". None of us had a book for Pea. He shouted out Pea again; no response. Oz went livid, "Who's got Pea's book" he screamed an went stamping down the rows glowering at each book. He lighted on poor Bishop (I think it was) who had the book of Jones, P. and vented his fury upon the unfortunate boy's head with the exercise book. We dared not laugh!
Ozzie's jacket was always stained yellow down the front - snuff, I supose. And he seemed often to wear his black gown - to hide the snuff stains or to fend off the chalk dust ? He also cycled gracelessly on a delapidated "sit up and beg" machine with rattly tin mudguards. The cupboards in his classroom held volumes of "Hansard" which I presume were added to as each new issue came out. I was awarded one of these for a quite mediocre achievement and suspected he was just desparate to be rid of one to make space for the next . It was heavy; I never read it!
John.

Yes, Mr Osborne what a miserable man, no one could forget him. The amount of board rubbers and chalk thrown at HTS was amazing, but it made us agile. I remember the classes in alphabet order, ours started at 'K'. I can only remember the first two names starting the register .... 'Kimberley, Kinson', ..... can't remember any more! Sports afternoons at the Cherry Orchard playing fields. I think we had swimming lessons at Grove Lane baths. To go home from Goldshill Rd I used walk to catch the number 5 tram to 6 Ways and the 188 Midland Red bus. Seem to remember having red or green plastic bus tokens. Later on I attended night school for ONC and HNC at Aston Technical College, a fine old building then, wonder if its still there?

Hi, Old Mo, I guess the register alphabet split depended on the names of the intake. We were about 30 in each of the three classes. Those who stayed for a third year for "O" levels were were amalgomated into a single class, in '55 they also numbered about 30. Wonder if all who chose to stay did so, or if it was a limited number ?
Some of the old playing fields have now been built on (I live close by)but ours is still grass; I tend to feel that we shared it with the "Grammer Grubs"; the wooden changing rooms / pavollion is gone however. We swam at Grove Lane too. The P.T. master was Mr Ball -very fitting- who administered a well swung plimsol to my rear for late arrival at the field, me having had a nap in the park en route. My "mates" had tiptoed off and left me asleep.
There was another Mr Ball too. That one took engineering drawing at Goldhill. His room was apart from the main building and was quite spacious with big long tables to accomodate the drawing boards. We had to pay for the cartridge paper so were careful not to spoil it. At the back was a small side room devoted to blueprinting. It was always locked and we never used it. The drawing classroom also doubled for assembly though how we all got in is a puzzle to me. Perhaps it was done in shifts. I can still remember the words of The Grace and the Benedictions from Bryant or sometimes Wood.
I caught the 188 too,to Beeches Estate, or was that the 118 ? John.

Hi John, I started in '58 as you finished, but the masters were very much the same from what I can remember. You mentioned a stand for your anvil, we never made one of those, but you can see my anvil and casting in an earlier post. We did have Mr Ball for PE, our swimming lessons were at Grove Lane Baths and we also had a long walk to the sports field down thro' Handsworth Park if I remember. Our afternoon lessons were at Boulton Road, we had a Mr Emmerson for maths, and Technical Drawing was taken there, I cannot remember his name, but he took school partys to Switzerland in the summer.
Does anyone remember the "black hole" it was to the right hand side of the main entrance and was were the coke for the boilers was delivered, The older lads used to catch the newbies and throw them down that pit and shower them with spittle (I managed to escape that one) but one lad in our form, Ward I think is name was, suffered a broken arm, which put an end to that tradition, for a while anyway.
Goffy

Hi, Diamond,
The 188 Midland Red did go to the Beeches Estate, the 118 went to Walsall. I lived in Grindleford Rd. I have posted photos somewhere in the 'depths' of the forum. I went to Aldridge Rd school where I was usually top of the class, and passed the 13 plus, but when I went to HTS, I was usually near the bottom of the class. When we had sports, I used to walk home across Perry Hall park. I've had a look on Google's Street Cam. I can see buildings that look slightly familiar but don't know what they are used for. I also looked for Aston Tech and it seems like there is a posh looking Academy there.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

Hi

Just scanned my first report.Summer 57. I forgot Jackie London
was our Form Teacher for the First Term.
We all waited that first day and after a while of confusion we were
marched out of School down Union Row and into a Church.
Around the back we clattered into a Wooden Building. This was our
room for the next few months.
I remember Mr Ball and Mr Stokes PT Football and Cricket.
My Maths was good but English ouch. Its the Brummie in me.

Mike Jenks

This is kind of awkward. I am ballancing my lap top on the stearing wheel close to a wifi signal. Boy there is such a divergence of opinion about Jackie L. I must say that I found him to be very acceptable as a teacher and always ready to have a bit of fun. I did the extra year and finished in 55 and then on to HNC. I always wished that I had stayed for A levels and gone on to university...not enough money to permit. Another great teacher was Charlie Flutter..math..Boulton. A fine man who also could take a joke. There were others whose names don't readily come to mind..suffice it to say that we were gifted with a fine team. One outstanding science teacher left to go into industry before we finished. We clbbed together to buy him an ingraved pair of gold cuffliks as a token of our esteem. I think he was overcome with emotion...he let us out early that day.
I have yet to connect with anyone who was in my B stream class. Perhaps it will happen one day.

Hi

Yes Rupert Jackie London was a great Teacher. Just
hated boy's who wasted his time the Schools time and
their time. His methods were quite brutal to them.
He was alway's respectful to me and I had no trouble
with him.

Mike Jenks

i was at HTS from 1966-1971 and Osbourne was still there riding his bike in every day with fag ash down his suit we had Mr Birch as form teacher we had a music teacher who used to play train records to us every lesson

hi

Yes Mr Osbourne and those Fags. I use to see min on the
Midland Red Bus route into Shirley during the 1960's and
70's. Lost him when I passed my driving test in the early 70's.
I forgot that fag ash.

Mike Jenks

Hi Ivan,
I guess you must be a "Grestone Ave." man. Glad to hear that it was still good there. Some report that it was never the same (of course). I'm in touch with Mountford,G. and Morris,M. from about your time; ring any bells?
A mate from 1952-1954 says he bumped into "patch" Tomlinson (Physics) some years ago who was jogging along the canal towpath at Great Barr. Patch is reported to have said that he was one of several masters who left in dispair shortly after the move !
The only teacher I ever saw again was Day of Boulton Road. It was about 25 yrs. ago at the Tyseley Railway Museum. He looked exactly the same - crinkley sticking up hair, leathery deeply lined face, the lot. I had great pleasure in telling him how afraid we were of his fierce countenance and this pleased him enormously. He seems a really nice bloke. He didn't remember me of course nor any of the other lads I mantioned until I named Roger Palser. That did it. Palser was outstanding in everything, gladly acknowledged by us all at the time, a really nice chap and ginger haired too. Day remembered him well and told me of his progress to being a senior lecturer at Hull University at that time.
Goffey gleefully recalls the "Black Hole". Yeah! I lost my nice clean new cap down there in the first week. It fell among wet waste paper, orange peel, broken test tubes and coke dust. The leering seniors leaned over the wall, salivating in readiness. Then a stroke of luck - a classmate's nice shiney new satchel was hurled down amid cheers. It's retrieval was a high priority and the noble owner braved the downpour to recover it, returning my cap at the same time. To my shame I forget his name.
There was a lesser Black Hole at Boulton Road, barely worthy of the name: at the very bottom of the slope beyond the prefabricated building which served as both classroom and dining room, was a locked iron gate reached by just three steps down. It was not much more than a metre square but the surrounding raillings made a convenient pen where a few unfortunates could be corralled for a dose of verbal intimidation.
Sorry, I've rambled on again, must close, but.......remember SHELDRAKE ? ! !

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh Chemistry. Sheldrake was the only master I ever met outside School. Many years after leaving I was at a formal dinner and presentation and Sheldrake was sitting a few places away, I tried to talk to him but when he realised I was from HTS he did not want to know.

I agree with Mike and Rupert re. "Jackie,the teacher"; he certainly made Logs. and the Slide Rule seem like fun; it was "Jackie,the man" over whom I had misgivings.
Can't say that I'm surprised at Sheldrakes reaction, Mike. He always seemed a bit aloof. Did your lot ever try to immitate his voice? If you really tighten the muscles at the top of your throat and try to yell "Come here you boys" you may get it. We had a cruel streak! Perhaps the hydrogen sulphide which pervaded the corridor to the lab. had attacked his vocal cords. He told us a salutary tale of a lad in a previous year who had stolen a lump of phospherous from the oil filled jar. The details of the burns to leg and trousers were an effective deterrant! He could be human: One time we were distilling "Kuait Crude" and he allowed the end product to be tried in the model aero diesel engines some lads brought to school (remember the ED Bee,Frog 500, etc.). They wouldn't run on the stuff and there were many sore fingers.
Any memories of "Cook", English at Boulton Rd.? He intrduced Steinbeck to us (thanks) and Dr.Johnson (no thanks) and also ran an after-school Film Club (thanks again).

Hi

Amazing memory that Film Club at Boulton Road after School.
We were glued to it. I remember Scott of the Antartic with
John Mills in Colour.
I dont rember anything at Craythorne Ave except it was a virtual
building site for the whole time I was there. Gone were the shops
on the Soho Road must of ate Tons of George Bains donuts.
The tuck shop in Union Row it was bliss then to be stuck
opposite Hamstead Collery. A few of us were TRain Spotters
and my mate bought his binnoculars in for the 11-00 Scot
out of New St. He got it all right and a beating off Rice I think.

Mike Jenks

hi

The difficulty I have with this site is from 1960 to
1964 I spent those years on Day and Night School whilst
being an Apprentice. So Goldshill Road became part 2.
The Technical Colledge Staff were entirely different people
of great paitence and extreemly helpful.

Mike Jenks

The Union Row tuck shop must have been at the bottom of the "garden" of one of the shops on the Soho Rd. A glass of orange cordial cost one penny. We sometimes used the annex in the old church too. It's now a Sikh Gurdwara! The bakers shop across the road near the traffic lights I recall as Broadheads. They sold stale cakes at a very cheap price and some of my classmates misappropriated their dinner money. I was on free school meals with the embarrasment of a different coloured ticket, so no spare cash. We could get to Boulton Rd. via a little ally on the left where there was always a shifty looking fat bloke hanging about. Other men would aproach furtively, scraps of paper would change hands, then swiftly depart. We learned that he was a "Bookie's Runner", an exciting brush with the criminal underworld!
While we're outside; how about the fire station? There was one fairly modern appliance called Dennis and a lovely old antique called Merryweather. From the classroom next to Bryant's office one could look down on the firemen's yard and watch their P.T. or their rollcall parade: Hugh Pugh, Barney Magrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb.

I read here about the film club at Boulton and remember it well in 55 but no one seems to remember or mention Charlie Flutter who was the head at Boulton in those times. A superbe Math teacher who could also underestand a bit of fun.
In connection with the film club one remembers the fake announcement of coming attractions that was made by the boys and pinned to the notice board...one in particular, a western starring Two Gun Flutter. From that day on Charlie was known as Two Gun by our third year group.
Another time in the winter, a snowball was put on top of the door,slightly ajar, and we all watched...waiting for Two Gun to arrive at the classroom...witch was the first at the north entrance. He arrived and held the door knob for a few minutes whilst he had a conversation with another teacher. Our eyes were transfixed on the snowball ballanced above his head. Finally he opened the door...and the sowball sat on top of it and stayed there, only to fall off as it closed and Two Gun had safely negotiated the trap. At first he could not understand the laughter that had broken out and then he looked down and saw the remains of the ball of snow. At which he had a good laugh himself. I often wonder how many of that class is still alive...one does not realise it but one may be seeing these lads for the last time on the break-up of the last day.

Having been at the school, my memories of it do not seem as good as some I've enjoyed reading about in the thread. Teachers I had forgotten appear in my memory as I read their names. I did notice the other month, that I still have a Logarithm book from the school which I forgot to hand in when I left.
icon12.gif

Easy,Old Mo, I'm fairly sure we had to buy those log tables ourselves. Anyone confirm this? I still have mine too but it's rather dogeared.
Flutter was a background figure to my lot seeming not to teach the "engineers" classes. I guess you and Rupert were "builders"-someone spoke of making a funnel/tundish which we didn't do.
This site is really reviving long forgotten memories: someone remarked on the Boulton Rd. dinners; I don't recall the quality, just the long queue down the playground, especially in winter,and the fumes from the coke stoves.
Did Willie Wetton's name really have an H in it? His history was a real breath of fresh air to me after the repeated visits to the Romans, 1066, and Henry viii that we got at Secondary Mod. We could imagine, looking from his window, Soho Foundry over to the right, the Black Patch, and Boulton and Watt's Soho Manufactory to the left, with Murdoch walking through the fields twirling his oval-turned wooden hat. Before that there were Cottars and Bordars working the strip system prior to the enclosures.But I've forgotten which was which. Thanks Willie.

Yes Diamond, The Log books were ours, still got mine and my slide rule, and somewhere I have one of my school reports, saw it recently.
Goffy

Back