• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells

Just found this thread - thanks for posting the interesting photos Ray.

The 4th one shows my mother's cousin's Butcher shop - Fred Devey - now long gone I would imagine!

every ray...hope you are well..thats an amazing one of furnace lane...looks like during demolision and a fire has got out of hand....

lyn

great pics ray..hunters road is two away from villa st and st marys convent is still there....

thank you.....

lyn

ray on the left of pic 2 post 66 is the carneige..its was a sort of health centre...our mom use to take us kids there for our injections and collect the free bottles of orange juice....nice old building and thats still there too...next time i am down the old end i will get a pic of it...unless of course you come up with one first...

thanks again for the memories

lyn

Ray, those pics are great. Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any pics of the bottom end of Hunters Road, down towards Hockley Brook? Thanks mate.

Barrie.

hi barrie..im just trying to place where exactly your house was...was the newer part of h samuel there when you lived there and were you on that side going towards farm st...

lyn

Ray, thanks for this thread. It was not my side town but dad was from Aston and we lived in A.Green. Dad would sometimes take us to the House that Jack Built, then we waited outside the Bartons while he had a pint and we occasionally went to the Ason Hip. I do remember a lot of it from when I had a motorbike because I was always out and about. I also worked on private hire before it all went under the bulldozers.
Great pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi barrie..im just trying to place where exactly your house was...was the newer part of h samuel there when you lived there and were you on that side going towards farm st...

lyn

Hi Lyn. We lived at 3a back of 18 Hunters Road. It was down an alley at the side of The Bridge Tavern.

The new part of H.Samuels had'nt been built yet, the row of shops (including Mr Eliots drapery shop) were still there. The Bridge Tavern was on the same side of the road as Bains's cake shop.

Barrie.

sorry barrie....i moved round there in 58 and h samuels was there then so i have no recollection of the bridge tav or bains...so did you live on the ground where they built the new part of samuels.

lyn...

Hi Lyn. We lived in a courtyard at the bottom of the alley at the side of the Bridge Tavern, it was about a 100yds down from Hunters Rd. At the very bottom of the alley was a place that cleaned beer barrels, they were called Savilles, next to them was a place that made gravestones, they were called Taronis.

If you stood at the corner of Hunters Rd and Farm St, the Bridge Tavern was on he righthand side.

hi barrie...thanks for that ..... just like to get me bearings...lol...ive been searching my pics and i have one of the benyon arms pub...the location is on the corner of hockley hill / farm st...do you remember that one....

lyn

G'd morning Lyn,
The Benyon,was the headquarters of Birminghams own Shamrock Rovers,a very succesful football club.
The last time I was there c1962,there was a "redundancy Party" going on,and no one would leave at closing time,the gaffer said,his relief hadn't arrived,and he was going on holiday,so he said he would take the keys of the pub, to Kenyon St. police station,and let them to sort it out.

lol ray....i wonder how long before a relief gaffer arrived.....im not sure if ive posted the benyon arms on the forum...its not a single pic but on a sheet with 12 other hockley pubs....if i have it may be under a hockley pub pics thread...will have a look when i get back from shopping...

Lyn

Lyn,
Have just checked the the team sheet for Birminghams own Shamrock Rovers,it was :Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,O'shay and two englishmen,Baglin and Beard.Used to watch them play at Lightwoods Park...they were very good.

wow..thats a lot of kellys ray.....i have just checked and i have not posted the sheet of pubs with the benyon on it....just doing it now...its under various hockley/newtown pubs....

Lyn

hi barrie...thanks for that ..... just like to get me bearings...lol...ive been searching my pics and i have one of the benyon arms pub...the location is on the corner of hockley hill / farm st...do you remember that one....

lyn

Yes I do remember that pub Lyn. Thank you, but I already have a photo of Hockley Brook with the pub on the corner of Farm St. They were posted on here a few months ago. Thank you again.

Barrie.

Brilliant photo's once again thanks Ray........so many memories!

Looking at these pics made me remember something that I could have completely wrong. But was 5 ways known as Islington at one time?

Brilliant photos Ray. I used to go to the Jazz Club at the Royal Oak, Lozells Road. How it's changed now eh? And who'd have imagined riots there?

Maggs: I think that Five Ways in Edgbaston was known as Islington (Islington Row being one of the roads off).

Ray thanks for the photographs they are fantastic. The photograph of Burbury Street in #80 was taken on the corner of Guthrie Street looking down Gordon Street with Burbury Park on the right. Mabz

Ray,

Your pictures bring back memories. Was picture No 3 the old billiard hall in Witton Road? It was on the righthand side approaching Witton Square from Six Ways direction.

Okd Boy

hi mabz....thanks for that..me and our kid were hoping you would log on and confirm where the burbury st one was taken....so i take it that the first st in the foreground would be wheeler st st....(i think) then the street after that i think is lennox....

lyn

ray thank you so much for posting them......

mabz..had a look on the map and i now think the two streets in the foreground must be berners st and wilton st...told you i was hopeless at directions....lol...

lyn

mabz..had a look on the map and i now think the two streets in the foreground must be berners st and wilton st...told you i was hopeless at directions....lol...

lyn

I agree Lyn - they are Berners Street and Wilton Street. Mabz

Back