• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New John Street West & New John Street

J

June Moorby

Hi,

I may be asking the impossible, but does any one
have a photo of New John Street West.

New John Street West.

Hi,
Part 2 of my first mail.
Asking if any one had a photo of New John Street West.

I was born there in 1936 at number 226
and I remember my mom taking me to have a
look at the old house many years ago.
Can any one help. ?

Thank you June.

New John Street West.

Hi,

I have made an error the number should read
266 not 226. Sorry.

June.

New John Street West.

Hello Steve,

Many thanks, I have had a look at your photos.
Very different to the way I remember it.
But things change over the years.. :cry:

Thank you again.

Bye June.

Lyn - thanks for the photograph. It has brought back many memories, for instance, the daughter of Mrs Bird the shop owner mentioned went to either Farm Street or Harry Lucas if my memory serves me correct. Also, when Horace Edwards vacated his cycle shop premises we (me and my mates) moved in. There was loads of things that we scavenged.......... An early form of re-cycling I presume?

June have a look in my photo's there is a pic of St.Edwards in New John St. West,it's possible you were baptised there.

June,
It looks like I was wrong,my photo seems to be St.Georges,and St Edwards was bombed in 1942.

John,
Had an uncle living in Asylum Rd in 1960,he lived in the house at the bottom of the first yard from "The Stork".also knew a family who lived there back in the 1930s.

The Newtown Row end of Asylum Road, had the Post Office on one corner and The Stork on the opposite corner. Most of the little shops were owned by the Smith family.

MallyB Thanks for the photo i'm sure John will be pleased and for the information at the bottom of the photo. Jean.

June,
Here is a picture of New John Street West, but i dont know if it is anywhere near your mothers house.
I think it is the first time it has been shown on the forum,i bet Lyn likes it.
Moss.

wow..moss..how on earth did i miss that one...just caught up with it...brillient pic...thanks..

lyn

Back