• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

I was born in the Sorrento Hospital in January 1945. According to the family story, my father drove my mother there in their red MG sports car - I forget the model, but they were quite popular and sought after! The dilemma was that he had the task of driving me there fast to make sure I was not born on the floor of the MG. On the other hand, the faster he drove the more the more bumpy the ride and the greater the threat of my arriving before we all reached the hospital.

There was to be another 'dilemma' shortly after I was born. It seems that as I (allegedly) was brought to my mother for an early feed, my mother sensed that she had been given another baby! 'My' 'swaddling clothes' were eventually unwrapped to 'prove' that 'I' was not 'me'! The baby about to suckle had normal toes. I had two webbed toes on both feet. The real 'I' was recovered about to suckle from an Eastern European lady. You can draw your own conclusions about what might have happened had I not been born with webbed toes!

I was interested in the postings about the hospital being known as the 'Stork Hospital'. Certainly, that was the family 'story' on how babies were brought into the world - said with knowing near merriment. Also, the posting about 'sugar bag' babies. Again, my mother frequently referred to very small premature babies in terms of sugar bags.

Lord Richard

The same thing happened to me!!! After a bombing raid, my mother was given "me" to feed, and she insisted the baby was not hers. Finally, my mother was satisfied with the baby she was given. I too have wondered, did my mother really know who I was! Seems the nurses did this on a regular way

Lord Richard you were lucky as my sister was born there in April 1945 - it could have been a lot worse.

Hello Bro & Sisa Sorentinos. I too was born in this magical sounnding place in March 1945 before being taken home to Sparkhill. Any ideas when it started?

Here's a receipt for Confinement(birth) at Sorrento year1942 before the good old NHS my Brother.
Me born Dudley Road only £3:5s:0d for me, done on the cheap.

In June 1960 I was born at Copthorne Hospital, Shrewsbury, 2 months premature.
I was baptised in the Hospital Chapel, then whisked away to the Sorrento Hospital where I spent 2 maybe 3 months. In those days my parents didn't have a car and could not afford to visit and had to depend on the local nursing Sister to phone and check on my progress.
I have always wondered who looked after me for the first few months of my life and it must have been really hard for my Mum, having given birth and not being to have that initial bond with her new born baby.
Are there any records available from the Sorrento? It would be interesting to find out more.
Netty1

For the best information on Sorrento click on Main Sites at the head of this page, click on Birmingham B14, scroll down to War Years, scroll down to Moseley and Sorrento hospitals. Text and pictures are brilliant.

For the best information on Sorrento click on Main Sites at the head of this page, click on Birmingham B14, scroll down to War Years, scroll down to Moseley and Sorrento hospitals. Text and pictures are brilliant.

Thank you for that it was really interesting and what a grand looking place. It's hard to imagine actually being there and the first face I would have seen would have been that of a nurse and not my Mum.

:)

Following a visit to Birmingham last week found the site of Sorrento Hospital on Wake Green Road. Sadly now a block of low level flats. Aptly named "Sorrento"
Us Sorrentinos still have a place to remember!

Not of the block of flats,
Pictures of the original Sorrento are on this site. Go to Main Sites at head of this page, click on B14. Scroll down to war years, scroll down to sorrento hospital.

I was born in Sorrento as well Jan 21st, 1953. And I always had a mad urge to go to.....................Melbourne!

I have so enjoyed reading all the SORRENTO MEMORIES!! M kes me a little sad though,:cry:..I was born in Sorrento Hospital , Oct. 26th. 1950. My parents always talked about it.... but when my brother was born 2 years later I was sent to Father Hudson's Homes in Coleshill to be looked after the nuns for 3 weeks cos there was no one to look after me. my parents were Polish and didn't know anyone well enough to trust me with. !!! When thay came to pick me up and I had forgotten who they were...so they say!!:(

Hanna that reminds me that I was said to have forgotten my Mom when she came back from Hospital wiht my little sister. I hid.

Now this reminds me that I and my sister always understood that she was born in Sorrento but when asking her to dig out some information for me she discovered that according to her birth certificate she was actually born at Selly Oak. Now why on earth would we have been told it was Sorrento?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hann thta reminds me that I was said to have forgotten my Mom when she came back from Hospital wiht my little sister. I hid.

Now this reminds me that I and my sister always understood that she was born in Sorrento but when asking her to dig out some information for me she discovered that according to her birth certificate she was actually born at Selly Oak. Now why on earth would we have been told it was Sorrento?
That's where Sorrento Hospital was. My birth Cert says 15, Wake Green Rd.

Back