• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

You are right Maggs. I think there was a Dolls Hospital in Broad Street somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where in the street it was.

Judy

Does anyone remember the beautiful Marshall and Snelgrove shop in New Street? I used to pop to C & A in my lunch hour to get a new dress for the weekend. They seemed well made and the very latest styles. What about the starlings that roosted in the city every evening...so noisy, and they used to stop the Big Brum clock landing on the hands. Memories eh?

Maggs.

BERNIE D'BOULT;
When The Model Aerodrome closed they moved to Alum Rock Road facing
the Capitol cinema just in the corner by the bridge. The owners son was named
Chris and he went on to be a rep for Solido diecast cars. Imet him in later years.

Hi El-Stano,your memories almost mirror my own.Trying to start some of those old british diesels was quite a task at times.I think the only easy starter was a Mills 75,but I didn't like them 'cause they looked 'old-fashioned'! The late spring you mention is correct,if I remember correctly 1963 was the year of the real bad freeze-up. I don't suppose you get much of that ehere you appear to be now, best wishes, Mal.

Hi El-Stano,your memories almost mirror my own.Trying to start some of those old british diesels was quite a task at times.I think the only easy starter was a Mills 75,but I didn't like them 'cause they looked 'old-fashioned'! The late spring you mention is correct,if I remember correctly 1963 was the year of the real bad freeze-up. I don't suppose you get much of that ehere you appear to be now, best wishes, Mal.
Funny you should say that. Nov-Feb in Murcia were officially the coldest for about 30 years. Some of the locals are threatening to throw us out for jinxing them ;-) and yesterday it poured down for 16 hours :-(
Cheers,
Stan

In the late 50’s I managed to acquire about 11 different types of engine, some with glow plugs, but my favourite was a 2.5 c.c. diesel that I used in many of my designs. And also the diesel fuel tasted better than glow plug juice! lol

Graham.

Hi all,anybody who has an interest in the early days of model shops and model-making in Birmingham should google : model aerdrome; when site comes up, click :memoirs 2. There you will find a hilarious account ,by Dave Day,of modelling and model shops in Birmingham from the late '40's until '75. This shows models,old adverts,old shops and kit manufacturers,prices of items long ago,plus many well-known modellers are mentioned. Absolutely riveting stuff, well worth a visit, cheers all, Mal.

Mal,

Thanks for the link and after reading through Dave Day's (great) memoirs I'm now glad that in the 60's I became a mad cyclist, the ultimate cure for CLAD (control line aircraft disease).
icon10.gif

Graham.

I know this isn't Aston but can anyone help settle an argument I have had with a friend, I recalled a wonderful toy shop which may have been a model toy shop which was located at the corner of Stephenson Street and
Navigation Street, just past the old entrance to New Street Station before
redevelopment, I loved to look in there it was a treasure trove to me as a child. When we used to go to catch a tram to the Lickeys I always lingered
looking in the window but never went inside. My friend disputes this and said I'm thinking of a shop near the back of Rackhams somewhere. Help
I can't recall the name.

I know this query dates from 2003, six yrs ago !!! but here's a pic of the shop in question which I found in one of Alton Douglas' books and have scanned ( I hope he won't mind, though to be fair he plundered the Evening Mail archives for most of his pics I heard LOL ) The pic hasn't scanned too well and I can't make out the actual name of the shop, but I think it is Horntons ( they had another shop over the road from this one ) To see the pic clearly, right click it then click open link then enlarge by clicking the symbol which appears when you put the cursor at the bottom right corner of the pic
I remember the shop myself and used to gaze longingly in the window aged about 8.
I think this site is now more or less where the entrance to the NCP car park is

Silhouette, many, many thanks for posting the photo of the model shop, it is definitely the one I had in mind when I posted all those years ago. I will show my friend although he has probably forgotten the argument by now.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that shop was definitely called Hornton's. They were more model railways than aircraft, and a bit up-market for me, but a very good shop all the same. There was a train layout in the window which you could start by placing your hand over a photo-electric cell on the window.

Big Gee

Big Gee

You are correct the name of the model shop was Horntons (Models & Toys) 15 Navigation St, Birmingham 4.

Phil

Big Gee

You are correct the name of the model shop was Horntons (Models & Toys) 15 Navigation St, Birmingham 4.

Phil

Yes, and all gone now. we had two famous shops here in Wolverhampton:-

Sherwood Miller

Fenwicks.

Richie.

Heres a couple of other names for you to play with, please forgive the pun.

Phil

Attachments

• The Model Shop Advert .jpg
    The Model Shop Advert .jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Wyatt & Tzzard Advert .jpg
    Wyatt & Tzzard Advert .jpg
    97 KB · Views: 11
Yes, and all gone now. we had two famous shops here in Wolverhampton:-

Sherwood Miller

Fenwicks.

Richie.

There was also Bill Daniel's shop in the Mander Centre, moved to near Banks's Brewery. I think the only shop left in Wolvo now is Penn Models.

The internet killed off model shops, plus very few 'modellers' scratch-build these days. Cars, boats and aircraft all come ready-built and ready-to-run. Even basic stuff like balsa-wood is difficult to get nowadays. Sad, really, but unfortunately symptomatic of a generation that has little or no feel for skill.

Big Gee

Back