• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wheeler Street lozells

thank mike...i have been trying to find a reference to this morgue that has connections with the acorn but so far i have come up with nothing....do you think it may show up on an old map of wheeler st....

lyn

Possibly, but a lot of the maps of this period weren't very detailed. There is nothing on the maps on the mapseeker website. The 1839 map doesn't go up that far, b ut it looks like there wasn't much north of the area it does cover
Mike

Does anyone remember Bert Steel who had a butchers shop in Wheeler St.? his wife managed it in the late 1940s and 1950s.Although I was his butcher's boy,at his other shop in Upper Sutton St.I used to run errands between the two shops.
Can't remember which corner it was on.

The one at Upper sutton st is listed as Frank A, and the one at Wheeler st as Frank H. The wheeler st one was on the west side, corner of Bridge St West.
mike

Thanks for the info Mike.Herbert (Bert) Steel,owned both shops but in his absence during the war,his father Frank took care of the business, and he, also owned the market hall in Newtown Row.

morning ray..if you are interested in bsw pics there are quite a few under that thread....

lyn

hey ray..less of the old...actually less of the fool too....

bsw....bridge street west...lol

lyn

ps but type in bridge street west in the search box

Found a picture of my Gt uncle and his family taken I think on Wheeler Street outside Dawns Cafe.. does anyone remember it?

sorry claire..i dont recall it but once again would love to see the pic...its all history...

lyn

Mom thinks it was there, it'd be from around that area as that's where they lived, it's a great pic and moms cousin has a wicked quiff so i'm assuming it was taken in the 60's.. i'm at moms tomorrow i'll see if i can upload them then :)

Glad you sorted that Ray I thought I was going mad again I ask you BSW

the inside of the acorn pub..dated 1959....chris i hope you see this pic as i beleive your rellies used this pub...our dad is in the foreground reading his paper..but who are the other customers?????

lyn

I had a mate that was a bouncer there in the mid 60s to "look after" the dance patrons.
He told me about one problem that involved his most difficult punch up, he described his adversary as "the hardest i ever come across" ....and it was a WOMAN !. Max

I used to stand on the corner of Farm St and Wheeler st by the greengrocers and wait for clocking off at Lucasses and meeting my mom. When the gares were opened it was like Villa Park at Final Whistle.

I well remember that. I knew his son Ossie. ( also pictured in the Pathe news.} . Winnie used to play the piano in The Acorn. Charlie later bought a house next door to my friend in Elmbridge Rd Perry Bar.. Liz.Thanks for the memory.

jean.

My Father was born at 108 Wheeler Street along with his next older brother and his next Younger brother, he was from a Family of 6 all Boys, the older Boys were born Pype Hays in the Dunlop Houses chester Road, my dad was born 1923.

I well remember that. I knew his son Ossie. ( also pictured in the Pathe news.} . Winnie used to play the piano in The Acorn. Charlie later bought a house next door to my friend in Elmbridge Rd Perry Bar.. Liz.Thanks for the memory.

jean.
Glad you like it

"Bit of useless information for you, Black Sabbath used to play upstairs at The Acorn, In their very early days"

hi bobby..any idea what end of wheeler st that was...

tom thats not usless info at all...well would you beleive it..im a fan of theirs...

lyn

ok bobby..i only asked in case i may have a pic of the house...

see you soon..

Back