• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sarehole Mill

Jackie did you go around the back of Ottermills and see the Tumbling Weir ...rare sight indeed ....some folk have never seen one. I have had this photograph for about 20 years acquired when my brother lived their ..
A bit off thread but worth seeing (so if you want to find out anymore about it look on the net)

we have a tidal mill just out of town at carew we walk past it regularly but over easter we had a look inside and i was thinking all these mills have closed down ware do they grind the flower now

Re: Memories of the Mill

Stephen
I know this post was a while ago but I have only recently joined. My husband's ancestors were millers at Sarehole Mill. John's 3x Great Grandfather John Andrew (wife Alice Wadsworth) moved there sometime between 1851 (when he was at Mercote Mill in Sheldon) and 1861. His grandson George (wife Hannah King) took over milling there in the 1870's and it was his son George Andrew Junior who died there in 1959. Would love to share what info I have if you and find out how you are related.
All the best, Joan (Andrew)

Hi Joan,
I would be very interested if you could post some of your millers on here for Sarehole, I have some of the census's, if you look in the history section of this site you will see that I am doing (Now a large one) project on the mills of Warwickshire, past and present, everyday something new is being added. If I can use your memories/info I would be very grateful.
Regards Loisand :)

Some great shots of this wonderful old mill. I've got an un-healthy fascination with old mills, and have visited some less well preserved examples over the last couple of years. Sarehole is a great place, and well worth a visit.

we have a tidal mill just out of town at carew we walk past it regularly but over easter we had a look inside and i was thinking all these mills have closed down ware do they grind the flower now

All gone electric now Fred. Here in Flanders there are still some windmills that grind flower to make bread but at a price.

Graham.

virusman26, you are not the only one with an unhealthy-appetite for mills, me to....I just find them facsinating, and have an ongoing project of all the mills in Warwickshire, which even though I say so myself is very good to read. What makes it even better now is for the last 12 months I have concentrated on my family tree and have discovered that one of my relations actually ran one of the mills that i was studying, which was fabulous....so perhaps I now know where my fascination has come from :)

loisand, that sounds fantastic! Do you have it online to read? The best mill I've been inside is the now burned down JN Miller flour mill in wolverhampton. The place was an utter death trap, but there were still the overhead power wheels that drove the machinery in place. Great explore!

Great stuff! If anyone wants to see the old mill in Wolves, there's a few photo's here.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8776781@N02/sets/72157603886388623/

and a few for those not too fussed.....

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF3096.jpg

HDR2.jpg

HDR3.jpg

virusman, no it isn't, only because I don't have a clue how to, I'm just a mere woman that can only do cetrain things on a computer, and I usually mess that up :D I love your pictures. Have you taken any of the building, which I think is a mill, and for the life of me I can't remember the name, as you come out of town, heading towards Saltley on the lefthand side, just behind a pub beginning with S, there is a derelict building (I will have to look up my notes), it has a hopper attached to the side of it, about 4-5 storeys high. I keep saying to my husband we must try a way to get in, but he isn't as nosy as me, so he keeps putting it of (the pubs name is the sportsman)????:) Just ask if you want any info on any mills and I will see what I have. The pictures that you took of the Wolverhampton one, I haven't any info, only because it was outside the warwickshire area!!

Last edited:
Izzy, forgot to say your models are fantastic, what are they made out of please, and you must be a very patient person, are they just the shell or have they got the different sections inside...love them :)

Izzy, forgot to say your models are fantastic, what are they made out of please, and you must be a very patient person, are they just the shell or have they got the different sections inside...love them :)

The models are all made of wood inc 6 different plywood s right down to paper thin 1/64" I was a modelmaker until I recently retired & my other website shows collectors miniature houses etc.
They don't have interiors however as they are meant to show the different types of mill, there is one still to be made & that is a boat mill of which apparently only one was ever known in UK but they were common on the continent & quite a few have survived & been restored.
A boat mill is simply a floating mill that can be anchored midstream in order to turn the sometimes huge paddles.

Have you taken any of the building, which I think is a mill, and for the life of me I can't remember the name, as you come out of town, heading towards Saltley on the lefthand side, just behind a pub beginning with S, there is a derelict building (I will have to look up my notes), it has a hopper attached to the side of it, about 4-5 storeys high. I keep saying to my husband we must try a way to get in, but he isn't as nosy as me, so he keeps putting it of (the pubs name is the sportsman)????:) Just ask if you want any info on any mills and I will see what I have. The pictures that you took of the Wolverhampton one, I haven't any info, only because it was outside the warwickshire area!!

I think the one you mean is here......

DSCF5763.jpg

DSCF5748.jpg

DSCF5710.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8776781@N02/sets/72157607039742722/

It's the old Lalian's flour mill, and what a building it is!!!
I have all the history for all the buildings I've been to, and the mill in Wolverhampton is a very interesting one.......

https://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/listed/cornmill.htm

Oh, and Izzy............AMAZING replicas you do there! I'd love one of the mill in Wolves!!!!:)

Virusman do you mind if I copy that photo, isn't it a beautiful building, so proud and perfect....why oh why do the owners/councils let these magnificant building s go to rack and ruin, last time I went past there were all wild flowers growing from the crevices on the roof...I wish i had the money to buy some of these buildings so I could put them back to what they should be...dream on girl!!!:)

last time I went past there were all wild flowers growing from the crevices on the roof...:)

I took a shot from the window overlooking the roof with the hopper........Rather overgrown!!! LOL!

2815010520_c6124d14f8.jpg

Oh, and my avatar piccy is taken in this mill!!!

I wonder if the cafe owners on the nearby island had permission to call their business "The Hungry Hobbit"?

Back