• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

summer lane morgue

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..took these pics of the old morgue in summer lane the other day...i had completely forgotton it was still there until my sister pointed it out to me...

lyn

The late Brian Harding (The Summer Lane Kid) tried to rent this building he wanted to turn it into a place where he could have his shop but powers to be refused I suppose it will go like the rest under the bulldozer.

I used to drive past it every day at work and Brian Harding wasnt the only one trying to rent it ! ..I believe there is some sort of restriction ?on the use of the building itself ?maybe someone knows what that would be ?

Maybe the council will tell us. Some buildings do have restricted use. I wonder if it's listed?

morning wendy..there is someone i can email regarding this building who should know all about it..will do that later and see if we can get any info...

lyn

Morning Lyn thats a good idea. It seems a shame as it will fall into disrepare. Let us know how you get on.

hi folks..my brother mark has just popped in and he said that the morgue is now a private residence....the building at the back that you see in my pic is all part of the building....the entrance of which is gained from the side street...mark has told me that only a couple of months ago he saw whoever lives there going in...so it looks like its lived in....

lyn

If the new owner has children and one is a girl then she would have to be a goth. Her street cred would be enormous
Mike

I did'nt realise that morgue's were built on there own ,i always thought that they were part of hospitals. Must have been tough in those days lol.

lol mike.

Rob..someone will correct me but i think there may have been a hospital somewhere close..maybe hence the name hospital st....thinking about it i am sure i have a pic of a hospital that was there abouts but i am going back a year now so i will have to dig deep to seek it out...thats if i am right of course...which i am not always...lol

will get back to you on this one....

Lyn

hi rob..yes i was right...there was a hospital in hospital st...next st accross from summer lane...here is a not very good pic of it...

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
According to "Newtown & Summer Lane "(Pub 2006), which has a picture almost identical to yours, except for some bushes either side of the doorway, the morgue was used for deaths of residents of the model lodging house nearby. On the 1913 map the model lodging house is shown as on the corner of hospital st (see below), but on the 1889 map ( https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...4&ox=0&oy=0&zm=1&czm=10&x=154&y=383)Henrietta st doesn't go as far as Summer lane, only to Hospital St, and there is a model lodging house just about where it would later meet Summer Lane, so the lodging house must have been relocated and expanded betwen 1889 and 1913, but the morgue remained at the corner of Henrietta St on the old site.
Mike

map_around_model_lodging_house_c_1913.jpg

hi mike..thank you for all that info....i also have a pic of court 17 hospital st and it does look as though the living conditions were very poor....but fancy living in a morgue....if i thought that the person who lived there now would be amenable or if were cheeky enough(which of course i am not)..lol i would ask him for a look round....

lyn

Alf
For some reason when I go to your link I just get a heading for "Accurate and reliable dictionary" and a blank page below ?
Mike

Back