• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Leigh Road School Washwood Heath

rowan

Born a Brummie
My Mother,born in Nechells, in 1917 never told me what school she went to.

When she was about 10, the family moved to Ward End and I remember hearing her mention a "Lee ? school" does anyone have any idea which school she could have been talking about?

many thanks

Which School

There is a Leigh Road School just off Washwood Heath Road, opposite the offices of Metro-Cammell. The school is still there but unfortunately not the Met. I think this is possibly the school your mother attended.

ROWAN, I have a LEIGH ROAD off Washwood Heath Road & a School I remember being called LEIGH ROAD SCHOOL. Looking at my old A to Z of BIRMINGHAM its on page 65 GRID 1D.
Hope this is the one?
ASTON

Thank you both for your help, I think that is the one she would have gone to when living in Ward End.

Before that she lived in Cattells Grove? Was there a school near there. It would be infants and juniors as she was 10/11 when she left there.

Hi rowan I have three Schools in that area, one between Cromwell St & Rupert St off Rockey Lane, the second is High Park St, the other one in Walter St. All in Birmingham B7.
Sorry I have no names for these Schools. MAY BE SOMONE WIIL HELP!

Which School

Hello Rowan,

Leigh Rd school was boys and girls in the infants, and then boys only in the seniors, I only know because my husband went there, it may have been different earlier on in the century.
Trebor (Rita)

looking for anybody who went to leigh road school washwoodheath in the 60's

Hi Dec: There are loads of names listed on the Friends Reunited site
for Leigh Road School, Washwood Heath in the l960's. Do you have a subscription to Friends Reunited.

hi jennyann thanks for your relpy i am a member of friends united but i found this site and thought i might find more old school mates also looking to hear from anybody who went to highfieldroad washwoodheath school in the late 50's

My first school was Leigh Road Infants and then on to the same Junior School and then on to the same Senior School.

Leigh Road School in Washwood Heath is holding its 100 year anniversary on Tuesday 30th June 2009. doors open at 6.pm followed by entertainment at 7 pm. To resrve a ticket phone school on 0121 464 2261 they have a website at www.leighji.bham.sch.uk
They are asking people tp bring in any old photos,or documents etc about the school.

Last edited:
If anyone has a copy of the 1948/9/50 era junior soccer teams...I would realy like to see a copy. Maybe it might show up at the anniversary.
Rupert

is leigh road school still holding a reunion in july
i think they are we spoke to someone a few weeks ago, and he is on organising committee. if you e mail me closer to july ,i will let you know about it if i find more information. all the best reg morris

i have posted some new information on thread. Event takes place on Tuesday 30th June at 6.00 pm. regards reg

Hi
Can anyone tell me what year Leigh Road Secondary School closed? I know St Joseph RC Primary took over the building in 1963, then The Rosary Scondary in 1970/71. Thanks in advance :)

Macca

Back