• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Manor Park School Vicarage Road

Patty

master brummie
Does anyone remember manor park girls school formally Vicaridge rd?
The head misstress was Miss Plant

Hi Patty

I attended Manor Park and left in 1969 was I was 16 years old.

I remember Miss Plant very well.

Actually a few years ago she came into the Vet Clinic (in Streetly) that I was working at with her dog.

We got chatting and believe it or not she remembered my name.

Do you remember the little dog she used to bring to school - Dusty. She told me Her father bought her her very first "Pom".

Fay

Fay I left 1960-1 yes I remember that dog she carried around everywhere, I was always in her office for something or other.
I would love to go to a reunion i think someone did one once but I wasn't on F U then and missed it

Manor Park

I also went to Manor Park Secondary Modern Girls' School!
I left there in 1970. Our year was the first to take GCE exams, so I stayed on for the 6th Form. Miss Plant used to walk around school with her dog, or carry it along. During a school holiday, she invited us along to her house for Sunday 'Tea'. We thought that it was all very 'posh'. But we did have an enjoyable time. I haven't been able to return to the area for MANY years now, but the last time that I went into 'Town', I made sure that I tried to look for the school as I travelled along the motorway. We were very lucky to have the 'New Building', and the 'Gymn', built whilst I was still there. Does anyone remember Miss Lloyd-Langston, the PE teacher, or Mrs. Clarke, the History teacher? It was a good school back then, and the staff were always very supportive of 'their' girls'. Although I must say that it felt very strange when we went into the world with 'boys'!!!

I left a bit earlier than you and the teachers i can recall were, Mrs bacon the french teacher in the prefabs, Miss Knowler the art teacher who we played up no end,Mrs Hillier the P E teacher who ruled with a rod of iron,Mrs Shipley for needle work and my memory fails me for the others I'm sure they will come back. In needle work we had to make navy knickers for P E and an apron for cookery it was green gingham and we had to do smocking on the top. We all had to make a dress in the last term for leaving in I can remember mine it was red and black check with a big collar and a big black patent belt. I can remember the gondola baskets we used to take for cookery that kept snagging your tights. Oh we had to make a tennis dress too and a hockey skirt, we would have to walk down to Aston Park in all weather in our little short skirts doubt if they would allow it today.
just remember the other teacher Miss Roper she was really old fashioned and always wore a long tweed skirt and blouse with a button up cardigan over and a brooch at the neck. We used to play her up something horrid.
I remember her getting that frustrated that she couldn't control us that she said " I will go to the staff room till you can all behave and Pat come and fetch me when you have all settled down" well I never went till then end off the lesson. You thought then that you couldn't wait to leave school but really they were the best days.

Manor Park

Patty - I know what you mean about those hockey skirts. I had to play 'right half', and usually my knees were red raw from the cold.
We too had to make the green gingham cookery apron. It seems, we had to follow a set pattern of making things. I did enjoy taking 'Needlework' for my certificate. I was the only one in my year to do it - a lovely white dress and jacket, lined!! I hate sewing now. I won't even sew a button on a shirt!! (Terrible aren't I?)
The year before I left, one of the girls' accidentally put sugar, into 'someone's' petrol tank. Amazingly, there were no repercussions!!!!
I remember wearing my school skirt. It was sooo long. When the advent of the mini-skirt arrived, we would roll it over, and over, and over the waistband to make it shorter. It must have put several inches onto our waists though.
When we first went to the school, it was so big to us. I would hate to have to attend some of the modern day schools - they really are huge.

Hi guys this is my first post and I am glad to be here.
Can any help? Would like to get to know those of you who were in or around Aston 1956 onwards......... or who attended Manor Park Secondary school arouind 1960/61

thanks Steve.

I certainly do remember Miss Vera Plant and her orange pomeranian dog. I left the school in 1966 and have for the past 27 years lived in Adelaide. Australia. Have often wondered what has happened to my old school friends so if anyone remembers me my name was Diane Turner (now White) and would love to receive any information of old school friends.

Pat I have still got my baby doll pyjamas and pants [harvest festivals] I made with smocking on the top. Miss Plant is still alive but unfortunately has the start of dementure. Mrs Bond visits her quite often so I have been told by an old school friend. Will sort some old photo's out and hope they have not been put on before of the Cookery block and tennis courts. Jean.

This is one on leaving day with Ivy Price Marion Hardwick and Jean ??????. I've been in touch with Ivey by phone and her and Marion went on holiday together many years ago met two young men on the Isle of Wight married them later and live close by one another in Basinstoke. Jean.

was any of you ladies at vicarage rd during the fifties
and can any body recalling a teacher or head mistress having there arm in a sling possible broken ,? at vicarage rd
best wishs astonian ;;

Astonian I took that photo on the 12th of July 1962 and I am trying to think back at a teacher with her arm in a sling. I remember Mrs Green -she was lovely] hurting her arm would that haver been her?. That photo was the day we left scholl. Jean.

Phew what a releif Jean, I thought you were going to put a photo of you in your baby dolls on

Maybe I should. It would give everyone a good laugh Pat. An old friend has just sent me two lovely photo's through of the Scherezade production. Will try and put them on. We are all showing a bit of midriff though. Hope my spelling is ok. Jean.

Pat it was at the town hall but not the one with the waves. I remember that and I was a pale blue wave at the front [surf I think] and I can still remember the music and the moves to that. The other was when Kargaret Padget played the Sultan and I was one of the Hareem dancers. Denise is on it and Pat Sheldon sent it. I stayed on remember and the two classes were integrated to make the fifth form and Pat moved up with Pauline Blackwell and Pauline Brotherhood [Brens cousin]. Will put it on later. Jean.

The photo I promissed to put on. I am front row second left. Will take a closer look and see how many I can put names to. Jean.

Hope this is larger????. Front row. Denise Barry [Hodson] myself Marion Hardwick Brenda Brown Pauline Brotherhood don't know and Joyce Brittain. The rest. [Kneeling] Dianne Thornton Vicky Danbury [saddly died last year] Dianne Partridge Jackie Jennings and Pat Sheldon [kneeling]. Fingers crossed. Jean.

Maybe you had a bad foot Pat?. Don't know unless you are on the group one that I will forward to you. Was the other production the Tempest and we were the sea and I remember a load of little urchins running all over the stage?. Jean.

Baz I thought my spelling was incorrect missed the H out. Did you see the group photo?. Pat has some more to send but of what I don't know. Jean.

Your picture Jean - what a bevvy of beauties, I can see me, Diane Thornton and Joyce Brittain (must try and print a copy for her) other faces I recognise but at this moment can't put names to them

Sylvia do you know how Dianne is only we lost touch as people do. She used to work at Jolleys electrical Witton. Jean.

Denise sorry I should have said to go back a page where I have posted all of the names apart from one. Not bad for my age I guess. I have your photo on the fountain tucked away somewhere. I will e.mail the dancers photo with another of the full cast. Can you remember the girls name in the middle of yours only I have found her on another that I will put on when I find it. TTFN. Jean.

Back