• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

factory fire service

They had a Fire service at Benton & Stone Bracebridge St Ashford Street a little Fire Engine I remember :)

Until about 1980 most of Birmingham's larger factory's had an internal fire brigade. My Father was the Senior Officer and head of security at Joseph Lucas from 1946 until he retired about 1977.
There was an organisation called The Birmingham Private Fire Brigades Association. All of the factories were members. This organisation organised ( among other things ) an annual competion between the factory brigades.
Until his death my Father was the President of the organisation.
When I can get into the loft I will ( if I did not dump them when I moved ) sort out some Photos of some of these competitions.

story has it that the fire team from Mitchells and Butlers always got to fires in Smethwick before the appliances from the local station at Rolfe Street!!

The BSA had two engines that were kept spotlessly clean and highly polished but they were a bit embarrassed one day when they scrambled for a fire near the old ammo dump, by the time they got there the fire had already been put out by the regular fire brigade

Ddunlop Fire Brigade

John, what is the date of your picture, please?

My Grandfather was Fire Safety Officer or similar at Fort Dunlop in the 50s after he left the Birmingham Fire Service.

I'm sure I have some photos, but probably only of the people, rather than the kit.

I know they still have there own fire service at the Land Rover,so I suppose there still is in the larger factory's.

Co-op Fire Brigade at their depot in Great Brook Street Nechells 1941.

pmc1947

NechellsGreatBrookStCo-opFireService.jpg

Mitchell's and Butler's Fire Brigade

I was a regular visitor to Cape Hill in the 1960s and 70s. They had an impressive fire fighting set-up, several vintage appliances and the Station Officer was permanent full-time. Everything sparkled magnificently. They were first call out within 1 mile, or maybe 1/2 mile, of the brewery. Once I stumbled on them fighting a house fire, having beaten the City brigade by some considerable time.

Until about 1980 most of Birmingham's larger factory's had an internal fire brigade. My Father was the Senior Officer and head of security at Joseph Lucas from 1946 until he retired about 1977.
There was an organisation called The Birmingham Private Fire Brigades Association. All of the factories were members. This organisation organised ( among other things ) an annual competion between the factory brigades.
Until his death my Father was the President of the organisation.
When I can get into the loft I will ( if I did not dump them when I moved ) sort out some Photos of some of these competitions.
Mike, May i ask if your name is Tindal ?, the Head Fireman/Security had that name, i worked at Shaftmoor Lane from 1961 to 1989.

Len, The name is Guest. My father was Security services manager for the Lucas Org. all fire and security for Lucas in G.B.

JOHN,champion pic.i worked at dunlop 1n the late 60s.in internal transport.and remember the fire engine,and the bike with all the seats on it.what a job to ride it.the engine some times would not start.i pushed it with a fork truck. pete

Joseph Lucas Auxiliary Fire Team, BW3, 1973, back row, A.Seville, M.Mackenzie, J.Poyner: front. J.Burns, A.Crawford, R.Brown. Alan Seville, a Toolmaker left Lucas and became a Football League Referee and Assessor, well respected by Players and Football League Officials.

Mike-g, Shaftmoor Lane, Chief Fireman/Security was a Mr. Tindel, after he retired Des Dyer took charge.

Re: Mitchell's and Butler's Fire Brigade

I was a regular visitor to Cape Hill in the 1960s and 70s. They had an impressive fire fighting set-up, several vintage appliances and the Station Officer was permanent full-time. Everything sparkled magnificently. They were first call out within 1 mile, or maybe 1/2 mile, of the brewery. Once I stumbled on them fighting a house fire, having beaten the City brigade by some considerable time.

Following in the footsteps of my father, I worked at M & B from 1966 to 1974. If my memory is correct the names I recall of the people who were connected with the works fire brigade before & during my time there were:

Fred James.
Bert Fisher.
Vick Stanworth.
Ralph Ford.
Charlie Porter-Station Officer-Retired, moved to Wellington, Telford.
Keith Porter- Joined West Milands Ambulance Service in approx 1974.
Vernon Fisher-Worked at Cape Hill until it's closure.
Malcolm Parsons.
John Smith.
Ivan Styles.
Maurice Coley.
Alf Woodward.
Mr.?(Jock).

Surgery Officer-Ernie Mole.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If I think of more names, then I add them to the list.

Regards,
Michael Whitehouse

Pics of the Morris Comercial fire brigade, & the major Morris East Works fire in 1964 .
Most of the works industrial brigades were members of the Birmingham District Industrial Fire Brigades Association who promoted social activities & competion drills.

Attachments

• B.D.I.F.B.A. Badge.jpg
    B.D.I.F.B.A. Badge.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 11
  • BDIFBAhatbadge.jpg
    BDIFBAhatbadge.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Drews Gypsy.jpg
    Drews Gypsy.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DrewsL Gypsy.jpg
    DrewsL Gypsy.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
  • GypsyF.jpg
    GypsyF.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
From 1964 till 1973 I was a member of the Triplex factory fire brigade in Kings Norton, we were volunteers and worked in the factory, upon hearing the fire alarm we all attended the incident, the fire tender was driven by whoever was nearest the station to the job.
At weekends we attended competitions at various factory sportsgrounds around the birmingham area, and ran out hoses and jets to strike targets, we manhandled trailor pumps and suction hoses into position, it was all good fun, the best teams took home the bruises and trophies at the end of the day.
The Birmingham and District Fire Brigades Association organised these get togethers as well as fire training courses held at Morris Commercial at Drews lane on sunday mornings, we studied fire theory, pump drills etc, breathing apperatus wearing and use training was done at Birmingham fire service headquarters.
They were great times, it was an enjoyable experience, all the hard training after our shifts finished kept us fit and agile, ready for the next time the bells went down.
After leaving the Triplex I joined the fire team fulltime at a large car factory near Birmingham from 1973 till 1983, thats another good load of memories.

As a matter of interest.The Morris LD fort Dunlop ambulance has been preserved and is part of the collection of the ambulanceheritagesociety.com based in Mansfield

Fisher and Ludlow also had their own fire service,my father joined them after leaving Birmingham Fire Brigade in 1950.I still have a medal that he won in the works fire brigades competions.
the Morris Commercial Fire Engine is in the museum at Leyland.

My father worked at the Land Rover Solihull for around 30 years, he tells a tale of their Fire Service who had a Land Rover Fire Engine it was called out to an incident inside the works one day. As it headed towards the fire the brakes failed, the engine and I expect crew, went sailing into the heart of the fire! Not the best advert for one of their own products!

At Fort Dunlop in the 60/70's they used to have an Austin Gypsy small fire Engine, and the Ambulance Car they used was an A60 Estate which used to take the walking wounded to Hospital. There was always a permenant staff manning the fire Station 24/7 at the Fort back then because of the volatile materials and liquids that were used in the tyre making process. We used to have to Get permits to do any Maintenance/Welding work and have a fireman stand and watch if it was a hazardous working area.

From 1964 till 1973 I was a member of the Triplex factory fire brigade in Kings Norton, we were volunteers and worked in the factory, upon hearing the fire alarm we all attended the incident, the fire tender was driven by whoever was nearest the station to the job.
At weekends we attended competitions at various factory sportsgrounds around the birmingham area, and ran out hoses and jets to strike targets, we manhandled trailor pumps and suction hoses into position, it was all good fun, the best teams took home the bruises and trophies at the end of the day.
The Birmingham and District Fire Brigades Association organised these get togethers as well as fire training courses held at Morris Commercial at Drews lane on sunday mornings, we studied fire theory, pump drills etc, breathing apperatus wearing and use training was done at Birmingham fire service headquarters.
They were great times, it was an enjoyable experience, all the hard training after our shifts finished kept us fit and agile, ready for the next time the bells went down.
After leaving the Triplex I joined the fire team fulltime at a large car factory near Birmingham from 1973 till 1983, thats another good load of memories.

I worked at Triplex for a while, in '68. I tried the fire service for a bit, (extra money !), but didn't keep it up.
I seem to remember a bloke called Billy Slack was part of the team.

As a matter of interest.The Morris LD fort Dunlop ambulance has been preserved and is part of the collection of the ambulanceheritagesociety.com based in Mansfield

The Fort Dunlop Fire Engine.

Attachments

• Fort Dunlop Fire Station .jpg
    Fort Dunlop Fire Station .jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 49
Triplex fire brigade photos taken approx 1967-8GetAttachment[1].jpg

Attachments

• Jim Fraser (me) at Triplex with AOM53B.JPG
    Jim Fraser (me) at Triplex with AOM53B.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 37
When i worked at LR the story had changed slightly, apparently the appliance had been driven to a fire in i believe the old P5 trim shop, and whilst the crew
were tackling the blaze it somehow got behind them and the fire vehicle caught alight and was lost.

My father worked at the Land Rover Solihull for around 30 years, he tells a tale of their Fire Service who had a Land Rover Fire Engine it was called out to an incident inside the works one day. As it headed towards the fire the brakes failed, the engine and I expect crew, went sailing into the heart of the fire! Not the best advert for one of their own products!

Back