• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GRANGE ROAD, SMALL HEATH

J

Jerry

I LIVED IN PUGH ROAD ASTON IN THE SIXTIES BUT I WAS BROUGHT UP AT 146 GRANGE ROAD, SMALL HEATH. DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE ANY MEMORIES OF THE AREA? 8) :steaming:

grange road

I don't have memories but have been researching the Underhill branch in the family, my grandmothers uncle and her cousin apparently had shops or business's in Grange Road 63 and 64. Emma her cousin died in 1987 aged 94, I can go as far as 1936 but did she still trade in 63 or 64 Grange Road in the 60's I don't know. She was a fried fish dealer and Joseph her father a Tripe Dresser do you recall a Fish and chip shop there?

Grange Road B10

Hi everyone

I'm doing some searching to trace my partners Father. Oddly her birth certificate states that at time of Birth her address was 1 Beech Avenue, Grange Road, Birmingham B10.

However I can find Grange Road Small heath but I can't find any record at all of Beech Avenue!

Does anyone have any ideas such as was it demolished etc?

My best regards

Marc:)

Hi Marc.
I was born and bred in the area you are interested in. There were some terraces running off Grange Rd and one of these could possibly have been Beech Avenue,
I had a look in Kellys and found this entry.

My sister Doris lived in Bankes Rd, off Grange Rd for 50 years and has recently moved from there to Hall Green. My maths teacher, (can't remember her name but other ex Handsworth Grammar School lads on the forum will remember; perhaps it was Miss Keeler?); she lived at Rose Cottage (but not really a cottage) in Grange Rd

Marc when I was doing lookups in the electoral registers for Joseph Underhill as as mentioned previously he and his daughter lived at 63 and 64 Grange road at some time in the 1920's at least up until 1936. In 1926 I remember looking at the register front sheet and Beech Avenue was included in that district along with Grange Road , I remember since I recorded a Richard Chinn and Emma living at No 10 Beech Avenue who I believe might be related to one of my ancestors. I hope this helps.

Beech Avenue and laburnum Avenue were terraces on the left hand side of Grange Road as you're coming from the Coventry Road, they were at the top end close to the coventry road and they were still there up until 1966 but they were demolished some time after that.
Jerry

Hi Fergie
I've got a Kellys for 1940 and there's no mention of anyone named Underhill
At No. 63 there was Thomas Protty, Fried fish dealer
No entry for No 64 but at 64 1/2 there was a Mrs.Kate Butterworth, draper
Dunno if these names mean anything but I remember the fish shop well from when I was a kid

I don't believe they were there after 1935 though they may have or at least Emma Underhill may have had a fish and chip shop on the Coventry Road. Emma never married and died in 1987 in her nineties.

I have this photo of the Williams family that Joseph Underhill married into, it was taken from a story in the Birmingham Choice Newspaper in 1987. It was sent by a distant relative I had contact with though Genes Reunited. It was believed to be have been taken on Coventry Road.

Re: grange road

I don't have memories but have been researching the Underhill branch in the family, my grandmothers uncle and her cousin apparently had shops or business's in Grange Road 63 and 64. Emma her cousin died in 1987 aged 94, I can go as far as 1936 but did she still trade in 63 or 64 Grange Road in the 60's I don't know. She was a fried fish dealer and Joseph her father a Tripe Dresser do you recall a Fish and chip shop there?
Yes I recall the fish and chip shop we used to go after goin coming out of the Grange cinema which was one of the 1st to close ..other local cinemas were the Kingston ,the Coronet .Adelphi and one at the wheatsjheaf dont recall its name, and one of the best fish shops was in glovers rd by small heath park mmmmmcan smell em now. I believe Bedders at Haymills comes quite close will try when I come home for holiday in may.

Cinema by the wheatsheaf was the Sheldon, did you know Duggie Carter, he lived in Grange Rd.

Yes I recall the fish and chip shop we used to go after going coming out of the Grange cinema which was one of the 1st to close ..other local cinemas were the Kingston ,the Coronet .Adelphi and one at the wheatsjheaf dont recall its name, and one of the best fish shops was in glovers rd by small heath park mmmmmcan smell em now. I believe Bedders at Haymills comes quite close will try when I come home for holiday in may. End of jean nesbitt post. Don`t forget The Tivoli cinema at Yardley and Bedders Fish & Chip shop is under new management since Mr & Mrs.Bedder retired over 1 year ago. Len.

Last edited:
Postie I Used to live in Grange Road I remember a Dougie he was fair haired and mates of Terry Harrison and Brian foster ,I think . they were a year or two older than me Bernie

Talking about Fish and Chip shops, what about the worse ones. Does anyone recall the Chip shop next to the Old Lodge pub on the corner of Bordesley Park road and the 'Cov' - can't remember the name -. I'm sure that only frightened the chips with the fat. Chips 3d fish 9d.

I worked with a chap in the early 60's who said that the best chippie was Dunns at Alum Rock, he reckoned the queue went three times round the block! Whenever he was late for work we'd ask him if he'd been stuck in the queue at Dunns.

Too true, Beamish. Dunns were near the corner of Sladefield Road and their fish and chips were top-notch. Often used to pop in there for a meal in the back room. Although very good, the fish portions were quite small. They must have made a fortune though. :)

Thats the chap Bernie, Brian foster just couldn't stop dancing, there was also Duggie blackham and Kerry Hanigan, we were all Mods together.

Postie do you remember a family from Whitehall Road named Guyett there were six of them altoid I Used to knock about with Terry he had older brothers Ken and Ray ,Ray sadly died in about 1960 doing the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and the ten or so Harrisons , I Went to school with Melvyn .Bernie

Yes I remember Ray Guyatt very well, Ive got apicture of him somewhere. We went to the same school ( Marlborough Rd,) I also used to knock around with Danny Canning, whose Dad, George went on to become Lord Mayor of Birmingham.

Back