• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GARBETT ST LADYWOOD

anniekei

master brummie
has anyone got any pictures of little garbett street ladywood i have seen a couple on the oldladywood site, but they are big garbett street, any pics will be appreciated thank you

best wishes anniekei

I'm having the same problem finding pictures of Garbett Street. Everybody seems to have the same two or three.

i think it is a sign of the times back then, cameras very scarce not like today if you have a mobile you more than likely have a camera on it, oh well weoley just have to keep trying
best regards anneikei

Looking into my late fathers affairs I came across an old document that has an address of 6-33 Garbett Street, Ladywood from 1935. I think that he was born here but find the address of 6-33 strange - was it a hospital ? If anyone could shed any light I'd be most grateful. Looking at old maps, Garbett St disappeared in the 1960s, around the area where Nelson Primary school or Britannic Warehouse now stand.

The address looks like a back house being No6 the back of No33 maybe a back court with a number of houses in it. Dek

I would expect the address to mean no 6 back of no 33 Garbett St. however the electoral roll fro 1935 doesn't list any houses as "back 33". However there is a 6 back 32 (Alfred 7 May florence Brown ) or a (Sidney & Louisa Ellen Nash) at no 6 court 1 (which would correspond to 6 back 34). I think the houses would be one of the buildings in red on the map
mike

back_33_garbett_st_c_1914.jpg

Mike - that's brilliant - Alfred & May Florence Brown were my grandparents - that's stunning and solved my query - I was wondering about the 6-33 Garbett Street part - I double checked and 6-33 is what is typed on an old insurance document, never occured that it refered to back to back .

Thanks - and to Dek - absolutely stunning lads - appreciated !

I live and learn.

Last edited:
has anyone got any pictures of little garbett street ladywood i have seen a couple on the oldladywood site, but they are big garbett street, any pics will be appreciated thank you

best wishes anniekei
Not sure if this is Garbett or Little Garbett. Garbett St Old Robin Hood Ladywood

Attachments

• Garbett St Old Robin Hood Ladywood.jpg
    Garbett St Old Robin Hood Ladywood.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi,

I think this is on the corner of big Garbutt Street and King Edward's Rd. Looking to the right is up towards Monument Rd.

I would expect the address to mean no 6 back of no 33 Garbett St. however the electoral roll fro 1935 doesn't list any houses as "back 33". However there is a 6 back 32 (Alfred 7 May florence Brown ) or a (Sidney & Louisa Ellen Nash) at no 6 court 1 (which would correspond to 6 back 34). I think the houses would be one of the buildings in red on the map
mike

back_33_garbett_st_c_1914.jpg
Many thanks for showing the above street map. It’s jogged my memory I left Garrett St in 1960 think we lived at No.3. Always remember outside toilet in court yard.

Back