• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Golden Cross, Erdington.

G

gham

Any knowledge/memories of this pub-more particularly around the years 1934/'35? My 91-year-old Mother proudly :rolleyes:informs me she was Head Barmaid here she thinks in 1935 when a Mr Mellor was Landlord. Sadly his wife died of cancer, I believe. Mr & Mrs Mellor had a son John.

Don't know the exact location of this pub, Donna, but am trying to find out where in Erdington it was..

YES it was Short Heath Rd.My Mum told me by phone today when I asked her-....

gham. If I was you I would PM another of our friends here called Astonian. What he doesnt know about pubs is not worth knowing. Hope he can help. Barry.

I used the Golden Cross and then it changed its name to Oshea's but has been closed for about ten years

Mau-reece:)

My interest in the Golden Cross is back in history-trying to arouse links back into the 1930s if possible!Thanks for that information, Mossy.

might have guessed you would know that froth...lol...im sure ive got a pic of that one boarded up...will have a look....

lyn:)

Our football team, Erdington Libs, were based at the Golen Cross. The chairman was Billy Arnold, some of the players were the Chappell brothers, Liddington,Sheppard, Wilmott, John Hewitt, Fred Pickering,Dave Arnold,Barry Toomer,etc.
This was in the 60/70s.

:(I'm a Villa supporter-and I have my worries about him-BUT he does hail from Erdington, I believe
Postie-did the Erdington Libs ever win anything-or were you Corinthians in attitude-where the result was meaningless and the 'game' was the thing...?

Gahm sorry about the remarks about you Villa player if hes a brummy thats ok by me i was only jocking by the way i'm a blues supporter:DMau-reece

:rolleyes:I'm one of those Villa supporters that doesn't hate Birmingham City supporters. So where 'The Golden Cross' was there are now flats I'm reliably informed by Mrs T

Back