• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

3230 was indeed the first rear engined bus in the fleet, but was registered (by Leyland Motors, who owned it as a demonstrator) 460 MTE. BCT later bought it, but sadly it has gone the way of many others and is paperclips and drink cans now.
The first Daimler Fleetline was going to be 3229 (3229 VP) but Daimler kept it as a demonstrator and registered it 7000HP. It was eventually sold to Blue Bus Services of Willington, Derbyshire, and was lost with most of their fleet in a garage fire. The number 3229 VP ended up on a tractor in the parks department, I believe. Fleet number 3229 was unused, but may have been temporarily issued to (but not carried on) AEC Bridgemaster demonstrator 2211 MK.

My memory must be playing tricks on me with the Atlantean's registration,
but I well remember seeing it on the 11 route near where I lived at Stechford, and that massive logo. I also remember Crossley Bridgemaster (9 JML) and as a schoolboy enthusiast was treated to sit in the cab by one of the drivers in Lea Hall Garage. I suppose that went the same way as the Atlantean! Happy days.

Dave

I also remember Crossley Bridgemaster (9 JML) and as a schoolboy enthusiast was treated to sit in the cab by one of the drivers in Lea Hall Garage. I suppose that went the same way as the Atlantean!
Sadly yes, Dave. Here's a bit of nostalgia for you though. Both Bridgemasters, 9JML and 2211 MK.

3228  9 JML b.jpg3229  2211 MK.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to say I have driven Atlantean 460 MTE (3230) unlike many drivers at Yardley Wood Garage where it was in 1975. It was unpopular because of the non standard cab layout and it used to really shake rattle and roll at that time. By my request it was booked out to me regularly to keep it out on a full period of duty. This made me a bit unpopular as well with drivers waiting to take over from me on the road. Being transferred with the ex Midland Red work from Moseley Road Depot I was pleased to catch up with this unique bus at the Wood. Most of my outings with 3230 were around the Shiley/Solihull area before these services were integrated with former BCT routes. It isn't me driving in this photo though, as 3230 is seen coming out of garage.

I have posted this here because it is a picture of buses. Ragga started the thread with a saying 'SO MANY BUSES'. I do not know where it is but
it could be Digbeth with a bit of imagination. Then again the Tram is a number 61. Someone else will know.Again it is early 50s.

I drove 3230 also when I was at Yardley Wood in 1974, I loved driving these Leyland Atlanteans myself, allthough as Mike said a lot of the drivers prefered the newer Fleetlines, I had 3230 once on a late night duty on the 90s, Hall Green to Pheasy estate, by my request, and the conductor was not impressed, moaning he couldnt see his waybill properly because of the poor lighting.

Stitch, your last pic would have been taken before October 1950, when the Washwood Heath and Alum Rock trams were replaced. If there were any trams on the Perry Barr or Witton routes (which there aren't) it would have been in the 40s (the last trams on those routes ran on 31.12.1949).
As for the location - it's Corporation Street, junction with Bull Street, looking towards New Street Station.
Peter

Sadly yes, Dave. Here's a bit of nostalgia for you though. Both Bridgemasters, 9JML and 2211 MK.

Many thanks for the pics Lloyd, they've certainly brought back memories.
Drivers I remember from Lea Hall were Stan Palmer and Bill Godden, and it
was Stan who took me into the Garage to see 9 JML shortly after its delivery

Dave

Yes Dave, I knew Stan and Bill too, they were involved in the early days of bus preservation in Birmingham. They were the regular drivers of the demonstration or test buses that visited Lea Hall garage, quite a few were tried in the 60s before someone came up with the idea of putting the engine at the back and the doors at the front.
Then it was not long before R.I.P bus conductors!

Here is an amazing BCT bus pic from February 1975. The motorist, released from his 11 year old car by firemen, suffered no more than cuts, bruises and a broken bone in his neck and went home after treatment at the General Hospital. The bus driver suffered no injuries. Location was College Road, Perry Barr. The bus (3360) on it's way to Kingstanding knocked down a lamp post which acted as a ramp on to the car. Can anyone identify the make of the car? It was certainly a tough old jam jar!

Well thankfully no serious injuries, but I love the inspector standing there with his typical "Blakey stance"! :p

A remember witnessing an old Morris 8 running into the back of a tram some years earlier. It reminded me of a Tom & Jerry cartoon as the car more or less fell to bits over what seemed like several seconds. crash ... tinkle ... clonk! ... tinkle. I guess it was similar to running into a concrete buttress - not much damage to the tram, but the car must surely have been a write-off. :(

Maurice

I love the inspector standing there with his typical "Blakey stance"! :pMaurice

Press photographers seem to love 'The Inspector' being at the scene. "Just stand there and look amazed!" one must have told this Midland Red official at the scene of a D9 running out of road - and grass verge!

The bus, 4972, survived to run again and was one of the few BMMO built post war buses to go on to a second operator for further service - Morris's at Penycoed in this case.

4972  2972 HA  Crashed.jpg

Last edited:
Lloyd,
That really must have been the inspector that Blakey was modelled on. "I've got you this time Butler, you've made my day"

In the original photo you can see his splendid handlebar moustache, and based on inspectors I've known imagine he's saying "What d'yer think you're playing at, son!"

The bus, 4972, survived to run again and was one of the few BMMO built post war buses to go on to a second operator for further service - Morris's at Penycoed in this case.

Here are two D9's whilst with Morris's, No.s 4976 and 5336. They were painted blue with white bands.

Acocks Green Bus Garage. In an attempt to avoid damage to the buses if the garage was bombed some buses were parked in the road away from the building. During the winter months these vehicles were connected to heaters to stop the engines freezing up. Note the wires and radiator muffs

GO TO THE NEXT PAGE$ FOR THE PICTURE

Last edited by a moderator:
A photo of preserved bus 1107 in its working days in Albert St. (Ithink), and as it is today in its preserved state at the transport museum Whythall. John70.

Thanks for that pic Trevor, well worth waiting for. It was the wartime parking out that brought about the khaki painted roofs that became fleet livery right through to WMPTE days.

Thanks John for 1107 too, here is one of it's earliest outings in preservation back in 1965.

Two photos of air raid damage inside Hockley Bus Garage Nov 1940. 19 buses were destroyed and about 90 were damaged.

Does any-body recall the bus tokens and there different colour because of there price , i had the red ones to get me to and from school

Thanks other half a great collection i would love to have them
they must be worth som think now
as you say its abit of history i used all mine up on the number eight bus
travelling to anf from ickneild street school hockley brook up and down from ladywood and mine was all red
thanks for showing me that info;and for the memory best wishes astonian ,;;;

This bomb damage on the corner of Highgate Rd and Queen Street was caused early on the 20th November 1940. About 18-20 buses and almost a dozen trams were also damaged.

By way of a change it is interesting to see a BCT bus turn up in an advert I wonder if James Motorcycles needed permission to use the bus image and also whether many gave up riding on buses in favour of a 98cc 'Comet'.

index.php.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back