• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

F

Frantic

I went to Birchfield bug house from 1958-1962 is there anyone else who attended around that time.

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

That's the one John (what a dump) but I can't imagine where that photo was taken from with that sort of elevation. It seems that the education dep't was determined that SOMEONE would learn someting on that site. The bug-house replaced by a polytechnic replaced by a university :)

I had to go to that school in 1952 to take the entrance exam for Handsworth Tech. school :crazy2:

Bug house? I have (some) fond memories of Birchfield Sec Mod. There from 1959 to 1965. Remember the following:- Ray Price, Paul Rachel, Peter Adams, Keith Beasly, Ken Hall, Bobby Totman, Gus Williams, Howard Johnson and many more. Played in the Brass Band and rugby team. Teachers:- Spud Taylor (war stories) Mr Brassington (headmaster) Mr Hunt, Mr Williams. School productions Pirates of Penzance, The Mikado and HMS Pinafore. Heard of J F Kennedy's death whilst helping serve at a school fund raising event (fete) in the school hall. Could remember lots more perhaps with a little help

Stop fighting Lads, you were lucky in our day our school didn't have a Roof and most of us didn't have any shoes plus most of us had to work down the Mines to get our school Dinner money & Fags :eek:

Sorry Alf didn't mean to fight. Getting a bit long in the tooth for that. Funny though how memories alter with time, bet your school used the desks for firewood in the winter assuming of course you had desks to start with.

There was no brass band when I was there, I used to play in the recorder ensemble though. I have always been grateful to Tommy (Tank) Taylor for giving me an interest in music as I have played non-professionally in bands most of my adult life and still do. I can't recall any of the names that you included except for the teachers. Mr Oldham was the headmaster when I left, and Mr Whittaker was the head when I started. Mr Brassington was deputy head. The other music teacher was Ron (Lennie) Lowe, also Mr Roberts & Griffiths (woodwork), 'Nobby' Hall (science). If you played rugby, do you remember Tony Pratt? I believe he went on to play for Wigan or somewhere up there. (class bully). Have you listed on "Friends reunited" site? quite a few people from Birchfield listed there, including 'Ozzie' Osborne. Not many people realise that Tony Iommi went there as well.

Tonbrad Yes we had Desks but had to eat School Meals off the Floor :D

Brass band would have been started after you left and was formed by Mr Taylor who also gave me my lifelong interest in music.  Not surprised you do not remember the pupils as we came to the school just about the time you left.  Memory prompted by your post I do remember Mr Roberts and Grifiths plying their craft at each end of the single story building in the rear playground.  Also Mr Hall in the science room top floor turn left at the top of the stairs. Do remember Tony Iommi (his friend was Pete Adams) and 'Ozzie' Osborne who ain't changed much from them days.  Registered on Friends reunited but not many of those I went to school with are on that site.

Which, no doubt, you had to scrub before use with a holystone. Hard old life A!. By the way my name is Tony Alf

Hi Tony O0

Yes hard times then, mind you the school dinners were good my Mother was a Dinner Lady there.

By the way my school was Cowper Street off Newtown Row O0

Cowper street school I think a cousin of mine went there name of Barry brotherhood but could have been Gower street not sure. would have been about mid 1950s

I was there till 1947 Tony :)

Theres a Cowper St School Play 1947 Photo on the ready to delete page have a look.

Alf was it a primary or secondary school cos both of us (Barry and me) were born 1948

Alfie, your photo's of Cowper Street is still in the photo section. It's only the oversized one that is in the delete section :smitten:

My memories of the boys at Birxchfield Road were when we gilrs at Cantrebury Road played netball after school, and they appeared as our audience as if by magic.

Thanks for the reminder Di :)

Hey Di.....when did you go to Canterbury Rd? I could have been one of the 'peeping toms' :D

Back