• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Park Street, Nechells

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
nice pic of 68 high park st..date dec 1965

astoness.
curtasy of carl chinn birmingham lives.

I went to St Clements School in High Park Street.I left in 1953 aged 15 and it then became an infant and juniors only school.
Any one else out there from that time?
Bryan.

Hi Bryan

Yes there a few of us on 'Friends reunited' from St Clements.
I have the school register for enrolment from 1943 to 1946. Can't see a bryan with a 'Y' recorded.
I was there from 1944 to 1951 then off to Elliot St school.
Bob Steele

Hello Bob,
My name is Bryan Darbyshire,my names were often spelt wrong,using an 'i' instead of 'y' and an 'e' instead of 'a'.
I started primary in 1942 and left in 1946,when we moved to Sparkbrook and I attended Christ Church Juniors until 1949.I then went back to St Clements Seniors,travelling each way on two buses,fares paid by the Education commitee in the form of plastic tokens (remember them).
Maybe we were in different years!I can't recall you but I can remember several of my classmates.
Bryan.

Hi Bryan
Yes I can see your name in the school register as John Brian of 53 Mount Street.
You must have been in a class before me as you were 12 months older.
I am compiling my family tree and also contacting any school mates that I can remember.
I left Nechells for the RAF and then lived in London for 12 months before coming out to Australia in 1968. Been back twice to see family and the city.
Love it here. A bit hot at the moment. Around 40 deg for a week and more to come.
Bob

My Great Grandparents were living at 13, High Park Street,Nechells in 1873.

Does anybody know if an pictures of this street exist before the properties were demolished?

Kind Regards

Chris

Re: High Park street, Handsworth (Nechells)

Chris this is a strange address Nechells and Handsworth are two different districts several miles apart. Dek

Re: High Park street, (Nechells)

Dek

As you probably know as well as me, the only High Park St that I know of in Birmingham was the one in Nechells it ran from Nechells Place to Rocky lane at the junction of Nechells Park Rd and Bloomsbury St. The area was known locally as The Green.

Phil

Re: High Park street,(Nechells)

The 1872 and 1873 directories just describe High Park st as being in nechells
mike

Hi Dek,

thank you for that-i've been worknig on some research about Handsworth so I must have jus added that without thinkinng-i've now edited the post.

The address was 13 high park street, Nechells

Kind Regards

Chris

Hi Phil,

thank you for your reply. I didnt realise it was known as 'The Green'

Kind regards

Chris

Sorry Chris

I think I misinformed you I was thinking of High Park Corner that ran from Nechells Place to Rocky Lane. High Park St ran from Railway Terrace to Thimble Mill Lane according to Kelly's, but they were all in the same area within a stones throw.

Phil

John

You surprise me not knowing your own back yard. Look at the map. High Park St is just above High Park Corner on the map.

Phil

high park st.JPG

Last edited:
William Kember moved into no 13 as a shopkeeper between 1868 , when it was a beer retailer run by James Blower (probably a beerhouse, but possibly an off licence) and 1872 . it was on the west side of the street about half way down, but i cannot exactly pinpoint the building. He is there in 1873, but number 13 is not listed in 1876. He might still be there but not listed, or have moved
Mike

Sorry, no photos of High Park St itself but here are some photos of some of the back court off it.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells High Park St 1965.jpg
    Nechells High Park St 1965.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Nechells High Park St Court 1965 .jpg
    Nechells High Park St Court 1965 .jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Nechells High Park Street 1966 .jpg
    Nechells High Park Street 1966 .jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
phil.high park st. was that were wimbushes was?and lathams? i cant place it.as stated we called it the green.

Back