• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Childrens' Homes in the 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi rowan when were you there and what house were you in i was in home 9 appledore 1951 -1959 they were the best years of my life , if i had them years back i be happy to go there again paulinea

HELLO, EVERY ONE,SHENLEY FIELDS,COTTAGE HOME,S, is were my grandfather ended up, he was 3, when he ented the home,s in 1915-1928, he never spoke at all of his life in the home,s, i was 15, when he passed away in 1975,bless him.I spoke to my mom about his parent,s,wait for it his father died in 1915, his mother was still married to her first husband & had 3 kid,s all died put my grandfather his sister in care, had more kid,s that died & married 6 or 7 time,s more. my grandfather got married in 1940 & yet he still had to change his care home name to his real name which he never know till he got married & he was a true gentleman. if my grandfather was baptised & got married in a catholic chapel who would have his [baptised-cert] any idea,s anybody, cheero, christy.

WHAT About The Old Childrens Home On The Moseley Rd
Origionaly It Was Known And Used For A Remand Centre In B,HAM fOR yEARS
Then It Chaned To A Commutity Home ,Owing To The Carrying On With The So Called Social Workers And The Tennents ,They Closed It Down, And Its Been Empty For Donkey Years , So Why Is It Still EMTY , ?. Does Any body Have Any Ideas
Best Wishes Astonian ,

hi, every one, who know,s were i can get [INFO- ON SHENLEY-FIELD,S HOME,S]i-e school, register,s leaving cert,ANY INFO,DATE [1915-1930] THAT,S HOW LONG MY GRANDFATHER WAS THERE.i have phoned some department,s & no joy please help,, i have jill plumley,s book telling a picture of the history of the home,s,, thank you,, cheero, christy

pauline
i will get in touch with mercian and ask if they they have any more books.if not .i will scan it and withs keiths permission.put it somewhere on here.
or if they have any books.i will post it to you.postage free.

hi winston, how are you i hope you are well. I am desperatly trying to get a copy of the book from cottage homes to mercian. My mom was brought up in erdington cottage homes from 1948 to 1962 her name was louise laplanche and she was in home 17 she will be celebrating her birthday very soon and i am trying to track down this booklet for her as a suprise gift i have contacted mercian housing but no body there seems to be aware of this booklet i was wondering if you had a contact name there that would help me trace a copy. or did you scan in your copy and post it somewhere and then i would be able to print a copy off my self . I would be extremly grateful for any help or information you could give me as i know this book would mean the world to her many thanks louise,s son :)

Hi Annetoinett:

You might try to contact Peter Higginbotham re the Erdington Cottage Homes
book. You can contact him via this site:
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/

There are lots of photos and an aerial map of the Cottage Homes on this site.

hi winston, how are you i hope you are well. I am desperatly trying to get a copy of the book from cottage homes to mercian. My mom was brought up in erdington cottage homes from 1948 to 1962 her name was louise laplanche and she was in home 17 she will be celebrating her birthday very soon and i am trying to track down this booklet for her as a suprise gift i have contacted mercian housing but no body there seems to be aware of this booklet i was wondering if you had a contact name there that would help me trace a copy. or did you scan in your copy and post it somewhere and then i would be able to print a copy off my self . I would be extremly grateful for any help or information you could give me as i know this book would mean the world to her many thanks louise,s son :)

hello antoinett
if you can im your address to me.i will send you a book.
winston

hi winston i can not thank you enough for your help i know my mom will be delighted with this book. thank you so much for your help time and kindness i have sent you my address and email via instant msg once again thank you

Hi its me from Wigan again.

I was in Aston (Erdington) Homes for about a year in 1953/4

i was in the cottage homes in 1951 till 1964 i was in appledore home 9 right opposite the clock and the main office and are looking for anyone who was there then

Hi Pauline,
Just registered on this site.
Yes. I was in the Cottage homes from 1958 to 1964....I lived next door to you! in home 11. I remember a few from home 9 like Yvonne Harkett and her sister Pamela,Elaine Hands,Tom Barrow. I wonder where They are now.
I was also in home 12 where my sister was, and also in Southview from 1963 to 64. I remember some new houseparents arriving at home 9, they were the Whittakers they had a daughter called Marie. I could write a book about ECH, So many memories,all good ones too. I left at 14. I would have happily stayed on there as things didnt turn out so well afterwards.
I wonder if you remember me.
Regards.

No mention here of Sycamore House, 13 Park Road, Moseley - a C of E childrens' home ?

I was there with my two brothers (Donald was with me in the MacDonalds - I think - but don't know the house number) and my other brother Roger was in the house right opposite the main office - I think this had the clock tower.

I left in April 1954, and i think we had been there about a year - I was certainly ther Christmas 1956

Derick Pearce

There used to be a childrens home on the corner of my road Hurst Lane shard end in the late 50's early 60's I became friends with a boy in there Stephen Hampton wonder what happened to him,think he came from Small Heath.

Siily me!

In my last thread i said i was at Erdington until easter 1954, then said inc. Christmas 1955, should have been christmas 1953.

Derick

thanks Jenny. Anyone else out there knew of Sycamore House chldrens home?

i was in the cottage homes in 1951 till 1964 i was in appledore home 9 right opposite the clock and the main office and are looking for anyone who was there then
hi pauline
iam trying to trace my own past . i was in erdington homes in the early 60s in rydale house father was a mr theobold cant remember daughters name if you remember him or me
(alan pritchard) please let me know
thanks alan
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back