• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Road Balsall Heath

Hi RobertS

Here's some photo's as promised.

Phil

BalsallHeathCliftonRd.jpg

BalsallHeathCliftonRdSchool2.jpg

BalsallHeathCliftonRdInfantsSchool.jpg

BalsallHeathCliftonRd1967betweenRailwayPHHertfordSt.jpg
BalsallHeathRailwayCliftonRd.jpg

Hi
The picture of the school & the Clifton Pub bring back a few memories, the school must have been taken before the war as the trees were not there in my time at the school ie 1950-55. It was bombsite if my memory is correct.
The Clifton Pub was the home of Ken Hawker who along with John Shakespeare formed the 60s band The Ivy League, Kens sister Joy was in my class at Clifton Road & Ken was a couple of years ahead of me at Waverley Grammar.
Nice pictures, any more to come
Cheers
Dave Rock

Another couple, I know St Barnabus is not strictly Clifton Rd, I suppose it was classed as Ladypool Rd, The other one is another pub The Gladstone , Clifton Rd certainly had no shortage of them. The only one I havent got the the one the other side of the railway bridge. was it the Prince of Wales.

Phil

SparkbrookStBarnabus-2.jpg

BalsallHeathGladstoneArmsBalsallHeathCliftonRd.jpg

The Secretary at Clifton Road School for many years during the 60's & 70's was my Dad's sister my Aunty Doris Tombs who lived in Durham Road.
She was also the labour MP for Sparkhill/Brook Roy Hatersley's political Sec.
She was certainly a very talented lady my aunty Doris.

Thanks PMC 1947 for the photos and the additional information Bob Summers.

Anyone else have anything?

Posted this list before but a reminder

Clifton Road 1920's as rmembered by my Mother

130 Mr and Mrs Johnstone

Between 130 and 132 May Place with back houses

132 Monaghan then Reynolds
134 Bert Brigdon

134 Mr and Mrs Quinton
136 Mr and Mrs Hadley
138 Mr and Mrs Ward Bread Shop and Bakery
Entry to Rear
140 Mr and Mrs Stanton Hardware Shop
142 Mr and Mrs Harrison Paper and Sweet shop
144 Green Grocers
House with Pickling works attached

Private House Summerton and Mann Funeral Directors, Horses,
Stables and Hearse at rear
Billington Ice Merchant and Removals

Sycamore Avenue. Each garden has a sycamore tree. This is the only place left from the original road.

Rainbow family. Removal firm with vans kept in side garden

Kemp family. Father Carpenter all 5 sons became builders

Wills

161 Frazier. Shoe repairer and second husband of Annie
Johnstone (nee Ravenhill)

Huckerby Family

The dairy had a goat that was often let out to terrorise the neighbours.

Cattle sheep and pigs were often driven down the road to butchers where they were slaughtered.

I remember in the early 60's the delightfully, gorges, beautiful Moreen Fullerton who lived at the bottom end near Stoney Lane corner, Les Davis who lived close to there He was the local plumber and caretaker of Carnegie Boys Club in Moseley Village. They all lived close to Spires Building Supplies on the said corner.
Don Spier's was a very keen golfer and I did hear bad news a couple of months ago of his death, great chap he was.RIP

Duplicacate posting, tried to erase but left this instead. How do you erase a duplciate?

Robert you can't, only the team can do that.

Opposite Clifton Road School was the Kirby Grip Co, I used to pick up the spillages outside for my mum's hair.

Graham.

Thanks Cadeau. Now I know why I can't do it! I got distracted by 'falling creatures clasping hearts'. Are they on the forum or have I picked up a bug?

Thanks bobsummers. Bit confused about Clifton Road Post, bit of a streach from Clifton Road, but I remember Don Spiers well. My dad was a plumber and had an account there and I was often left in the que while he went off to carry on the job. Both my dad and Don played golf together and if I remember correctly I had to caddy for Don on several occasions. We even had a Morris Oxford Estate he sold, and I learned to drive in that. He was a very nice man, also sad to hear of his death.

RobertS

His son Mark wasn't so nice, he did a runner owing us quite a bit of money, we chased him through the courts and everything else. He told the courts that his wife had thrown him out and he was penniless. The courts of course accepted that.

We knew that he was still living at the family home in Earlswood but the courts still wouldn't send the bailiffs in. We heard about a year later that he had died. He could have only been about thirty at the time. Perhaps its just me but I still wonder about that.

Phil

my self and Graham we had an aunt and uncle that lived in Clifton rd they lived oppersite the Clifton pub their name was Penny.

Ah yes Fred I'd forgotten all about aunt & uncle Penny. I always though what a nice name they had. It's funny though I haven't found them in our family tree yet, do you know from which side of the family they came.

Fred, did you read my message about our family Day that lived in Wales? You can find it here in the thread 'Famous ancestors' https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17533&highlight=famous+ancestors&page=5 Go to the bottom of this page.

Graham.

I noticed last week when passing, that they have finally demolished the Imperial Cinema on the corner of Clifton Rd and Moseley Rd. I spent many a happy hour in there. Saturday Morning the Alhambra Saturday Afternoon the Imperial. A days entertainment for a shilling.

Phil

BalsallHeathImperial-1.jpg

Thanks Cadeau. Now I know why I can't do it! I got distracted by 'falling creatures clasping hearts'. Are they on the forum or have I picked up a bug?

Thanks bobsummers. Bit confused about Clifton Road Post, bit of a streach from Clifton Road, but I remember Don Spiers well. My dad was a plumber and had an account there and I was often left in the que while he went off to carry on the job. Both my dad and Don played golf together and if I remember correctly I had to caddy for Don on several occasions. We even had a Morris Oxford Estate he sold, and I learned to drive in that. He was a very nice man, also sad to hear of his death.

I once had a drink with Mr Spiers the elder in the Rose and Crown on Alcester Road many years ago and I am sure that he told me that he used to play for the Villa, can anyone shed any light on this.

I noticed last week when passing, that they have finally demolished the Imperial Cinema on the corner of Clifton Rd and Moseley Rd. I spent many a happy hour in there. Saturday Morning the Alhambra Saturday Afternoon the Imperial. A days entertainment for a shilling.

Phil

Yes that is sad news, I too spent many happy hours in there although the Carlton was my local.

I once had a drink with Mr Spiers the elder in the Rose and Crown on Alcester Road many years ago and I am sure that he told me that he used to play for the Villa, can anyone shed any light on this.

I can't say I ever remember that being said about Don Spiers, who was a nice bloke (despite my dislike of his son). Does anybody else remember the dopey Airedale that used to lay all over the shop. He was like a dead donkey laid out on the floor I must have fell over him at least twice.

I remember someone telling me that Don held a pilots license and he owned his own light aircraft.

I also remember Trumper Brothers a plastering firm from Clifton Rd. They had a contract with Birmingham Education and did all the plaster patching works in the schools. I worked for them for a very short time in the 60's about three weeks. I couldn't get used to being paid on a Wednesday. I was skint by the weekend when all my mates were going out.

Phil

I remember the Spiers dog. It was an Airdale but can't vouch that it was the same generation. (Early 1960's)

I remember it because my Dad had a soft spot for Airdales. When he was a lad he lived a 6 Alcester Road Moseley that apart from Trafalgar Road? was next to the tram/bus depot. He had to look after the family Airdales. They would regularly escape into the bus garage and play in the inspection pits until they were black with oil. He spent hours trying to hold them down to be washed.

Still looking for earlier info on Clifton Road folks

Thanks

I can't say I ever remember that being said about Don Spiers, who was a nice bloke (despite my dislike of his son). Does anybody else remember the dopey Airedale that used to lay all over the shop. He was like a dead donkey laid out on the floor I must have fell over him at least twice.

I remember someone telling me that Don held a pilots license and he owned his own light aircraft.

I also remember Trumper Brothers a plastering firm from Clifton Rd. They had a contract with Birmingham Education and did all the plaster patching works in the schools. I worked for them for a very short time in the 60's about three weeks. I couldn't get used to being paid on a Wednesday. I was skint by the weekend when all my mates were going out.

Phil

Phil,
I think it would have been Don Spiers father who I had a drink with.

Last edited:
Back