• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

D

d38uh32

Does anyone have any memories of Bordesley Green. I used to live in Whitehall Road and I have some very happy childhood memories during the late 50's early sixties. Does anybody remember Curlies the sweet shop, Bert Guys and Craigs bicycle shop.

Hiya
I was born and bred in Bordesley Green, Third Ave, and went to Marlborough Rd senior school.

The Birmingham postcards thread has some really interesting pictures of Bordesley Green & also Coventry Road which you might well enjoy.

Heres another one born in Bordesley. Fordrough Lane to be precise, but I dont remember too much about it, as I was far too young at the time. Barry.

I remember Craigs bike shop, saved my pocket money for what seemed like ages to buy a pair of 'celluloid' mud-guards from there.
Sad ending, first time out on the bike with the new mudguards. my mate ran into the back of me, and snapped them

We moved to Colonial Road Bordesley Green in 1939 and stayed there until 1944 before moving further down to Little Bromwich, by the 'Ritz' cinema.

There was a cycle shop next door to Jim Plumley's timber yard which was run by Flossie Jones when we were there. On the corner of Blake lane was Payne's boot repairs. On the other corner was Giles sweet shop then Magnet Library, Dallaways Garage/Wedding Cars, Kavanagh's coal yard another garage and a grocery shop on the corner of Blakeland St.

Bert Guys menswear shop was on the corner of Colonial Road (he had another shop up by the lights on BG which later moved across the road). Next to Guys was Proffitt & Westwoods and then House's the breadshop where everyone changed their farthings! On that side there was also Morley's gents' barber, a chemist, butcher, another cycle shop named Gee's, a laundry and a newsagents on the corner of Churchill Road. The 'Era' cinema was on the opposite corner.

My brother had just left school (Ada Road) when we moved to BG but the younger siblings (there were 13 of us by 1942) either went to the Rosary, BG Girls School or Alston Road.

Last edited:
Hi d38uh32

I used to work in Bordesley Green - Barclays Bank - not sure if you remember it. It was on the corner by the traffic lights - then we had wonderful new premises built - big glass fronted building just down the road. No longer a bank.

What number did you live at in Whitehall Road - I knew someone who lived in that road.

Fay

I know the cycle shop you meant, d38uh32. H. Craig at the top of the BG opposite Nurse's. My son used to buy stuff from there in the early 60's. I think the main attraction were his girlie pics and calendars hanging on the walls! :)

An old mate of mine had a barber shop close-by, Bob Marsden's. Bob's 87 now and was still very sprightly last time I saw him a couple of years ago. Like most barbers in those days, he only knew one style - short back and sides! But he was cheap.:) Another mate of mine, Dougie Bates, owned the newsagents shop near Norwood Road.

Nephrititi... I opened my first bank account at that Municipal bank on the corner of Bordesley Green Road.

Hi,

I used to live at 123 Whitehall Road then 69 before moving down to Bordesley Green East by East Birmingham Hospital. I too opened my first bank account at the Municipal in Bordesley Green.
I remember Marsden's the barber and I knew his daughter. Also Bates the newsagents. Did anyone go on any of the trips with Direct Coaches in Prince Albert Street, having a sing song on the way home. Also does anyone remember doctor Jones surgery between Victoria Street and Prince Albert Street. My dad worked for the Morris Commercial in Adderley Park, what excellent Xmas parties they had for the kids.

Cheers, Brummie Nick. Great one! The house next door but one to the library was where my aunt Floss lived.

The first house i brought was in 5th avenue in the 70s i loved it although it was a simple terraced house but it is the one i enjoyed living best of all the house the enviroment and close to the city
colin

The first house i brought was in 5th avenue in the 70s i loved it although it was a simple terraced house but it is the one i enjoyed living best of all the house the enviroment and close to the city
colin
the first house i bought was in 5th avenue in the 80s, loved it, just walk round the corner and into the custard house

I used to use the the custerd house and married my first wife at st benedicts got totally out of it in there before the weding in 1981
colin

Hi Colin,
Me and my mate Jimmy Cooke used to play snooker in the Custard House, (funny name for a pub) and we used to go out with the gaffers daughters- one sunday morning he was shaving and just dropped dead-that was the end of that.
That was between 1958-1961, we then migrated to the Avenue in Green Lane, which at the time was kept by
Ken and Edna Perry, I eventually went to work behind the bar.
Happy Days.
Regards John Knight.

Thanks for the pics, Brummie Nick. The one shows Dallaways Garage which was there pre-war and still there.

I almost bought a house in Fifth Avenue around 1962. The price was £1850. But I pulled out of the deal in favour of a property in BGE by the Broadway pub.

Recalling Bob Marsden's hairdressers earlier, I should have added that Bob was an avid Birmingham historian, Small Heath in particular and he wrote a few books on the subject. Originally from Sheffield, he arrived here after the war and settled in Small Heath with his wife, Mary.

Someone has mentioned Dr Jones up by the Vic pub and there was also Dr Lloyd in Blake Lane. Our family doctor throughout the war was Dr Bose in Cherrywood Road. Were there more doctors locally?

Last edited:
Also in Blake Lane were Drs Martin and Benbow.
The Custard house had a Bowling Green and a covered seating area at the back.

That's right, Postie. Drs Martin & Benbow joined Dr Lloyd's practise in Blake Lane. Dr Martin later moved to his own surgery in BGE by Kenwood Road then his son Niall succeded him after they moved to the Yardley Green Centre. Dr Martin died many years ago but Niall is still there with several others, I believe.

Your mention of the name Benbow also reminded me that Benbow was another coalman we had. :)

Back