• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bordesley green

D

d38uh32

Does anyone have any memories of Bordesley Green. I used to live in Whitehall Road and I have some very happy childhood memories during the late 50's early sixties. Does anybody remember Curlies the sweet shop, Bert Guys and Craigs bicycle shop.

Hiya
I was born and bred in Bordesley Green, Third Ave, and went to Marlborough Rd senior school.

The Birmingham postcards thread has some really interesting pictures of Bordesley Green & also Coventry Road which you might well enjoy.

Heres another one born in Bordesley. Fordrough Lane to be precise, but I dont remember too much about it, as I was far too young at the time. Barry.

I remember Craigs bike shop, saved my pocket money for what seemed like ages to buy a pair of 'celluloid' mud-guards from there.
Sad ending, first time out on the bike with the new mudguards. my mate ran into the back of me, and snapped them

We moved to Colonial Road Bordesley Green in 1939 and stayed there until 1944 before moving further down to Little Bromwich, by the 'Ritz' cinema.

There was a cycle shop next door to Jim Plumley's timber yard which was run by Flossie Jones when we were there. On the corner of Blake lane was Payne's boot repairs. On the other corner was Giles sweet shop then Magnet Library, Dallaways Garage/Wedding Cars, Kavanagh's coal yard another garage and a grocery shop on the corner of Blakeland St.

Bert Guys menswear shop was on the corner of Colonial Road (he had another shop up by the lights on BG which later moved across the road). Next to Guys was Proffitt & Westwoods and then House's the breadshop where everyone changed their farthings! On that side there was also Morley's gents' barber, a chemist, butcher, another cycle shop named Gee's, a laundry and a newsagents on the corner of Churchill Road. The 'Era' cinema was on the opposite corner.

My brother had just left school (Ada Road) when we moved to BG but the younger siblings (there were 13 of us by 1942) either went to the Rosary, BG Girls School or Alston Road.

Last edited:
Hi d38uh32

I used to work in Bordesley Green - Barclays Bank - not sure if you remember it. It was on the corner by the traffic lights - then we had wonderful new premises built - big glass fronted building just down the road. No longer a bank.

What number did you live at in Whitehall Road - I knew someone who lived in that road.

Fay

I know the cycle shop you meant, d38uh32. H. Craig at the top of the BG opposite Nurse's. My son used to buy stuff from there in the early 60's. I think the main attraction were his girlie pics and calendars hanging on the walls! :)

An old mate of mine had a barber shop close-by, Bob Marsden's. Bob's 87 now and was still very sprightly last time I saw him a couple of years ago. Like most barbers in those days, he only knew one style - short back and sides! But he was cheap.:) Another mate of mine, Dougie Bates, owned the newsagents shop near Norwood Road.

Nephrititi... I opened my first bank account at that Municipal bank on the corner of Bordesley Green Road.

Hi,

I used to live at 123 Whitehall Road then 69 before moving down to Bordesley Green East by East Birmingham Hospital. I too opened my first bank account at the Municipal in Bordesley Green.
I remember Marsden's the barber and I knew his daughter. Also Bates the newsagents. Did anyone go on any of the trips with Direct Coaches in Prince Albert Street, having a sing song on the way home. Also does anyone remember doctor Jones surgery between Victoria Street and Prince Albert Street. My dad worked for the Morris Commercial in Adderley Park, what excellent Xmas parties they had for the kids.

Cheers, Brummie Nick. Great one! The house next door but one to the library was where my aunt Floss lived.

The first house i brought was in 5th avenue in the 70s i loved it although it was a simple terraced house but it is the one i enjoyed living best of all the house the enviroment and close to the city
colin

The first house i brought was in 5th avenue in the 70s i loved it although it was a simple terraced house but it is the one i enjoyed living best of all the house the enviroment and close to the city
colin
the first house i bought was in 5th avenue in the 80s, loved it, just walk round the corner and into the custard house

I used to use the the custerd house and married my first wife at st benedicts got totally out of it in there before the weding in 1981
colin

Hi Colin,
Me and my mate Jimmy Cooke used to play snooker in the Custard House, (funny name for a pub) and we used to go out with the gaffers daughters- one sunday morning he was shaving and just dropped dead-that was the end of that.
That was between 1958-1961, we then migrated to the Avenue in Green Lane, which at the time was kept by
Ken and Edna Perry, I eventually went to work behind the bar.
Happy Days.
Regards John Knight.

Thanks for the pics, Brummie Nick. The one shows Dallaways Garage which was there pre-war and still there.

I almost bought a house in Fifth Avenue around 1962. The price was £1850. But I pulled out of the deal in favour of a property in BGE by the Broadway pub.

Recalling Bob Marsden's hairdressers earlier, I should have added that Bob was an avid Birmingham historian, Small Heath in particular and he wrote a few books on the subject. Originally from Sheffield, he arrived here after the war and settled in Small Heath with his wife, Mary.

Someone has mentioned Dr Jones up by the Vic pub and there was also Dr Lloyd in Blake Lane. Our family doctor throughout the war was Dr Bose in Cherrywood Road. Were there more doctors locally?

Last edited:
Also in Blake Lane were Drs Martin and Benbow.
The Custard house had a Bowling Green and a covered seating area at the back.

That's right, Postie. Drs Martin & Benbow joined Dr Lloyd's practise in Blake Lane. Dr Martin later moved to his own surgery in BGE by Kenwood Road then his son Niall succeded him after they moved to the Yardley Green Centre. Dr Martin died many years ago but Niall is still there with several others, I believe.

Your mention of the name Benbow also reminded me that Benbow was another coalman we had. :)

can you remember those sigles nights upstairs . All sorts of people went up there

I think I know the nights Colin means, you couldn't tell the Hims from the Hers, SO I'VE BEEN TOLD.

HI

I lived in Bordesley Green Road through the war years until 1961 when I got married. I went to Alston Road Jnr/Infant school and later Bordesley Green Secondary Modern school for Girls. I had friends at 61 Colonial Road. Margaret Bobbie and Reggie Ricketts. Mr. Ricketts had an allottment and we often went to shows with him, he won a few times too. Boys I remember from schoold were Joh Yates, Kenny Slater, John Whale. Girls Eunice Thompson, Hazel Jones, Maureen Mumford, Margaret Jackson, Margaret Lucas, Wendy Legge, many others.

I saved a half penny if I got off the bus at the Broadway, and could buy an apply with if from Haynes green grocers, or some sweets. From the chemist we could get liquorice root of some horrible stiff like candle which we chewed, some form of chewing gum I think. I remember boys putting their pennin the trramlines to see it get bent. Ahhh, Happy days

Hi Mariep

I remember John Whale, he was a mate of my young brother and he lived near the bottom of Kenwood Road. They both attended Alston Road school in the 40's. I remember the Ricketts family in Colonial Road too.

Hello. Wife of Al. I nd my two brothers were born in Cherrywood Road Boardesley Green. I left when I was eight. I can remember Mrs, Wormals 'alsorts' shop on the corner. We moved when we had a trerrible night of bombing and we had an'oil bomb' open up on my mothers settee. The road was evacuated until all the oil was cleared. I went to The Roasary School and was taught by the Nun's. Also remember is the pup [which my dad visited' The Country Girl- vaguely I remember the Bells from the Church playing, " The Bells are Ringing for me and my Giel" Sundays mornings.

Can any one else remember ? M.

My ex inlaws both now deceased owned Direct coaches and also the little sweet shop oppositte the toilets their name was Bourne son called Eddie and 2 daughters Carol who sadly died and Jannine who now lives in Sheldon...used to love the day trips dirct done and the mystery tours.
Jean Haines

Hello Jean

Was that the Coach company near the Post office in Bordesley Green? I remember, when I started working I used to buy Mom and me tickets for trips on a Sunday afternoon from there. Nearly alway Wales, and the Mystery tours, ususally turned out to be Betws - y - Coed. Quick, cuppa a look round and back again.

I remember the Doctors just past Crawfords. Crawfords too had rows of biscuits in glass covered tins. The smell of Bacon and coffee and cheese when you walked in was wonderful. And if they were busy they had chairs you could sit on to wait your turn, and have a chat. Do you remember the money bombs that whizzed round to the cashier, all shiny brass?.

Blunts the chemist opposite with the big coloured medicine jars in the window, and the darkenss inside and the herby smells of patent medicines. I was usually given a note to take there by my elder sister, and would return back with a mysterious package!!!
I had no younger sister to do the same for me!!

Oh I could go on for ages. I have written a book all about Bordesley Green, but no one wants to publish it becasue it is nearly all writing and not enough photos.

But lets face it in those days not that many of us had cameras, and those of us who did couldnt afford to have films developed, so they were not used much.

Anyone know John Yates?, I think he lived in Blake Lane or one of the Avenues, he was in my class at Alston road in the 40's. His friend was Kenneth Slater. Two really nice lads I remember.

"Those were the days my friend,we thought they'd never end"

Marie

I lived at the bottom of Charles Road opposite the Coach and Horses , I remember Bob Marsdens , Wadhams the butchers Freddie Turners veg shop , Mrs Henn's grocery shop on the corner of Charles Road ,Craigs the cycle shop, and a Sunday School down Byfield ? Passage ,off Norwood Road also remember fetching faggots and peas in a jug from a fish shop in Cherrywood Road , there were also two doctors that had a surgery next to Grange Road park man and wife I thought were named Lloyd ,I broke one of their windows playing cricket, she was not amused . Bernie

I know exactly wot you mean yes thats the coach company pub on the corner called prince Albert, now reverted to the victoria, I think I may be a little younger than u was born in 45 I have a wonderful life but home is home no matter where you are and the older you get the more you think back I loved small heath but when I revisit it makes me so sad to see what has become of it,

Back