• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

Michael how interesting. I will ask Edna when I see her next. She has a couple of photo's of the Cowdrill sons I think. They used to attend functions at the Masons. I will ask her the names names. She told me one of the sons was in a battallion in the second world war that was lost for a long time in the jungle. One of her lasting memories is seeing him return walking down Farm Street and running to hug her.

Thank you for those John,
Strange how those names jump off the pages and into your mind making you recall the folk that your parents grew up with and talked about...Cat

Wendy more info
Kelly's 1899 David Jennings Provision Dealer 237 Farm street
Kelly's 1900 Martin Hum Provision Dealer 237 Farm street

Kelly's 1868 David Jennings Provision Dealer 237 Farm street
Kelly's 1862 David Jennings Baker 236 Farm street
Kelly's 1858 Charles Jennings Baker & Flour dealer 25 Meriden street
any relation ??

John thank you so much for taking the time to find these for me. I know David retired in 1900, probably because of ill health and he moved to no 229 Farm Street. In 1901 he is living there with his second wife Rhoda (his first wife Sarah died) and his granddaughter Winifred Westwood listed as adopted child. He died aged 70 in Oct 1901.
I looked up Martin Hum he was not related and a German subject well they make fantastic bread and cakes!
I have also had a look for Charles Jennings you posted but as yet I can't find a connection.
David had a son also named David, I can't find what happened to him. I wonder if he was in the Bakery or provisions trade?

hi cat. as promised here are the pics of farm st. lyn

Lynn it was picture No 1 that I thought was opposite Burbury St school near to Friends Hall ,& the Fountain pub, there was a youg lady always sitting in a wheelchair.by the shop . Lynn, & all of you thank you for keeping the memories going , i sit at my PC here in California & relive a lot of my young life. On the picture where C V Bulls shop the house next to the greengrocers used to be my parents fish & Chip shop I can see the attic where I was born.

Jean

hi all. heres the white swan pub on the corner of farm st and villa st.

wales.

you should know this mabz. villa st straight ahead. farm street to the right and farm st school diagonal to the pub.

mabz. as you know ive got a pic of 3 of the corners of farm and villa streets the only one i need to make up the set is of the doctors surgery on the 4th corner. maybe it will turn up one day.

lyn

mabz. as you know ive got a pic of 3 of the corners of farm and villa streets the only one i need to make up the set is of the doctors surgery on the 4th corner. maybe it will turn up one day.

lyn

It was for some years the surgery of Dr Target Snr and the his son who later became the doctor at Aston Villa. Mabz

Lyn, well, As promised i fished out the photograph sent it to my computer via my scanner, cropped it, made it look as though i was an expert and then i tried at least six times to get it on the forum, as you can see, it did not work. Strange, during this frustrating exercise i did not use one expletive, most unusual for me, Maybe that is why i got it wrong. I will try again tomorrow...Cat

i know keith. i can see it now. it was like a maroon coloured glass window with surgery on it. god dont the years roll back.

Here's the photo's I have of Farm St, you will have to tell if they are the right place or not. I know they are not Farm Rd Sparkbrook.

Phil

HockleyFarmStBridgeStWest1968.jpg

HockleyFarmStNusery1960.jpg

HockleyFarmStSchool.jpg

HockleyTheFountainFarmSt.jpg

LozellsFarmStTheWhiteSwan.jpg

yes phil they are all good and true. the only one i have is the one of farm st school. very exicted about the others especially the white swan pub. it shows a longer shot of farm st and its factories wheras the one i posted cuts off at the end of the pub. made my day this has thank you so much. lyn

Last edited:
Here's the photo's I have of Farm St, you will have to tell if they are the right place or not. I know they are not Farm Rd Sparkbrook.

Phil

Great photographs Phil.

Photo 1: The building in the distance behind the cafe is Farm Street School

Photo 4: The Fountain pub - we used to go down the alley between the pub and Friend Hall, climb over the wall and pinch the emty pop bottles stored in the back yard to take back to the outdoor. (you can see the top of the houses in Defford Road in the distance.

Thanks for the memories Phil.

Mabz

Last edited:
wicked arnt they mabz. glad i have the fountain pub as i lost the one i had. actually i have a little story about the fountain. when i showed it to dad ages ago he was telling me that many years ago when he was a window cleaner in the area he made an early start on the farm st windows. anyway when he reached the fountain at about 9 in the morning the gaffer was standing outside sweeping up the glass from the window on the right. dad asked what had happened and the gaffer told dad they had been broken into. being the quick witted person that he his dad said. well why is all the glass on the pavement hadnt you better sweep it inside quick. lol. ps phil you are creeping closer to villa street.

Just found this thread Wendy. I remember the Cowdrill's very well. My dad was a friend or Mr Cowdrill. (I don't know his first name - that's what I called him as a little boy). They had a factory in the old chapel at the bottom of Guildford Street where you could take your bike frame and get it chromium plated. There was the shop in question in Farm Street but also another one just around the corner from Farm Street in Wheeler Street.]

I spoke to Edna today and she told me the family did have several shops. She gave me all the names but I didn't have time to write them down. The older generation have mostly passed away now. Edna is still in touch with the family.

Here's another photo for you. The corner of Farm St and Gee Street.

Phil

HockleyFarmSt-GeeSt1966.jpg

Phil - great photograph. It would have been in the late 60's because the multi-storey flats are being built in the back ground (plus the Ford Cortina is a 'D' reg 1966). I remember the flats being built -

Mabz

hey mabz. you worked that date out good lol. phil again you come up trumps. thanks so much thats another one for me album. just got back from the central lib they have not got one pic of farm st.

lyn

thanks sian. nice pics. i so remember well when i was about 12 and lived in villa street having to go to that dentist to have a couple of teeth out. it was only the gas we had then and i can still smell it. smelt like old wellington boots. ha ha

lyn.

Hi Lyn

You're welcome ~ I wish now I have taken a few more photo's, but I don't think there were many 'old' places I could have taken photo's of. I'm glad you enjoyed them anyway Lyn.

Best wishes
Sian

Back