• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyne Cot Memorial

GER22VAN

master brummie
If there is someone who visits Tyne Cot Memorial could l ask if it would be possible for them to visit Panels 90 to 92 of the Wall Of Rememberance and trace the name of Goldsbury J. on the wall ?
By trace l mean onto paper using the side of crayon and then keeping the paper rolled up and also to leave a poppy at the side of his name. He was my Uncle even though l never knew him.
l await in hope of a reply to my request, Thank you for your time in reading this.
PS My wife is Registered Disabled and does not travel too well.

GER22VAN, you might have never met him, but you will never forget your uncle Joseph and his ultimate sacrifice will you. Good for you, so important to keep their memory alive. I do hope someone can help you.

GRACE Thank you so much for such kind remarks.  My Gran always told me that his name was in gold lettering on the Roll Of Honour in the Hall Of Memory so l eventually went along back in 1987 to check this ( delayed before as l understood that only one page was turned each day so it would have been difficult to assess when the page would appear )
Well when l was eventually able to see the book l was devastated to see his name did not appear and l feel my Gran would also have been devastated had she still been alive.
l am so pleased to say this has now been rectified.

Ger22van
You have tugged at my heart strings
Send me you address and I will send you his memorial Scroll to frame.
No Charge

CROMWELL. l just cannot express my thanks and sentiments today , if l dont live a day longer l am happy for today. Words just escape my feelings - thank you so much.

So many nice people gathered together on one site, I feel proud to be a member. :smitten:

Indeed Postie, wasn't it a great gesture? GER22VAN, did you get my pm?

CROMWELL l hope l am not getting too much of a pain, could you maybe answer a question for me ? l had posted elsewhere about two scrolls that confused me.
Would l be correct to say that there is the one you posted for me and the other which l have framed was in a box posted with War Medals and the Bronze Memoral Plate ?

Ger22van
There are many different memorial scrolls from the Great War a lot of the were personalized by towns and villages but I guess what you mean is the one they sent with the Bronze death plaque (called the Death Penny in Brum) the official one? Well the answer is yes and if you have one it should be looked after.
At the end of the day as long as you have got something that reminds you of that person such as a pipe, photo or just memories THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS, everything we have or own is of no use to us when we die and the only thing that no one can take away from anyone is the memories left behind
Which should be treasured you are a nice fellow and because of you we all know about your uncle Joseph Goldsbury.
If you have the memorial scroll with the bronze death plaque you comprare is it the same ?
I work closely with the armed forces so if their is anything you need to know just ask
and if I can help you I will

Ger22van
What I am trying to say to you is this all the folk that lost their lives in the Middle East in the Great War were buried in cemeteries such as the North Gate Iraq since the Gulf War those cemeteries have been smashed to pieces by the Iraqis.
I saw smashed up gravestones bought in by our soldiers to the museum of the Staffs Regiment the folk who died and are buried out their don’t know but if you remember a loved one that is “All that matters”. Monuments are there to make us or should I say
To “REMEMBER”

CROMWELL l am sorry to be so dense as l could not get the meaning of what you had written, l asked my wife to see if she could tell me and she said that you were asking if the scroll you sent and the one l already had are the same, if you did mean that then the answer is no.  It has the crest with the words Buckingham Palace in red then underneath are the words " I join with my grateful people in sending you this memorial of a brave life given for others in the Great War then it is signed by the King.
l shall have to do a search for some photographs l took and see if l can post them on the forum.

Ger22van
That is always the problem Trying to read what other people are saying and sometimes getting it wrong
But we will get there in the end

:angel: Hi guys I think this is the one GER22VAN is talking about... If so I sent a copy to Rod and he put it on 'The Main Site' a while ago. (I am also doing a right up on the guy who perfected the medal, as he has a family link to Brum. I got the permission to do so off another guy who did all the research in to the Medal and it's creator. Thing is I haven't had time to complete it yet but it's getting there... Watch this space...).

https://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/id97.htm

6f9e7f00.jpg

Last edited:
l know there is the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier in Westminster Abbey and the Wall Of Rememberance at Tyne Cott Memorial but my thoughts always turn to Flanders Fields and the poppies in a breeze. Rest well Uncle Joe.

11071 Pte., Joseph Goldsbury. 1 st Battalion. South Staffordshire Regiment.
Died 26 th October 1917 Age 23

Ernie
I never sent you the scoll as I did not get your address if you want it E-mail me your address
Or have you downloaded the scroll and printed it off ?

Cromwell. l have sent you an email to explain what has been happening, l was going to get back to you if l had any trouble. l dont know if it would print out better as an email attachment. l guess its trouble at this end.

Ernie, Just been sent this postcard dated 1930 so I should imagine photo on postcard was taken around
1925-30 note the wooden crosses have all been replaced by headstones but few remain to be slowly replaced

Cromwell. It must have been a colossal task to organize and set out Tyne Cot Memorial, all known graves started with a simple wooden cross then having to replace them with headstones. l quite think that the wooden crosses are the original markers for the known graves. What a task it must have been , and even today the prestige condition in which it is all kept. l would love to visit Tyne Cote Memorial and the area where they fought on their last day. So peaceful today to what it was like those many years ago. We Shall Remember Them.

Back