• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

not sure but i thnk the 110 went to tamworth via Kingsbury

Denise H

Denise H

I haven't a clue, but I would have thought that one of our resident Midland Red experts would have jumped at the opportunity to tell us all. Along with the type and model of the bus, the route it took, how long it was in service, how many passengers it carried and even the name of the driver.

Phil

Not to get too invoved with the Midland Red here but yes the 110 went to Tamworth and the bus is a Daimler Fleetline (Midland Red type DD11). There might be a bit of artistic licence here as I don't recall the 110 used the upper part of New Street but I daresay Llloyd may know.

Here is a back end of the same type of bus seen outside Rackhams in Corporation Street on route 160 to Kingshurst Estate in the 1960's.

BHF20.jpg

Last edited:
Mike

I have to be honest, when I posted it I thought it was strange that any Midland Red would be at that End of New St. It would be a rather convoluted way of getting to Station St or Digbeth.

Phil

Corporation Street - 1940's and 60's. Shows the difference 20 years can make and what was lost for Rackhams.

Great Phil the more the merrier!

If the leaning tower of pisa,the parthenon and the collosium had been in Birmingham ,the council would have demolished them to build more shops.

Perhaps that bus was one of those that go to "Not In Service".
They must have a marvellous bus route there, there's one every three minutes!

Perhaps that bus was one of those that go to "Not In Service".
They must have a marvellous bus route there, there's one every three minutes!

That may be true, until you come up against the age old problem of half a dozen turning up at once. Then you have to wait eighteen minutes for the next one.

No thats not fair, I shouldn't mock I haven't used a Birmingham bus for over 40 years so I don't know how they run.

Phil

That may be true, until you come up against the age old problem of half a dozen turning up at once. Then you have to wait eighteen minutes for the next one.

No thats not fair, I shouldn't mock I haven't used a Birmingham bus for over 40 years so I don't know how they run.

Phil
Phil, you should try waiting for a bus in Lichfield.They're so rare that half the population turn out to line the streets,cheer and wave flags as they go by.

Your exaggerating, one passes the bottom of our road nearly every day.

What we all need is a bit of colour in our lives.

Birmingham Bull Ring
Birmingham Smallbrook Ringway
Edgbaston Auchinleck Square

City Bull Ring & Rotunda Postcard.jpgCity Smallbrook Ringway (1).jpgAuchinleck Square Five Ways Edgbaston.jpg

Last edited:
Back to black and white and away from the City centre for a view of the now gone Warstock pub as it was in the 1950's. Note the two bakery vans, electric for Pattersons and motor for Bradfords. Were the drivers delivering there or enjoying a swift half of Ansells together or both? Another unknown in a little glimpse of yesteryear life caught on camera.

BHF21.jpg

Last edited:
When I see this postcard of The Town Gate Sutton Park, all those Sunday trips by steam train in the fifties and sixties come tumbling back. Why is it so different now?

Phil

Sutton Park.jpg

Last edited:
New Street as only the older folks will remember it. This mid 1930's view shows the High Street end. The war would bring about the Big Top Site down on the left and see off the Guinness clock in the background. Big changes were to come on the right as well.

BHF22.jpg

Last edited:
Heres one for our transport buffs to salivate over. Alum Rock tram terminus. Which I think was the No 8 service and the terminus was at the Pellham.

Wait I shouldn't know that.......... Aaaaaagh I'm turning in to a transport fanatic. Help me please tell me I am wrong.

Phil

Alum Rock Tram Terminus.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks for that one Phil. Some time ago I did a painting of almost the same spot but using artistic licence took out the post by the Bundy clock.
View attachment 101910CAR 777.jpg

Attachments

• alum rock.JPG
    alum rock.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
On before, but new to this Thread, Easy Row. Posted 26-2-1954 but view looks more 1940's than 50's.

Attachments

• easy row.JPG
    easy row.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Some of Birmingham's oldest buildings.

Bournville Pavillion Bournville
Stratford House Camp Hill
Castle Bromwich Hall Castle Bromwich
The Childrens Hospital Ladywood
Birmingham University Edgbaston.

Bournville Bournville Pavillion (2).jpgCamp Hill Stratford House.jpgCastle Bromwich Hall 1868.JPGLadywood The Childrens Hospital.jpgEdgbaston Birmingham Uni.jpg

Last edited:
Back