• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sparkhill

bobsummers

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Well the Balsall Heath thread has been fascinating reading, but Sparkhill was at this time after the war a great cultural centre of entertainment, The Piccadilly and Waldorf cinemas, the roller rink in Walford Road, Dave and Shirley the hair dressers on the Stratford Road, 80 a side football matches in Sparkhill Park, The Swimming and Bathing Baths near the park, all the disco, night clubs and dancing clubs on the Stratford Road. Whats your memories and stories of the area.

A lot of my growing up was done in Sparkhill, even though I left there when I just a few weeks old. My nan Bradley remained in Newton Rd., so a lot of my childhood memories are of 'the old end'. I guess the things I remember most are the same as for others. Seeing Flash Gordon at the Carlton Cinema on a Saturday morning. Roller skating at the rink in Walford Rd. And I must try and show restraint as I mention Burden's ice cream. Myself and Graham (Cadeau) could write a whole thesis on that subject, I'm sure, our first love affair (with the ice cream). Oh that smell. Stop it! My brother now lives in Wales, and its ridiculous how many of our telephone conversations seem to drift back to that ice cream. I have even tried to 'recreate' it (no chance I hear you say). Mixing Carnation cream with Walls Cornish. Not a bad result! Sundays were spent playing by the canal at the B.S.A. (did dad have a plan?). Dad and his brothers all worked there and always played snooker in the social club on a Sunday. I can see myself and my brother bobbing up to see through the small round window, trying to catch their attention. Yes, result, another bottle of Vimto and bag of Smith's crisps!

Here's a photo of my dad, Harold Bradley, at the front of 81 Newton Rd. Sparkhill.

Sorry photo didn't upload.
Photo of my dad, Harold Bradley, at the front of 81 Newton Rd.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Bob,
the Piccadilly and the Carlton were my favorite cinemas and i used to live at the roller rink i was in the race team there, i would sail my yacht and motor boat at Sparkhill park and i was always at the swimming baths i was a water baby i used to be in the gala every year when i was at Clifton rd school the high dive, there was a place above Burtons on the Stratford rd that i went to a few times and then i started ballroom dancing.

in the photo i am middle row fifth from the left.

Re: Sparkhill & Sparkbrook

Most extraordinary Ann B, is that my family also lived in Newton Road at 29 next to the Building family, Mr & Mrs ? forget the name (Wilkes) and 2 sons. Also the dog Brock a small black dog that Barked at me all the time, I was small and terrified. They had a great social life in the street even ran 4 football teams in the 50,s called Newton Social. my dad used to look after all the case balls, dubbin & a hardy bicycle pump I recall. We played "Hard Tig Ball" in the street, football & cricket. kids where allowed in the 50's & 60's untill you broke a window. We broke loads and scarped very quickly. In fact we must have kept someone in full time work. Another trick was to tie cotton on two opposite door knockers and as the horse drawn milk float went by the doors Knocked simultaneously (Simple minds I know?) and we used to light photo negatives and as they smoldered, an awfully smell used to be given off in that area, like a long lasting stink bomb. What fun!! Your family must have lived at the top of the hill up from the Stoney Lane which was the boarder with Balsall Heath. In-fact on Bonfire nights we used to be in area gangs and have banger fights with one gloved hand, very cool what? See the photo of one of the teams sent to me from George Tustin from Australia. Do you remember the 2 shops in the street, Goodienuffs at the bottom and the corner shop by the outdoor Mrs Shipphams? Both sold great sweets and ice lolls.

Fredrick I used to also remember the Carlton, now Knocked down, how did they get a great cinema on that small bit of land in Clifton Rd. I used to go on Saturday afternoons with my frozen Jubblie in hand, my school football kit on, boots over my shoulder and mud on my Knees. Watching all the cowboy films and trailers. It used to be packed in fact you could not guarantee getting in with the big long ques outside. I suppose you was one of the quick skaters who could at speed get under neath the parameter bar at the Waldorf Rink.

Nice memories Frederick, can't get my 15 year old out of the door for Computer games and he's only been home 3 days

Newton rd i always thought they were the better houses i envied people that lived up that road.

Newton rd i always thought they were the better houses i envied people that lived up that road.

Posh hey! both my summer Welles had hand me down holes in the worn down soles, my winter Wells had cut out corn flake cardboard and the Times news paper in the bottom to keep the damp out.
oh yes and i always had the ring of no confidence around my calf's. It wasn't untill I upgraded to Black plimsolls that I was noticed by the fairer sex.

hi Bob,

ho so you lived the same as us then, at last you have put my mind at rest after all this time.

I was born in Blackford Road, off Bakers Street, before the war, we moved to a new House in Warstock a year after but we used to go back to Blackford Rd. a lot because my grandmother and aunty lived there, my nan used to take me to the Salvation Army on the Stratford Rd., also remember Taverners, the pie shop close to Burtons.

Hi Bob,
Not 'extraordinary' our families are from the same road really, I'm getting used to the coincidences on this site. Fred's dad, Fred Ford, is on a photo I posted of the Bradley's in the Red Lion Ladypool Rd. (going in the Brummagem Mag Sept. issue). I don't remember the names of the shops, but perhaps my brother will. Two of my cousins worked at Westwoods the greengrocers. My husband said he used to play 'the negative trick' and post them into the phone boxes. Naughty boys! I don't know whether the family felt they were doing better when they moved to Newton Rd. I know they had no choice, having been bombed out of their house on the Warwick Rd. Before that they were for many years in White Rd. Sparkbrook and dad went to Clifton Rd. School.
I remember the fast racers at Walford Rd. rink. When my brother fell over the once, one scooped him up, no problem, and took him to safety at the side. Was that you Fred?
Bob these are two photos taken at the back of the house in Newton Rd. I guess your family's must have looked similar.

Ann

hi gang,
WERE ARE THE FUNNY FACES THAT ARE USUALLY TO THE RIGHT.

with my swimming my mom said to me have a shower after you have had your swim so that saved me the tin bath by the fire, i would go to Moseley rd baths every day after school and Sparkhill at weekends and holidays. a friend of mine his mom said he could go swimming as long as he dident get wet. and we all know the bug hut in Ladypool rd.

hi Ann,
i could well have helped the boy while i was looking at the girls i would have picked the girls up no problem.

the skating team on the steps bottom row the one in the middle is Les Woodley he was the fastest man in the world on skates and i looked up to him, when we were on the continent we were all at a lido and i was diving off the top board the jack knife the swallow and he was all over me he was really impresst i was 16 at the time and i was gobsmacked him looking up to me.

I was born in Blackford Road, off Bakers Street, before the war, we moved to a new House in Warstock a year after but we used to go back to Blackford Rd. a lot because my grandmother and aunty lived there, my nan used to take me to the Salvation Army on the Stratford Rd., also remember Taverners, the pie shop close to Burtons.

Great Photo John70 it looks like the old 36 bus that went from Sparkbrook to Yardley via Hall Green and cross country, that was a handy bus service. At the back of the Bus was Burton's Tailors, An Irish lad worked there Jimmy Hurst worked there before he moved to better things in town mid 60's. He coined the Phrase of suits " Its not mohair, its not double mohair, ITS HOP-SACK!" Must be said in an Irish accent to be authentic.
Above was a club, Forgot the name but met the Olanza sisters there in early 60's, Janet and Sue?, they where gorges from Camphill, anyway I tried to show off in my Mohair suit by jumping off the back of bus at Camphill back-wards, IE the opposite way to the bus was going. yes you guest it damaged my limbs all over and ruined my flash new suit.

i had a cracking suit made at Burton's it was a two tone with very dark green stripes about 1/2 inch wide with a red pasily lining, we were a smart lot.

Bob

I also remember the club above Burton's and I can't remember the name either, I think I only ever got in there a couple of times. I know later in years it was an Irish drinking club because a young nephew of mine owns the property at the rear of it in St Johns Rd.

Do you remember the club over the road on the corner of Showell Green Lane. The Cascades I think it was called. It was a bit of a rough place and the thing I remember most about the place in the early seventies was. The bouncer was a huge West Indian called "King"

I remember being in the curry house that was below the club on Stratford Rd one night and the manager had got a couple of blokes refusing to pay for their meal.

He telephoned upstairs and a couple of moments later "King" came in through the back door. The two lads just looked at him and got their wallets out and paid up.

Phil

Bob

I also remember the club above Burton's and I can't remember the name either, I think I only ever got in there a couple of times. I know later in years it was an Irish drinking club because a young nephew of mine owns the property at the rear of it in St Johns Rd.

Do you remember the club over the road on the corner of Showell Green Lane. The Cascades I think it was called. It was a bit of a rough place and the thing I remember most about the place in the early seventies was. The bouncer was a huge West Indian called "King"

I remember being in the curry house that was below the club on Stratford Rd one night and the manager had got a couple of blokes refusing to pay for their meal.

He telephoned upstairs and a couple of moments later "King" came in through the back door. The two lads just looked at him and got their wallets out and paid up.

Phil

Hi Phil
The Cascade Club on the corner of Showell Green lane & Stratford Road Actually CASCADED in the mid 80's onto the Stratford Road, littery, and is no longer there on that spot, I was to young to go there, Ha Ha!
I'm surprised you haven't posted a photo of the place (see my request for a whiskey a go go Photo)

Bob

I remember when that happened, It caused a bit of a mess (and got brick dust in my drink). The reason why I haven't posted a photo of the Cascade is the same reason I haven't posted a photo of the Whiskey a Go Go and that is sorry but I don't have one.

Although I am always looking, you never know what I might come across. You are right about being too young for the Cascade's, nobody was ever old enough to go in there. I'm afraid they had some very low dives in the area, places you would never tell your mother you had been in.(and I frequented every one).

Phil

I lived in Osbourne Rd .. in the 60s . I remember going to the piccadily every sat morning with a tanner . We used to walk down osborne rd ... along Walford rd and down to turn left onto the Stratford Rd ... to the piccadily and then in the afternoon Walk down to the swimming baths at Sparkhill .
Good times :)
Oh I went to Montgomery street school . It was brilliant
Jean

last saturday week i was in brum after being to a party the night befor so i had a look around, i drove up Colville rd and on to Ladypool rd and there was building work going on at whot was Westwoods i wonder what it will be when finished. and have we run out of English names to name a school that we have to look abroad for names

Fred

The thing is that area of Birmingham is now mostly populated by immigrants of all nationality, and English placenames would not mean a great deal to them.

As for Westwoods I would imagine it will be another curry house, as there seems to be a shortage of them in the area. Talking about Westwoods, did you hear that Ray jones died a couple of years back. I heard that Carl Chinn was at his funeral. I never went myself as I did not hear about it until it was all over.

Phil

A photo taken in St. John's Road, Sparkhill, for May Day 1930. Showing Philip H. Fowler, aged 14, with his pony and milk cart.

Ann

Hi All, I lived in Formans Rd, Sparkhill from 1945-1962. Also went Sparkhill baths only we called it "The Freezer"
My cousins were the Matthews boys that lived in Newton Rd, somewhere near the top end I remember. Thet are John Henry, David, Frank and Dennis perhaps you remember them too.
My first ballroom steps were learned above Burtons. I too had a camel coat with a yellow scarf, thought I was the bees knees!

Sorry but I missed the start of this thread as I was away on my hols all last summer.

Though my cousin Frederick and I didn't live in Sparkhill we have the same memories as we were very close until the mid 60's. We would go to the Carlton together and the Embassy skate rink. Even if I say so myself I was very quick on those skates but never raced as I couldn't afford the kit and I eventually chose cycle racing; why I'll never know as I never met one cycle racer or anyone that was mad enough to go cycling with me!
icon10.gif
But those skating sessions were a good base for my cycling career.

Fred and I went to the same tailor but before those days I didn't have a decent suit so had to borrow clobber from Fred and he took me to some gigs in the area.

Graham.

Hi All, I lived in Formans Rd, Sparkhill from 1945-1962. Also went Sparkhill baths only we called it "The Freezer"
My cousins were the Matthews boys that lived in Newton Rd, somewhere near the top end I remember. Thet are John Henry, David, Frank and Dennis perhaps you remember them too.
My first ballroom steps were learned above Burtons. I too had a camel coat with a yellow scarf, thought I was the bees knees!

Sparkhill boy I knew the Mathews family. A talented lot as I recall. We all used to sit on there wall and play polly on the mopstick. their house was in the middle of Newton Road just above the hill down to Stonry Lane.

When we were kids we used to go to the Piccadilly pictures on a Saturday morning and then walk down the Stratford rd to go swimming at the baths .I remember one the 3 of us went into the Salvation Army building .. we wanted to join up . Besides being a bit young they wanted Thrupence each which we of course hadnt got ..so we never joined .. blimey memories :)
Thanks for that memory jolt
Jean xx

Hello Catsclaws. Do you rember the "tanner rush" at the Piccadilly? The first two rows of the cinema were priced at 6d (2 1/2p) now. After those rows were filled you had to pay the normal price. Except, if one of your mates could open the fire doors at the side and you could get in free as long as you were quick enough to avoid the usherettes.

hey Sparkhill .. yeah /.. I remember .. I must have made it in .. well I had to really cos mum only gave us a tanner each on a sat morning . Had no money for sweets :( Fraid we were really poor hun . You know I was about 10 and my sisters were 11 and 13 respectively . Life was easier then eh hun ?
Jeanxx

Looking at some of the photo’s posted on here in the last few years; this one stood out for the quality of the framing and interest in the subject. A little steam loco with it’s attached tram car going about it’s business; chugging along the Stratford Road towards Birmingham. It’s at the junction of Court Road and Stratford Road and the picture is looking towards the direction of Henley/Stratford and it’s a winters day at half past 12. The year must have been 1906 give or take and this may have been one of the last trips for this little engine…the overhead wires are there for the electric trams which were to replace steam. The tram would have run it’s journey back and forth for the whole of the Boer war and now that had ended and maybe some of the soldiers were spending Christmas at home for the first time in a while. Behind the photographer there was a hospital back then and just behind the lamppost the cape of a nurse can be seen and a nurses cap perhaps and another nurse further away in a different coat but a hat also. Maybe they were hurrying to the library to change books during the lunch break. The library being across the road …the building with the clock tower. The building is still there and a library now so I presume it always was. When the tram was passing, the library would have been fairly new back then. It is not on the 1890 survey so that it may have been built in the field during the steam trams tenure of operation. Anyway I must have passed this place many times on the Midland Red and it would not have looked any different except for the vehicles and overhead wires and tram lines…after a while anyway. It’s not so cold maybe but the English dampness would make it seem so and the slush always made life miserable. There would be a few years of peace before the start of the first world war. One of my favorite pictures and I think a real stunner.
(Replacement photo, probably the same as original)
Map ref. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10119&ox=1370&oy=1555&zm=1&czm=1&x=396&y=156

Attachments

• 8 Sparkhill Court Rd - Stratford Rd Steam Tram.JPG
    8 Sparkhill Court Rd - Stratford Rd Steam Tram.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Back