• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St George's Church Newtown

st geos memorial.jpg st geos memorial 2.jpg st georges memorial 3.jpg st geos memorial 4.jpg this is the ww1 war memorial with some inscriptions.

Last edited:
headstones resting against the wall and an inscription. ive got a couple more if anyone would like me to put them on. wales.

Attachments

• st geos church 081.JPG
    st geos church 081.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 12
  • st geos church 037.JPG
    st geos church 037.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 10
  • st geos church 045.JPG
    st geos church 045.JPG
    435.4 KB · Views: 13
  • st geos church 021.JPG
    st geos church 021.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 13
Wales lovely pictures. As I think most of you know by now I am always taking photo's of old headstones, we never know when they will be gone. Great bit of history thanks for posting.

glad you both like them. ive only put 8 on. will wack a couple more on for you. wendy i liked the one of the memorial of ww1. did you notice the poppies. nice to know our heros were not forgotton. wales.

heres a couple more. mom and dad were married at st georges in 1950. i will borrow a photo next week and put it on this thread. wales.

Great photos Wales.
I belonged to the cubs at St Georges. I can't remember the number of the troup; it may have been 21? Any other ex St George cubs out there?

Michael, I wasn't in the cubs - I was in the Life Bouys (boys) pre Boys Brigade in Burbury Street.

keith

found the other pics folks. ive got that many its taken me an hour to find it. i found this in the summer lane book. wales.

this is the ww1 war memorial with some inscriptions.

Hi Wales

You've done it again!! Another brilliant photo for me that means an awful lot. I always thought my dad told me that Grandad's name was on the war memorial in St. Georges Church yard. From the picture you have posted it clearly shows my Great Uncles name Alfred Mason whom I believe my dad was named after. Alfred Mason was my nan's (Dad's moms) brother. Apparently he signed up and lied about his age. When Kitchner was calling men to arms he went up with some friends. He lied about his age and he was the only one of his friends to be enlisted. I know he died as a POW in Stendal Germany. I am so glad there is a memorial to him and the other St. George's boys who lost their lives.

Thank you so much Lyn - you have made my day.

Jules

WOW jules what a result. i am so pleased for you. i dare say you will get a copy of that and frame it. it was a stroke of luck i put that one on as i think i took pics of the inscriptions on all 4 sides of the memorial well i think i did. i take so many i get confused lol. i know wendy will be happy for you too. will go back to my pics and put the others on in case it helps other members. no thanks needed its my pleasure. lyn

None of my relations there Lyn but there is a Rudhall who was probably the brother of our next door neighbour in Guildford St

its still nice to know that michael. considering the church yard is slap bang in the middle of a housing estate it really is very quite and tranquil lyn

Hi Wales, thanks for all the photos of the memorial. Looking at the inscription my grandad's name wouldn't have been included as this is a tribute to the men who died during WW1. My grandad died in 1960 five years before I was born. I have recently seen a photograph of him for the first time.

I was talking to my Uncle (my dad's brother) and his mother was deeply upset at the loss of her brother who was so young. (I bet he was excited to be going to war - a big adventure - not knowing the harsh reality) It can bring tears to my eyes just thinking about it and he died even before my dad was born. I am so glad that the memorial is still used to remember these brave men and their sacrifices.

I just hope the churchyard is left in peace and tranquility.

Jules

jules. i too shed a tear for your gt uncle. i have read of so many who died so young in the 2 wars. it realy made my day to know that the photo i put on was of great importance to you and also i hope given you some comfort to know he was not forgotton. best wishes to you and your family. im sure we will talk again. lyn

Great pics and info of St George's, Wales!

My maternal grandparents were married there in 1892 and my parents married there in 1918 and I was christened there in 1925. We lived round the corner in Howard Street but later moved to Small Heath so lost track of the old end.

hi icarus. glad you like the photos. im hoping to put a couple on here soon of mom and dads wedding at st georges. ive got a couple of howard st so if you go to the streets and neighbours thread i will start a thread for howard st and put them on for you. best wishes wales.

Hi Wales, could I have your help please. One of my cousins wants to visit the war memorial in St. Georges Church yard. I could take them there (I think) as I believe it is on the 69 bus route but they would like the address. Do you know the name of the street please. Many thanks.

Jules

hi jules. not sure about the 69 anymore but the 46 stops right outside the churchyard which ever way you are coming from. its in hampton st. hope this helps. lyn ps where are coming from

Wales....ive got a couple of howard st so if you go to the streets and neighbours thread i will start a thread for howard st and put them on for you. best wishes wales.
Cheers, Wales. That would be great.

icarus. i already put them on for you. go to the street and neighbours thread and look under howard street. hope they are ok wales

Hi Lyn. Thanks for the info. Don't know exactly where they are coming from (cannot remember) I have it somewhere on my computer. They are 2nd or 3rd cousins that I have met up with via Genes Reunited. Alfred Mason was their grandfather's brother. ps had forgotton that the 69 doesn't run anymore - I should have known it was now the 46! Time goes by so quickly.

i thought you were going back a bit with 69 jules. hope your trip goes ok. im really pleased i helped in a small way. let me know if you have any probs getting there. lyn

My mom and dad married at St. Georges in October 1945. Here are a couple of photos that I have come across. They are not "official" ones - I will have to try and find those. They show my mom arriving at the church with my grandad. The last one is of her two bridesmaids, the lady on the right was her sister. Dad was still in the Army at the time, he was still serving in Italy in 1946. Not exactly sure when he was discharged.

View attachment 17092View attachment 17093View attachment 17094

jules. what lovely photos and the dress is gorgeous. you can also see the church quite well. going down moms tomorrow so i will borrow some photos.im sure thers a couple of her wedding at st. georges. wales

Back