• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Midland Red at Digbeth

Many thanks ragga, stay tuned, there's more to come if you can stand it. My favourites were the dual purpose LS18A's with black roofs. Showboats de luxe with S15 style seating that was more comfortable than proper coach seats. Here is brand new 5177 in the garage prior to entering service. Our only other LS18A was 5175, pity we didn't have more.

I can find no online details, other than this reference in an enthusiast website:
"3 Aug: 80 years of Aldergate Depot, Tamworth. Open Day c/o Arriva Midlands. Stalls, free bus services, preserved Midland Red buses, proceeds to local charity."

I would guess it's from 11 to 5, most events are. Hopefully I'll be there as Wythall museum are sending a vehicle or two.

Just rang Tamworth Depot 80th aniversary tomorrow 10ish to 4ish. Stalls, old Midland Red vehicles, free trips around town. Arriva Aldergate Tamworth.

jfc,
Many don't know it yet but the BCT Standard 3225 will sneak into Tamworth for the celebration tomorrow. I know cos I'm driving it - there, the cat's out the bag now but if you are about look out for it and meself. If Wendy gets hold of this snippet she and her hubby are very welcome look it over and cab 3225 as are you and any other Forum folk around Tamworth. Just introduce yourselves and welcome.
Mike

As a contrast to all things Red on this thread here is BCT Standard 2707 in Coventry proving they did stray over the City boundary now and again.The Midland Red connection is that when outside the boundary on such trips there was always on display in the lower saloon nearside front window a paper sticker stating "On Hire to Midland Red" under some agreement with the Red. One of these stickers will also be displayed on 3225 when we arrive in Tamworth.

Many thanks ragga, stay tuned, there's more to come if you can stand it. My favourites were the dual purpose LS18A's with black roofs. Showboats de luxe with S15 style seating that was more comfortable than proper coach seats. Here is brand new 5177 in the garage prior to entering service. Our only other LS18A was 5175, pity we didn't have more.
Hi. Mike. Your memory is a lot better than mine, but didn,t we have 5185 at Digbeth also?.

John, we did have 5185 at Digbeth, but it wasn't a DP. Latest offering here is D5 3777 seen early on a Summer Saturday morning in 1964 parked out in Bradford Street. Overnight stay Black & White coaches were parked out as well to clear the garage. Interesting to see the old Fruit Market in the background.

John, we did have 5185 at Digbeth, but it wasn't a DP. Latest offering here is D5 3777 seen early on a Summer Saturday morning in 1964 parked out in Bradford Street. Overnight stay Black & White coaches were parked out as well to clear the garage. Interesting to see the old Fruit Market in the background.
Mike. I hate to question your judgement, but 5185 was a DP, I have now gone and checked my book and the DP,s ran from 5175 to 5194, I remember 5185 in particular because it was the first LS18 I drove in service, took it over at the wheatsheaf for a second portion towards Shirley statoin,, then at a later date done a X96 in it to Northamton. Sorry mate.

You are right John , sorry, it was a DP when new and only much later on upseated to 53 bus seats. Thanks for putting me right on that. 5175/5177 come to mind but 5185 not for some reason and on checking I don't have a photo of it either. Will look out for one now.
Mike

The Corgi CM5T (Coach, Motorway tuned, type 5, Toilet fitted) was for it's day a very good model. The motorway express coaches really caught the public's notice and were the best publicity the company had for many years, and models by Corgi and Budgie Toys, and a sectioned drawing in the Eagle comic by Leslie Ashwell Wood displaying the components of the coach were quite thrilling to us youngsters at the time. A school friend and I made a couple of trips to London for the day (could you imagine parents allowing 12 year olds to do that now?) and I timed one run by the milepost markers on the hard shoulder, I still have the notebook somewhere.
Little could I dream that in another 12 years time I'd be driving one of the next series of motorway coaches on the same route!
There are better and more detailed models available now, but I imagine many men still have their chipped Corgi model from boyhood days, when they too imagined driving 'the fastest coach in the world'.

The Midland Red produced this official photo of the CM5T taken alongside the wall overlooking the reservoir at their Carlyle Works in Edgbaston. Seen here is 4826.

Mike. I hate to question your judgement, but 5185 was a DP, I have now gone and checked my book and the DP,s ran from 5175 to 5194, I remember 5185 in particular because it was the first LS18 I drove in service, took it over at the wheatsheaf for a second portion towards Shirley statoin,, then at a later date done a X96 in it to Northamton. Sorry mate.

Hi John,
To make amends, here's a shot of 4028, your fanbelt fright bus, seen on the X68 at Southgate Street Bus Station, Leicester in 1964. It was still showing the earlier war wounds around the foglight area of my very first bump on the morning of 18th January 1964 just 4 days after going on to driving. In fog, on a greasy road, coming in on a 181 from Cranmore Boulevard with a standing load, as I came over the brow of the College hill on the Stratford Road I realised the traffic was stopped halfway down so braked but started to slide. Feathering the brake helped slow me down but I ran out of road as the traffic started to crawl forward and I ran into the back of a Triumph Herald. The doors, bonnet and boot all sprang open as the Herald shunted into an Austin A35 van. Both drivers got out but the van driver checked the back of his van, jumped back in and drove off without damage. The Herald driver blew up but the only real damage was to his back bumper. 4028 had a broken foglight glass and what you see in the photo. My conductress nor the passengers even realised we had been in a bump. After particulars were exchanged we just carried on to the City. When I attended office over it I was let off "for lack of experience" but it taught me a valuble lesson at the best possible time - always drive with care. That same afternoon the fog came down again and it took 6 hours to get to Water Orton and back. Wouldn't have minded but that was a Toy Town route!
Mike

Another great photo Mike, I hated having to correct you of all people about 5185, you have forgotten more than I ever learnt, hope to see you at Brislington Sunday. John.

As well as the photos on https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/c1554746.html

I have now posted film of the day on YouTube Part One is at
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9QS_83m8Zg"]YouTube - Sunday 3 August 2008 Celebrating 80 Years of at Tamworth Garage and 90 years of Midland Red in Tamworth part one[/ame]

Part Two is at
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYVnPg7gu2I"]YouTube - Sunday 3 August 2008 Celebrating 80 Years of at Tamworth Garage and 90 years of Midland Red in Tamworth Part Two[/ame]

Another great photo Mike, I hated having to correct you of all people about 5185, you have forgotten more than I ever learnt, hope to see you at Brislington Sunday. John.

Glad you did John, will be at Brislington on Sunday so see you then.
Mike

Hi Mike and Lloyd. Nice to meet you both. I enjoyed the day last Sunday. The earache didn't last that long.

Thanks for the photo,s and video,s, I would have enjoyed being there, but could not make it.

Used to work with a mechanic who worked for BMMO at Bearwood called Phil Spencer, used to tell many stories of the old BMMO days.

Work has started on the site I hve taken photos of the work so far at https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/c1541061.html

I think the big piece of steel work used to sit in the area of the coach/bus wash failing that it may have sat over the original pit area as yet I have not heard a builder say that they have found any parts to a Midland Red bus mind you at the moment they are digging up huge parts of the floor to the bus/coach garage/depot

There were cellars under the offices at the corner of Mill Lane and Digbeth - I've been down in them. They were used for storage of old waybills, etc. and accessed from a manhole in the former GTA's office (GTA=Garage Traffic Assistant - the chap who did the daily rotas)
There were bus parts put in the cellars of the former houses in Bradford Street - the area was later used for a staff car park, then tarmaced for coach parking in the 80's or 90s. The area between the entrance to the fuelling bay and the Anchor pub.
The former dock foreman, Norman Keen, told me he had emptied redundant parts from the depot stores when the houses (which he called 'The Cottages') were demolished and put them in the cellars, the remaining space was filled by demolished brickwork.
The view of a 'cellar' in photograph https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p47860081.html was actually part of the engineering pits area, a sort of parts and tools store. The pit support beams can be seen extreme right, with surrounding smooth-walled areas.
This area had perviously been 'the patch' used for bus parking, as seen in some of motorman-mike's pictures. It had been cattle pens for the markets before that.
A single house had stood about where the mechanical digger is in the photo, possibly to do with the cattle pens originally but owned by the Midland Red later. I don't know what it was used for, or if anyone lived in it in its later years, it was demolished about 1973.

You are right John , sorry, it was a DP when new and only much later on upseated to 53 bus seats. Thanks for putting me right on that. 5175/5177 come to mind but 5185 not for some reason and on checking I don't have a photo of it either. Will look out for one now.
Mike
Here's a shot of 5178

Back