• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane School

gingerjon

master brummie
can any one help Brian please

I have searched everywhere with no joy for a photograph of Summer Lane school,now demolished.Can you help please?

Brian

John, was Summer Lane school the one just past the Crocodile Works? If so, I have a partial view of it taken in 1959.

I have the other half of the photo in Reply 2 but I would prefer to send it to you direct as it is a bit risque

Photo posted

John,
Great to see the photograph that you posted and I am almost certain that it is Summer Lane. My cousin went there and we lived just around the corner in New John Street West, so often walked past and on occasions ventured into the playground to kick a ball about. I will ask my cousin to verify but I am pretty sure that you've got the right picture.
Whoever was taking it must have been standing somewhere near the railings which formed the entrance to the site in Summer Lane itself. Hope that this is some help.

Hello John,
Great photo,yes it is Summer Lane school,it brought back so many memories.Some years ago Mr Edwards (an ex Summer Lane teacher)told me that the same day the demolition of the school started was the same day that Mr James(ex headmaster) died.
Maurice

Yes this is summer lane school mr edwards was my teacher and Mr james was my head master. I left in 1959

My Names was diane Keay

hi john, that is a photo of summer lane school. i went there 1958 to 1962 enjoyed my school daye in the main i can only remember a couple of teachers mr reese the science teacher mrs pierce domestic science mr byron english. if you get any more photos would you cindly post them , my name was gillian peace thanks .

Hi Gillian i lived in new john street west i have a sister named Janet Keay just woundered if you knew of us. We lived at 363 i now live in wales on anglesey.

Diane Keay

Hello Folk's,

I am newcomer to the site, joined 2 days ago, thanks to Alf Buckley for giving me the site address, (well done mate).

I used to live at 2/279 Summer lane, in between New John Street and Bridge Street, just behind the fish and chip shop, opposite the CO-OP, from 1945-1957, I went to Cowper Street School from 1946-1952, then I went to Summer Lane School from 1952-1956.

The amount of memories that came flooding back looking at the photo's of Summer Lane and the surrounding areas, was astounding, (didn't think I could remember that much).

I now live in Berkshire, place called Langley, close to Windsor.

Now I have found this site I will be a regular visitor, and try to post often.

paraman

I have just posted a photo of what I think is Summer Lane school in the 1920's as my dad said that is the school he went to, but he also told me he went to St Chads????
Worth a look!

Hello Diane,

I'm Gillian's cousin and have also posted on this thread. I was interested to see your reply since both Gill and I lived in New Johns St West. I lived roughly in the middle section between Summer Lane and Newtown Row and Gill lived much nearer to the top, up by Summer Lane. We both lived in 'yards' off the street but looking at your number it would seem as if you were on the other side of Summer Lane. I lived in the yard behind number 23 but I can't remember Gill's address.

They say that it's a small world and Gill lives in South Wales, while my wife is from a small village just outside Ruthin in North Wales.

I'm now 59 and my sister Jackie, who still lives in Birmingham, is 5 years older, so don't know if she might remember either of you. In any event Gill was the only one of us who went to Summer Lane, our house was demolished when I was ten and we were moved out of the area to Kingshurst and then on to Great Barr.

Best wishes
Peter
Hi Gillian i lived in new john street west i have a sister named Janet Keay just woundered if you knew of us. We lived at 363 i now live in wales on anglesey.

Diane Keay

hi john, good picture of summerlane school brings back happy memories i too went there left in 1966 i remember mr edwards mr byron mr wheeldon mr barter mr harris pe teacher . our sewing teacher was miss bland or mrs and mrs street also remember mr reece science teacher and old mrs jones i would love to see more pictures if anybody has any . Our headmaster was mr groves .

Hello Rosiebeardsmore,
Not too long ago on this site, someone posted "History of Summer Lane"I have just looked for it but cannot find it now.It contained many photos,which included some of the teachers you mention.
By the way,I remember the name Ada Beardsmore as a shopkeeper in the Hockley area in the 50s,was she any relation?
I hope someone puts up the link "History of Summer Lane" for you,I am sure you will find it very interesting.
Regards,
Maurice.

Back