• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wright great uncle willy

walshy

knowlegable brummie
hello to everyone who reads this post ,i really need some help.we are trying to find anything out about our great uncle william wright who was put into monyhull from a young age.we are trying to find out when he died but dont know where to start looking to try and get this information.we are sure he would of been buried at brandwoodend cemetry as it is around the corner from monyhull.would the cemetry hold records for the patients from monyhull?hope someone out there may be able to shed a little light tha:)nks walshy

Re: great uncle willy

Hi
Have you ANY dates? Names of parents? Names of siblings?
I know people have resources which might help but it's almost imposssible to do without clues to time frames/places.
Cheers
Marlene

hi marlene:)uncle willy is on the 1901 cencus with his family and he was 6 weeks old.his father was robert wright,mother selina wright nee howell his only sister was elsie may brothers robert,harold george and we think there was another brother called alf.as far as we know uncle willy would of been put into monyhull between the age of 9and 12 and never came out.elsie was the only person that we know who went to see him once a month and she said he lived until he was quite old this is all the information we have to go on .anything you could help us with would be very much appriciated thanks walshy:)

Kia Ora Walshy
That's much better! When we know, what you know, we can double check (because families sometimes tell whoppers :rolleyes: or simply cannot remember!)
Firstly if you want to get certificates here's what you need to know

Robert Wright married Selina Howell Dec Q 1889 Birmingham 6d/179
Their children were;
Elsie May Wright Sept Q 1895 or June Q 1896 Birmingham?
Robert Wright there are 3! Robert Samuel 1889, Robert 1891 & Robert Joseph 1892 all born B'ham.
Harold Wright there are 3! Harold Edward D 1893, Harold Edwin 1894 & Harold 1899.
George Wright There are heaps born in Birmingham!
If you want to go back further it is important that you track each person with the correct date of birth and their full name.
There is an Alfred George who died as an infant in Mar Q 1889.
Next I searched the Internet for Monyhull. There is a book titled "Monyhull 1906-1998 A History of Caring" by Dorothy Atkinson which you might get at your Library.
Monyhull seems to have been a hospital for the mentally disabled under the South Birmingham Health Authority. You should be able to write to them and ask if the Patient Records are available or if they can at least give you a date of death which would allow you to purchase the certificate. You will need to ask the family for his full name... I presume William?
Be aware that many records have a 100 year ban on them! I'm fighting at the moment to get the records of someone who died in an Institution in 1908!
https://www.hospitalsworldwide.com/listings/8781.php
This site gives a map and phone number where you could ask what info is available.
https://www.institutions.org.uk/pictures/hospitals/WAR/monyhull_hospital.htm
This site gives you some photos of what it was like earlier- perhaps about the time your Uncle Willy was there.

Hope this helps a little! I am not familiar with Birmingham at all so apologies if you know all of this!
I don't have the censuses to be able to help you further but somebody mightbe able to give you 1891.
Good Luck
Marlene
New Zealand

thanks marlene,we have all the relevant dates for our grandparents and aunt and uncles(willys parents and siblings)we have filled in a form with birmingham central libary who have submitted this to the relevant people asking if we can have permission to look through any of the papers and books which contain information on the patients who were in monyhull.we have to wait for 40 days to find out if we will get permission because of the 100 year thing.hopefully we will be able to view these as we have explained we are looking for willy as we are doing our family history and are praying that we do eventually find him so we can obtain his death certificate then eventually find out where he is buried.will let you know how things go walshy:)

Sorry I had nothing new to add . I hope you have some luck as searching for a death otherwise is a long haul!
Cheers
Marlene

Hi walshy

I found a 6wk old William on the 1901 with his parents but no siblings and the mother of Selina was given as Emily Russell ??

There is a birth --

William Henry Wright 2nd qtr 1901 Aston 6d 203

bren

the address on the 1901 cencus was william edward street court 3 1 house when william would of been put into monyhull they could of been living at 12 the sycamores stanhope street or 71 conybere street.bren where did you find your information from?it is right but on the cencus we have looked at there are other siblings with him.

Sorry, my mistake, 2 siblings :blush:

Name:William Henry Wright
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1901
Relation:Grandson
Father's Name:Robert
Mother's Name:Selina
Where born:Birmingham
Civil Parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Alban
County/Island:Warwickshire
Street address: Court 3, 1 House William Edward Street

Registration district:Aston
Sub registration district Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel:21
Household schedule number:78
Household Members:NameAge
Emily Russell
52 Head, Widow
Jessie Waldron
Elsie May Wright
Robert Wright
38 Son-in-Law
Robert Joseph Wright
Selina Wright
33 Daughter
William Henry Wright
6 weeks
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2856; Folio: 86; Page: 12.

You say Elsie was the one to visit him, do you know when she died, it sounds from what you have said that she outlived him. Just looking for a time era to look through as we stand a better chance knowing his middle name, bit better than just William Wright.

bren

thanks Bren your a star:)Elsie continued to go and see her brother William Henry Wright as far as we know until the late 1960s early 1970s.Elsie died in may 1983 but we think as she got older she stopped visiting William because of ill health as she never mentioned to any of the family that he had died and she attended his funeral.so as far as we know there would of been no family members at Williams funeral which is sad and upsetting walshy:(

Death registration --

Elsie May Wright born 6th May 1896 - 2nd qtr 1983 Birmingham 32 1146

bren

Hi
Well done Bren!
Selina Howell was born March Q1868 Birmingham.
In 1881 she is living as a niece & scholar with her Aunt Mary and Uncle Joseph CHINN at 144 Leopold St Aston.
She married Robert Wright Dec Q 1889.

Emily RUSSELL 31 is the wife of G Russell 31 unemployed Bricklayer of 4 back 80 Arthur Street Aston in 1881.

A George Russell married an Emily Jones June 1875 in Birmingham?

Maybe some kind soul can check the 1871 for Selina and the family in 1891 for you!
Regards
Marlene

hi everyone,Marlene i was wondering wether there was an address for Emily Jones who married A G Russell in 1875 as there is a good chance this is my GGGrandmother or if you know in which parish the wedding took place thanks walshy:)

Sorry Walshy there's no way of knowing any details such as address, ages, witnesses and/or occupations unless you either buy the Cert (7 quid) or search the Parish Registers yourself. Some Parishes are on film at your Mormon Church Family History Centre. By the way it's only G Russell not AG.
You'lll find it on Free BMD through googling!
Regards
Marlene

Hi walshy

I looked from 1983 to 1969 for a likely death for William and found nothing i would suggest fitted. I have not looked further as the information in the records prior to this is basic "William H", qtr, place, no indication of age or birth year. I will look a few years beyond 1983 as he might have lived to a ripe old age and you say that Elsie never mentioned it to anyone, and you would have to think she would have been informed if he died before her even though she was not able to visit him.

bren

thanks bren we really appriciate all that you have done for us :)we know most of Williams family lived until they were quite old.his mom Selina died when she was 76 , his father Robert was 88, brother Harold was 67 ,brother George was 75 and his sister Elsie was 87. walshy

hi everyone:)just thought i would let you know we applied to view certain files from monyhull to see if we can find anything out about uncle willy.we have now been given permission to view certain material after a very long wait:rolleyes:.we are going to the libary on saturday luckily we have 1 year to search through the papers,books so fingers crossed we will find something out and hopefully find out where willy is buried.will keep you posted on our findings if any:)

Hi walshy

Well that's good news, i hope you can find the information you want, be sure to let us all know how you progress

bren

Kia Ora Walshy
That's much better! When we know, what you know, we can double check (because families sometimes tell whoppers :rolleyes: or simply cannot remember!)
Firstly if you want to get certificates here's what you need to know

Robert Wright married Selina Howell Dec Q 1889 Birmingham 6d/179
Their children were;
Elsie May Wright Sept Q 1895 or June Q 1896 Birmingham?
Robert Wright there are 3! Robert Samuel 1889, Robert 1891 & Robert Joseph 1892 all born B'ham.
Harold Wright there are 3! Harold Edward D 1893, Harold Edwin 1894 & Harold 1899.
George Wright There are heaps born in Birmingham!
If you want to go back further it is important that you track each person with the correct date of birth and their full name.
There is an Alfred George who died as an infant in Mar Q 1889.
Next I searched the Internet for Monyhull.
There is a book titled "Monyhull 1906-1998 A History of Caring" by Dorothy Atkinson which you might get at your Library.
Monyhull seems to have been a hospital for the mentally disabled under the South Birmingham Health Authority. You should be able to write to them and ask if the Patient Records are available or if they can at least give you a date of death which would allow you to purchase the certificate. You will need to ask the family for his full name... I presume William?
Be aware that many records have a 100 year ban on them! I'm fighting at the moment to get the records of someone who died in an Institution in 1908!
https://www.hospitalsworldwide.com/listings/8781.php
This site gives a map and phone number where you could ask what info is available.
https://www.institutions.org.uk/pictures/hospitals/WAR/monyhull_hospital.htm
This site gives you some photos of what it was like earlier- perhaps about the time your Uncle Willy was there.

Hope this helps a little! I am not familiar with Birmingham at all so apologies if you know all of this!
I don't have the censuses to be able to help you further but somebody mightbe able to give you 1891.

Good Luck
Marlene
New Zealand

“There is a book titled "Monyhull 1906-1998 A History of Caring" by Dorothy Atkinson which you might get at your Library.”

The book is in fact by Deborah Hutchings.

Back