• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windsor Street Gas Works Explosion 1908

Vic

knowlegable brummie
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources that describe/discuss the explosion of Windsor Street Gas Works on Sunday 1st March 1908 - someone on another forum has kindly pointed me to the Erdington News for April 4th 1908 when my Great Grandfather was mentioned for winning an award and medal for his bravery (he was a fireman) at the scene - but I'd like to see if there is anywhere else that might discuss the topic - any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Vic

Try a search on here

It is free to register (think you get a few free pages) and search but you have to subscribe to read articles. It all depends which papers are available. I will try and look later.

Was the surname Linimore ? If so on October 6 he was complimented by the Mayor for bravery in stopping a runaway horse in Lichfield Road.

Was the surname Linimore ? If so on October 6 he was complimented by the Mayor for bravery in stopping a runaway horse in Lichfield Road.
Yes it is actually Lissimore - but the story of the runaway horse is what started my search. Do you mind telling me where you saw this? Thanks for looking for me - very much appreciated.

As Janice has mentioned from the Newspaper Archives. I just looked to how widely the incident was reported. There was much coverage, and Janice may be looking at the moment.

As Janice has mentioned from the Newspaper Archives. I just looked to how widely the incident was reported. There was much coverage, and Janice may be looking at the moment.
Thanks so much - I am looking now myself and can find lots about the incedent. My Great Great Grandfather (Albert Lissimore) was a fireeman at Aston Manor station. We had heard the story of the run-away horse but not in detail - just family whispers. He won a commendation from Queen Victoria for bravery and it's that I am hoping to find - however so far I've not had any luck. Victoria died as you may be aware in 1901 so I presume the incedent happened before that - however they may well have been handing out commendations in her name for some time after I don't know. His helmet and axe are on display in Birmingham fire station.

Attachments

• scan0103.jpg
    scan0103.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks so much - I am looking now myself and can find lots about the incedent. My Great Great Grandfather (Albert Lissimore) was a fireeman at Aston Manor station. We had heard the story of the run-away horse but not in detail - just family whispers. He won a commendation from Queen Victoria for bravery and it's that I am hoping to find - however so far I've not had any luck. Victoria died as you may be aware in 1901 so I presume the incedent happened before that - however they may well have been handing out commendations in her name for some time after I don't know. His helmet and axe are on display in Birmingham fire station.
This is a record in the National Archive

Attachments

• IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 23
hi viv...do you know if your gt gt grandfathers helmet and axe were lodged at the main fire station city centre...if so you may want to check they are still there or have they been removed because the fire station has now been converted into student flats

lyn

hi viv...do you know if your gt gt grandfathers helmet and axe were lodged at the main fire station city centre...if so you may want to check they are still there or have they been removed because the fire station has now been converted into student flats

lyn
Hi Lyn

I believe they were taken to the new station and are on display in the board room. I was told this a few years back when I found out that they were closing the station on Ettington Road - I must drop them a message to ask that this actually happened. I doubt they were lost or misplaced as they were a big deal to the brigade due to the history of Albert.

Regards
Vic

I take it the incident you think he was commended for by Queen Victoria is a separate incident to the gas explosion?

In the 1908 articles it says he had been a fireman for 6 years which puts it after the time of Queen Victoria.

I take it the incident you think he was commended for by Queen Victoria is a separate incident to the gas explosion?

In the 1908 articles it says he had been a fireman for 6 years which puts it after the time of Queen Victoria.
Yeah this is the problem I'm having. From what I have researched he was at Aston Manor Fire Station from 1901 to 1911 then transferred to the Birmingham Fire Service due to Aston becoming part of the borough. Roger Doyle the Sub-Officer for Birmingham wrote in an article (I think in 1973) in 'Firepower' the brigades own publication - 'He recieved a commendation fod saving life by Queen Victoria' - then he goes on about Alberts badge on the helmet pictured earlier. So as you know Queen Victoria died in 1901 - so I'm really looking for some story from around 1900 to 1901.

This article doesn’t mention Queen Victoria. It details that he was the recipient of merit badge from the Council, and silver medallion from Fire Brigade Chairman. However in a 1971 article it is said that he received a commendation for saving life from Victoria.

Yeah this is the problem I'm having. From what I have researched he was at Aston Manor Fire Station from 1901 to 1911 then transferred to the Birmingham Fire Service due to Aston becoming part of the borough. Roger Doyle the Sub-Officer for Birmingham wrote in an article (I think in 1973) in 'Firepower' the brigades own publication - 'He recieved a commendation fod saving life by Queen Victoria' - then he goes on about Alberts badge on the helmet pictured earlier. So as you know Queen Victoria died in 1901 - so I'm really looking for some story from around 1900 to 1901.
Hi Vic

Do not know if the attached link is of any help there is an email address in the article if it is not.

Interesting that the idea that a commendation from Victoria comes from a newspaper article in 1971, and a Fire Brigade publication around 1973.

There is a drowning case at Aston where artificial respiration given by Fireman Lissimore failed to safe a life. Sutton Coldfield News August 1911.

Interesting that the idea that a commendation from Victoria comes from a newspaper article in 1971, and a Fire Brigade publication around 1973.

There is a drowning case at Aston where artificial respiration given by Fireman Lissimore failed to safe a life. Sutton Coldfield News August 1911.

Oh awesome - I will check out that drowning article.

The 1971 article says - it could just be a letter he received and not referred to in the press. or those apers are not yet online/
1682429738213.png

Queen Victoria died in January 1901, in the year that Fireman Lissimore joined. His helmet and axe are preserved, but what happened to the letter of commendation?

Queen Victoria died in January 1901, in the year that Fireman Lissimore joined. His helmet and axe are preserved, but what happened to the letter of commendation?
I'm not 100% sure but I think one of my relatives has it - I need to find out but unfortunately she is very old and can't remember much at all.

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources that describe/discuss the explosion of Windsor Street Gas Works on Sunday 1st March 1908 - someone on another forum has kindly pointed me to the Erdington News for April 4th 1908 when my Great Grandfather was mentioned for winning an award and medal for his bravery (he was a fireman) at the scene - but I'd like to see if there is anywhere else that might discuss the topic - any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Vic
Am following this story with interest. My great grandfather Robert Alfred Dry started work at Windsor Street in 1872 aged 14 rising to become Chief Coke Salesman and retired in 1930, eventually died in 1936. My grandfather also R.A.DRY worked for the gas department and retired 1950 by when my father was living with his dad in Moseley. I'm interested because my great grandad was involved in a runaway horse/cab incident in Birmingham around 1908 and this story was printed in the Birmingham Gazette so I'll try and find a copy of the article for upload. I'm not saying these incidents are connected but its fascinating to link stories together from those far off days back to Victorian & Edwardian eras. I will subscribe again to the Newspaper archives and see what can be downloaded from there and uploaded onto the BHF. FYI his death announcement 1936.

The funeral takes place to-day of Mr. Robert Alfred Dry, prior to his retirement in for nearly SO years in the service of the Gas Department of the Birmingham ...
Published: Tuesday 29 December 1936
Newspaper: Birmingham Daily Gazette
County: Warwickshire, England

Am following this story with interest. My great grandfather Robert Alfred Dry started work at Windsor Street in 1872 aged 14 rising to become Chief Coke Salesman and retired in 1930, eventually died in 1936. My grandfather also R.A.DRY worked for the gas department and retired 1950 by when my father was living with his dad in Moseley. I'm interested because my great grandad was involved in a runaway horse/cab incident in Birmingham around 1908 and this story was printed in the Birmingham Gazette so I'll try and find a copy of the article for upload. I'm not saying these incidents are connected but its fascinating to link stories together from those far off days back to Victorian & Edwardian eras. I will subscribe again to the Newspaper archives and see what can be downloaded from there and uploaded onto the BHF. FYI his death announcement 1936.

The funeral takes place to-day of Mr. Robert Alfred Dry, prior to his retirement in for nearly SO years in the service of the Gas Department of the Birmingham ...
Published: Tuesday 29 December 1936
Newspaper: Birmingham Daily Gazette
County: Warwickshire, England
Solihull54 - was your great grandfather the driver of the cab? It could be that my Great Grandfather was the one who saved him.

Solihull54 - was your great grandfather the driver of the cab? It could be that my Great Grandfather was the one who saved him.
Hi, I don't think so my great grandad was a passenger in a cab on new street that was a runaway though nobody was seriously hurt. I'm trying to relocate the mail or gazette article that reported it. My sister thinks it was about 1902. I do know that he was one of the founders of Birmingham Council ambulance classes and the children's society. I've found the article reference to his death and obituary and just need to transfer it from a pdf on the newspaper site to BHF.

This is the story from December 5th 1908 - sounds like it may be too late for your incident. As you can see they refer to October 5th 1908 as the date when it happened. The newspaper referred to Fireman Linimore when it is actually Lissimore.

Runaway Horse .png

Back