• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ford Family Garrison Lane.

If you are certain it is the one in Garrison Lane then I think we can ignore the other one from post 26.
The 1911 one Susan found has the right children.
The 1911 census return taken on 4th April shows them at 10 Medley road, Yardley. I think Yardley was part of Solihull at that point, not Birmingham. I cannot find any existence of Medley Road and it has been crossed out on the form. It could be a transcription error by Ancestry (common) but the address is difficult to decipher. There was a Medley road in Sparkbrook but that isn't it. It states Yardley. It is a five roomed house. The parents have been married for 20 years and had 8 children but two are dead by that point. The family are:

George Henry Ford, aged 44, labourer in brickworks
Mary Jane Ford, 43, solderer making fog signals
George Henry Ford, 20, cycle maker at the BSA works (Birmingham Small Arms factory I think)
Ernest Ford, 18 cycle maker at the James Cycle works
Samuel Ford, 16 cycle maker at the Joyce Cycle works
Alan Ford, 11 at school
Frederick Ford, 6 at school
Annie Ford, 1

None were recorded as having any infirmities and all were said to have been born in England. (Odd, the norm might have been say, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

I think Mary Jane had her work cut out!

Don't forget to fill in your 2021 census return today if you are in the UK Tinpot!

The Yardley probably refers to the parish of Yardley which covered a larger area than the Yardley of today. Places included in it's environs are, amongst others, Acocks Green, Sparkhill and Tyseley.

On familysearch it mentions Greet where Medley Road appears to be today.

Tinpot,

I have sent a message to the researcher of your family 'rtford118' on Ancestry and alerted him to this web site in the hope that he will get in touch. He has, however, not visited his Ancestry account for a long time so I don't want to build your hopes up.

The Yardley probably refers to the parish of Yardley which covered a larger area than the Yardley of today. Places included in it's environs are, amongst others, Acocks Green, Sparkhill and Tyseley.

On familysearch it mentions Greet where Medley Road appears to be today.
Here is the link to Google streetmap view of the 10 Medley road house today. Sadly, much altered but you can get an idea of what it looked like from its neighbours.

The BSA factory was in Armoury road, Small Heath where Tinpot's great grandfather worked. A 15 minute walk from Medley road so MWS has helped us find it.

The house would probably have been very similar to how our 1903 property was when built
Straight through front door into one room. Door into second room. Then stairs either off second room or off a hallway through another door - all doors in a line with front door. Hall leading into a scullery - cooking, washing etc. Outside toilet and coal house. Upstairs were probably 2 bedrooms leading one into the other plus probably a small box room. High ceilings but small cottage style rooms.
Alternative might have been stairs opposite front door but they tended to be wider houses.

Last edited:
The 1911 census return taken on 4th April shows them at 10 Medley road, Yardley. I think Yardley was part of Solihull at that point, not Birmingham. I cannot find any existence of Medley Road and it has been crossed out on the form. It could be a transcription error by Ancestry (common) but the address is difficult to decipher. There was a Medley road in Sparkbrook but that isn't it. It states Yardley. It is a five roomed house. The parents have been married for 20 years and had 8 children but two are dead by that point. The family are:

George Henry Ford, aged 44, labourer in brickworks
Mary Jane Ford, 43, solderer making fog signals
George Henry Ford, 20, cycle maker at the BSA works (Birmingham Small Arms factory I think)
Ernest Ford, 18 cycle maker at the James Cycle works
Samuel Ford, 16 cycle maker at the Joyce Cycle works
Alan Ford, 11 at school
Frederick Ford, 6 at school
Annie Ford, 1

None were recorded as having any infirmities and all were said to have been born in England. (Odd, the norm might have been say, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

I think Mary Jane had her work cut out!

Don't forget to fill in your 2021 census return today if you are in the UK Tinpot!
I think there is a joke about tricycles here! I do have a marriage cert which records GH Ford as a deceased father who worked as a bicycle assembler. He died 3 December 1917 in the Machine Gun Corps. His widow, Emma then seems to have married the younger brother Samuel but I have no actual record of that as yet.

Many thanks for finding this. When younger I had a temporary job at BSA Armoury Rd.

Emma marriage to Samuel registered Aston Sep qtr 1919. Widowed again in 1943?

At 131 Fosbrooke Road in 1939.

Emma marriage to Samuel registered Aston Sep qtr 1919. Widowed again in 1943?

At 131 Fosbrooke Road in 1939.
Yes MWS. I know this house well! I know nothing about Samuel and have no recollection of him. I do not know when he died.

In 1911 Emma Crumpton's occupation is listed as Cycle Press, so possibly met at work.
Very likely MWS. Emma had eight children split between the two brothers George and Samuel. They were . George Henry(111), Margaret, Elsie, Emily, Mary, Samuel, John and James.

When GH Ford joined up his wife Emma's address was recorded as 9 b/o 71 Arthur street, Small Heath, Birmingham. In case you don't have it, this is his war memorial:

PRIVATE GEORGE HENRY FORD​

Service Number: 13905
Regiment & Unit/Ship
Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
19th Coy.
Date of Death
Died 03 December 1917
Buried or commemorated at
CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL
Panel 12 and 13.
France

On his death his personal effects were sent to his widow Emma: £7.2s.2d and her war gratuity £3

Last edited:
Tinpot,

I think that your great grandmother who married George Henry Ford born about 1867 was Mary Jane Geary. Wed on Christmas day 1890. On their marriage lines, he was living in Garrison lane so looks like the right one. His father was stated as Samuel Ford dec. - born 1832 Cheltenham. Samuel's parents were Richard and Elizabeth Ford from the hamlet of Barton, nr. Cheltenham, Glous.

Your grandfather and Emma had a George Henry Ford 4.5.1915 at 8 Mona road, Birmingham and Margaret Lily 4.12.1913, same address.

Hope that helps.

When GH Ford joined up his wife Emma's address was recorded as 9 b/o 71 Arthur street, Small Heath, Birmingham. In case you don't have it, this is his war memorial:

PRIVATE GEORGE HENRY FORD​

Service Number: 13905
Regiment & Unit/Ship
Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
19th Coy.
Date of Death
Died 03 December 1917
Buried or commemorated at
CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL
Panel 12 and 13.
France

On his death his personal effects were sent to his widow Emma: £7.2s.2d and her war gratuity £3
I have visited the Cambrai Memorial where George is commemorated. It's very moving to go. A very isolated place where it's hard to believe there was anything worth fighting over.

There is a photograph on this site of Arthur St that shows a street memorial. I often wonder if he was remembered there as well. I have read that the government at that time became very worried about the number of street memorials that were being established by the people all over the country and that was why they decided to build the Cenotaph to take control of the outpouring of grief.

Tinpot,

I think that your great grandmother who married George Henry Ford born about 1867 was Mary Jane Geary. Wed on Christmas day 1890. On their marriage lines, he was living in Garrison lane so looks like the right one. His father was stated as Samuel Ford dec. - born 1832 Cheltenham. Samuel's parents were Richard and Elizabeth Ford from the hamlet of Barton, nr. Cheltenham, Glous.

First part right I think but Samuel's parents were George Ford & Maria Halling.

Samuel Ford marries Mary Ann Dobbins 1853.

Tinpot,

Your grandfather and Emma had a George Henry Ford 4.5.1915 at 8 Mona road, Birmingham and Margaret Lily 4.12.1913, same address.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Susan. A lot to absorb here for further research. I think GHFord4.5.1915 might be the one you referenced as on an ancestry site in the 1960's. I know of a Monica Rd but not Mona.

First part right I think but Samuel's parents were George Ford & Maria Halling.

Samuel Ford marries Mary Ann Dobbins 1853.
You could well be right MWS. Thank you for pointing it out. I am assuming you are basing it on this census return on Ancestry (pay to view site)-

I based it on this one

I wouldn't like to say for sure which one it is. You pays your money .... :)

Tinpot,

Hope that helps.
The Margaret Lily Ford born 1913 is registered with mmn Crumpton and the dob fits the 1939 reg.

On Samuel's marriage to Mary Ann Dobbins his Father is given as George not Richard.
1616411284225.png

The Margaret Lily Ford born 1913 is registered with mmn Crumpton and the dob fits the 1939 reg.
I have a marriage date for George and Emma as 4/8/13. By 24/5/1917 Emma was at 9 back 71 Arthur st having given birth to Elsie May.

Here is Margaret's baptism.

Mary Jane Geary, Tinpot's g. grandmother, grew up in Garrison Lane.

Tinpot, have you actually found what you were looking for when you posted your first message on this or have we missed something?

Attachments

• M L Ford.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
I have found enough for the time being . Thanks to all of you who have contributed. I have only just started on this search so I need to consolidate everything you have all found for me. Tinpot

Once you have drawn up your tree, if you haven't done so already, you will find out where the gaps are. Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks Susan. I have noticed this fternoon that Emma Crumpton is resident at 4 BK 92 Arthur St on marriage cert 4/8/1913. Then 24/5/1917 the birth of her daughter Elsie May is recorded as 9 BK 71 Arthur St. Tinpot

Addresses on certificates have to be treated with caution, for marriages especially. An address of convenience, allowing a person to married at a particular church, was common. Not sure when that practice ended.

On a side note Emma Crumpton is an interesting trace.

Reinforcing your point MWS I did the same myself. Shallow though it might sound, I wanted to be married at the beautiful, centuries old church near a river which was close by but just outside my parish, rather than in the 1960's box on a busy main road. A colleague's sister lived nearby in the right parish and gave me permission to use her address.

The thing about Emma possibly moving house; I expect that many people in that part of Birmingham at that time, rented. I have noticed with my own ancestors that people often moved about very locally. Maybe people had to move on for a variety of reasons and asked around for something local.

Hopefully, if the 1921 census is published on schedule next year, you will be able to find out if she has moved again by then. Otherwise you would need to go to the expense of ordering the birth certificates of Emily, Mary, Samuel, John and James.

Back