• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cobbled Streets Of Birmingham

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
cobbles kingston row.jpg just as we have photographed our ghost signs thought i maybe a nice idea for our intrepid members to now go cobble hunting before they all disappear...will kick off with these 2...it does not matter how little or how much is showing so happy hunting:)

pic 1 kingston row

pics 2 freeman st which runs alongside the fox and grapes pub..neither of which will be here once HS2 start demolision work of the area

lyn

cobbles freeman street.JPG

Last edited:
“maybe a nice idea for our intrepid members to now go cobble hunting before they all disappear.”

I hope you mean the cobbles!

The previous post - no.6 - was an earlier post by Astoness although it showed the Fox and Grapes when it was still standing.

i would imagine there are lots of cobbled streets still around its just that they have been covered up by new tarmac... on my travels i have seen many including this one in allison st digbeth and some are now coming to light in the newtown area

lyn

The previous post - no.6 - was an earlier post by Astoness although it showed the Fox and Grapes when it was still standing.
Fox & Grapes was still standing when I photographed the cobbles, but fenced off. I'm facing away from the pub.

IMG_1315.jpeg

i would imagine there are lots of cobbled streets still around its just that they have been covered up by new tarmac... on my travels i have seen many including this one in allison st digbeth and some are now coming to light in the newtown area

lyn

Thanks Lyn,
The cobbles might be unearthed by future urban archaeologists then. Up North, some have been put back for the tourists and to keep the speed of the cars down, Heptonstall for one.
Derek

I remember riding my bike UP the BullRing hill in the 1950 Cobbles them very slippery when wet
The Bull Ring in the rain was terrible on a bike, it was almost when you were going to fall not it! And don’t even try on a Saturday in the rain!

Thanks Lyn,
The cobbles might be unearthed by future urban archaeologists then. Up North, some have been put back for the tourists and to keep the speed of the cars down, Heptonstall for one.
Derek
not sure if you have read the fox and grapes thread stokkie but its very interesting..i took photos of it from 2012 including demo day :( however i was lucky enough to be given 2 of its old bricks...link below

Thanks Lyn,
I don't think I've seen this before. I have some sad pictures taken after the fire. Pub was on my walk to work from New Street to Curzon Street.
Derek

I think these in Clement St, not a road, but a pavement, were probably relaid, though the ones in the courtyard may be original, in part at least. By the workshop which was once run by Martin Shaw's ancestor

Last edited:
Richard,
This area is part of HS2, so as the archaeology is now concluded I imagine it has been cleared. I've not been into this part of Birmingham for a while, so I'm not sure if you can see much of where Freeman Street was.
Derek
It would be nice if someone is creating some kind of video montage of the history disturbed by HS2, not as a negative only to preserve Britains passed!

It would be nice if someone is creating some kind of video montage of the history disturbed by HS2, not as a negative only to preserve Britains passed!
The best I can do is this amateur video of part of the site. Made Aug 2022.There's not much history here. There are some unknowns, the fate of Curzon Street station and the Wellington pub. The new structures are yet to be built and much of the site is understandably fenced off.

The best I can do is this amateur video of part of the site. Made Aug 2022.There's not much history here. There are some unknowns, the fate of Curzon Street station and the Wellington pub. The new structures are yet to be built and much of the site is understandably fenced off.
Hope this isn't too much off thread, but it does show the extent of the cleared site. I think cobbles have been removed from Eastside Locks, what was AB row near the Eagle and Ball too.

Fingers crossed that the cost £ vs revenue £ works out well.

Hi,

Back in the 1960's and early 70s I sometimes used the 96 bus which went down Hingeston Street,
and I was struck by the fan shaped patterns which were in some areas of the cobbles which formed
part of the street.
This suggested that at the time when they were laid down the street must have consisted of
high quality houses, so did Hingeston Street predate the housing which was there in the 60s/70's?

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

Back in the 1960's and early 70s I sometimes used the 96 bus which went down Hingeston Street,
and I was struck by the fan shaped patterns which were in some areas of the cobbles which formed
part of the street.
This suggested that at the time when they were laid down the street must have consisted of
high quality houses, so did Hingeston Street predate the housing which was there in the 60s/70's?

Kind regards
Dave
Most likely Dave, I think it also showed the skill levels of the craftsmen that did that work. Creating something that is both exceptionally well done and very durable!

I don't know about Hingeston Street, except it is in the Jewellery Quarter,(no Hockley as Nick kindly pointed out) but I agree with Richard about the skill levels. Many canal tunnels and bridges have the bricks laid diagonally probably for strength and to display the skills of the bricklayers.
Derek

Last edited:
They are certainly original, as I took photos including them before the restoration

Back