• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Central Library 1974 - 2015

I totally agree, Rupert, and we both remember the same old Bull Ring. Even after most of the shops were closed, the place was never dead. There always someone working there, preparing for the next day's trading perhaps, or cleaning the public areas. If, as you say, it rained, there was always somewhere to shelter. In the 1980s I was part of a joint project between Marconi and UMIST in Manchester, and that involved travel to UMIST for a couple of days every two weeks. It always struck me that at nighttime, being bored with sitting on my own in an overheated hotel, there was nowhere to walk in central Manchester's similar jungle of concrete buildings. They were all dead at night time with no lights on. I never felt safe because of the absence of other humans. If it rained I would similarly have nowhere to shelter. I'm sure that this is done deliberately by the so-called designers to make the place as unfriendly as possible.

Maurice

Hi Rupert and Maurice, you've hit the nail on the head for me. I left Birmingham in the early 80s and then, even the highly decorative and more ornate buildings looked neglected through the previous years of manufacturing grime and traffic (and don't forget bird!) pollution. But how surprised I was to see the wonderful structures underneath following later renovations. Places such as the GPO in Victoria Square, Queens College ..... in fact most Victorian buildings ... had a depressing look when covered in filth. I always look back on the 1960s as more 'experimental' i.e. post-war sweeping away the past and trying something totally new, in fact an attempt to look forward, not back on the past. Unfortunately, many of these experiments were in my view unsuccessful, but at least Birmingham had the confidence to give it a try. Personally I prefer to see a good mix of architecture from different periods, but in all that I have my favourites and thankfully there are still good examples there to be appreciated. Viv.

Well it closes its doors today. Another chapter in the Birmingham libraries history. A few links to mull over if so inclined. You can always rely on Prince Charles for an architectural snub. Book incinerator - ironic (or tactless?) given the old library fire of 1879. Viv.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23008062

Well, it's first move was across a road and into an upside down pyramid. (there were a few before that but those were in Dennis's time) Now a move across a few streets and next to a building that celebrates the developer of text fonts...and a friend of Benny Franklin...into a building that...won't start that again. Next move, by extension of scale, will be to Wolverhampton....maybe into Molineux?...celebrating Billy Wright. Gil just flipped his star.

I agreed with Prince Charles observation of the 'old bunker',I wonder what he'll think of this monstrosity,I must phone and find out.

So anyone clear yet about what's planned for the 'old' library (i.e. 1974 - 2013). Will it be demolished? Is it still part of the Paradise Circus re-development? Will it be transformed from this:

unu4ezej.jpg

To this?

eqy9ubyp.jpg

Viv.

Just been looking at pics on post 2 and 3 (page 1), and then looked at the above pics, simply no comparision in my opinion, others may disagree and I respect their view. Eric

Just been looking at pics on post 2 and 3 (page 1), and then looked at the above pics, simply no comparison in my opinion, others may disagree and I respect their view. Eric
No arguments from me Eric but I excuse myself from any blame as I was living in Warwick at the period in which the old one was destroyed.

Time I feel to close this thread as we now have one dedicated to the New Library of Birmingham. Maybe we will need a new one once we know what is planned for the site of the now closed library and a regenerated Chamberlain Square.

Many thanks for the photographs Viv.

Birmingham Central Library was the main public library in Birmingham from 1974 until 2013. John Madin designed it in the brutalist style. For a time it was the largest non-national library in Europe. It closed on 29 June 2013 and was replaced with the Library of Birmingham. The existing building is being demolished as part of the redevelopment of Paradise Circus by Argent Group.

Some views from its construction in 1974 to pre-demolition. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
thanks viv...not seen pic 2 before but as it shows the original library to the left i have saved that one

cheers

lyn

Paradise Forum was closed last week, and pedestrians now have to go via the Fletchers Walk diversion.

Either down the steps from Centenary Way or cross Broad Street, down the ramp, under Easy Row Subway. Then for both walking routes - go through Fletchers Walk.
Is temporary crossing lights opposite the Town Hall. Then continue along Paradise Street towards Victoria Square.

Chamberlain Square is now completely blocked off.

I know - although he posted that in the Library of Birmingham thread. And not one relating to the old Central Library / Paradise redevelopment.

Wonder how Fletchers Walk will cope once the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market returns (they are already setting up the wooden huts this weekend for a 12th November opening).

I expect many people are glad to see this actually happen. An interesting article below on "Failed Architecture". I think it neatly sums up the Library as a "surviving dinosaur of Motor City". It certainly was a product of that age. But cuts to the budget meant projects like this and the planned gardens, bus interchange etc never came to full fruition - the Library was supposed to have been clad in Portland Stone but never was. Although I somehow doubt this would have endeared it any more in the minds of most people. Viv.

https://www.failedarchitecture.com/...entral-library-and-the-battle-over-brutalism/

Last edited:
Thanks for the instructions on how to walk to Broad Street. Came that way today from New Street station as I am spending a couple of days in my home town. Dave

No problem

If you are on Great Charles Street Queensway - think access is only for the restaurants and pubs on Summer Row. But if you follow the signs, you should be able to get to Centenary Square (via the Jewellery Quarter).

One way would be to use the towpaths on the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal.

Just seen this advert for a forthcoming event. Do they know demolition has started? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 24
It was refused listed status years ago. Too late to save it now.

Even demolition on the NatWest Tower at 103 Colmore Row has begun.

So there probably won't be any John Madin buildings left in the city centre.

The radical modernist himself, Madin in front of the energing Central Library. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 32
16th November 2015

Attachments

• 16th November 2015 Monday 0084.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0084.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 16th November 2015 Monday 0085.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0085.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 16th November 2015 Monday 0086.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0086.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 16th November 2015 Monday 0087.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0087.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 19
  • 16th November 2015 Monday 0088.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0088.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 21
​Few more

Attachments

• 16th November 2015 Monday 0089.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0089.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 16th November 2015 Monday 0090.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0090.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 16th November 2015 Monday 0091.jpg
    16th November 2015 Monday 0091.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 18
thanks for those photos dave....sooner the building is down the better and looking at it now and only 40 years since it was built i really fail to see why some wanted it grade listed..am i missing the point or maybe just a bad judge of what are wonderfully designed buildings..this one is most certainly not one of them in my opinion

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lynn
birmingham,s first central libary was the largest in europe at the time it opened
In 1973 with 31 miles of shelving and 1,5OO,OOO BOOKS.
There are currently over 5OO,OOO PEOPLE WHOM ARE MEMBERS OF THE CITY LIBRARIES , AND 221,724 MEMBERS ARE ACTIVELY USEING
There tickets.
Almost 5 MILLION BOOKS ARE ISSUED EACH YEAR At the last count there were2,752,77O TO CHOOSE FROM,.

the current central library what we know of or should i say [ under demolition ] was officialy openend by
the then prime minister harold Wilson in January 1974.
Also ;The Oldest Book in the libary is Catholicon ,by Johannes Balbus;

THE Oldest book printed in england in the central libaray is Cordiale or four last things printed by William caxton;
the heaviest book in the central libaray is INVESTIGATIONS AND STUDIES IN JADE, THE HERBERT R, BISHOP COLLECTIONS 1906
THE TWO VOLUMES WEIGH 125 LB.
BEST WISHES AND THANKS AGAINFOR THE GREAT PIC ; ALAN ASTONIAN;;

Last edited:
I think Ted Heath was still Prime Minister at the time (until the two elections). But this was before my time.

You mean the last central library (that closed in 2013).

This is now on the top floor of the Library of Birmingham

Technically there was two Victorian central libraries (the first one burnt down in a fire).

The equivalent plaques in the Library of Birmingham

THE VERY FIRSTLIBARY MEANING THE ORIGINAL ONE BEHIND THE TOWN HALL AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FOUNTAIN WITH CONGREAVE STREET RUNNING PAST IT AND WHERE THE LADDERS WAS AFIX TO THE SHELVING AND SLIDES AROUND THE SHELVES AND YOU HAD TO CLIMB UP THEM TO GET OF THE BOOKS
MEANING BY 1973 TO 2013 IS THE ONE THEY ARE KNOCKING DOWN THAT MONSTROTSY OF CONCRETE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN A COMPLETE WASTE OF OUR TAX PAYERS MONEY THANK GOD IT GOING I VE YET TO SEE THIS OTHER ONE ; AND THE INFORMATION I HAVE GIVEN WITH SUCH DATES ARE TAKEN FROM THE RECORDS Astonian;

Alan, as Ellbrown correctly states, the very first library was burnt down in 1879 and replaced with the one you recall with its ladders etc etc. I only went into it the once but still remember it well.

THE VERY FIRSTLIBARY MEANING THE ORIGINAL ONE BEHIND THE TOWN HALL AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FOUNTAIN WITH CONGREAVE STREET RUNNING PAST IT AND WHERE THE LADDERS WAS AFIX TO THE SHELVING AND SLIDES AROUND THE SHELVES AND YOU HAD TO CLIMB UP THEM TO GET OF THE BOOKS
MEANING BY 1973 TO 2013 IS THE ONE THEY ARE KNOCKING DOWN THAT MONSTROTSY OF CONCRETE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN A COMPLETE WASTE OF OUR TAX PAYERS MONEY THANK GOD IT GOING I VE YET TO SEE THIS OTHER ONE ; AND THE INFORMATION I HAVE GIVEN WITH SUCH DATES ARE TAKEN FROM THE RECORDS Astonian;

Brimingham_Central_Library_fire_jan1879.jpg Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

Interesting hiw many 'Central' libraries Birmingham has had. Gets confusing, but it must be the city with the most rebuilt central libraries. Viv.

Back