• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

prince of wales inn loxton street

josietrue

gone but not forgotten
help i am trying to find a photo of the prince of wales inn loxton street the address that is
on my great grandfathers death certifacate 1907 i was told he owned the inn but on his death cert he was a fender polisher
he was married with children so could he have owned it while some one else ran it im confused
josie

What was his name

help i am trying to find a photo of the prince of wales inn loxton street the address that is
on my great grandfathers death certifacate 1907 i was told he owned the inn but on his death cert he was a fender polisher
he was married with children so could he have owned it while some one else ran it im confused
josie

hi horsecart
his name was william concanen ( concannen ) age 39 his wifes name caroline he is also a pubilcan in 1901 at 182 ashend would this be in the some area gratful for any help

hi horsecart his name is william concanen wifes name caroline he is also a pubilcan on the 1901 cenus at 182 ashend row would this be in the same area gratful for any help
josie

In the 1901 directory there is a
Concannon William Beer Retailer, 153 Schollfield Street

in the 1906 directory there is a
Concanon John caretaker 9 & 10 Holborn Chanbers Broad St Corner

in the 1909 direcetory there are
Concanen Caroline (Mrs) beer retailer 20 Loxton St
and as above the caretaker

those are the only ones I can find

hi horsecart
his name was william concanen ( concannen ) age 39 his wifes name caroline he is also a pubilcan in 1901 at 182 ashend would this be in the some area gratful for any help

Josie

If it is in the same area I think you would be talking about 182 Ashted Row and not Ashend Row. In 1903 this was a grocers shop on or near the corner of Windsor Street and Ashted Row.

the 1903 directory tells us
182 Ashted Row Jackson Edward Grocer

Josie

If it is in the same area I think you would be talking about 182 Ashted Row and not Ashend Row. In 1903 this was a grocers shop on or near the corner of Windsor Street and Ashted Row.

There appears to be some mixup. below is ht eentry in the 1901 census for 182 Ashtead Row. this is not william concannon

ScreenHunter_12_Apr__12_17_24.jpg

josie

Hi Josie - I know this is an older post, but I just found this site. Anyway - one of my relatives (great-grandmother's sister) is listed as "public house manageress", living at the Prince of Wales on 178 Gt. Francis St. (public house) in the 1901 census --- Gt. Francis was right next to Loxton St. so I think it is probably the same Prince of Wales. In fact, on her children's baptisms in the 1890s, the residence of her and her husband (Thomas Vann) is given as the Prince of Wales, Loxton St., so I'm pretty sure its the right Prince of Wales. However - I don't know anything about a Concannon? She had been married twice (to Horton and then to Vann), but both had died by 1901 and she was living as Emma Vann with her kids at the Prince of Wales in 1901. I looked on that page of the census but do not see a Concannon mentioned.... But its interesting that it was listed as the residence in 1907 for your g-grandfather when Emma was living there in 1901???? best, embee

hi embee
my great grandfather died in 1907 the address given on his death cert is the prince of wales inn loxton street i dont realy know if he was there in 1901 but was a publican at a few pubs in and around that area at the time
josie

If somebody has access to B'ham directories from 1901-1908 -- Is there an Emma Vann listed at the Prince of Wales beer house on Loxton St./Gt. Francis St.? Earlier on this thread, Caroline Concanen was listed at the Prince of Wales, 20 Loxton St. in 1909 and Emma Van was listed there in the 1901 census and I'm trying to figure out when it switched hands....Thanks a lot, embee

1900 and 1905 Kelly's list Mrs Emma Vann at 20 Loxton Street as a beer retailer. I can't find her in the 1908 directory. By 1913 she was listed in Highgate Road Sparkbrook. That is all I can access online.
Have now traced 1908 and it lists Caroline Concanen at 20 Loxton Street although it does not list the Prince of wales.

Janice

Last edited:
hi embee
just looked at my bmd certs and my great grandfather was living at 2 back of 9 loxton street when his youngest son was born
so i think it would be between 1904 and 1907 when he died he was there
josie

1900 and 1905 Kelly's list Mrs Emma Vann at 20 Loxton Street as a beer retailer. I can't find her in the 1908 directory. By 1913 she was listed in Highgate Road Sparkbrook. That is all I can access online.
Have now traced 1908 and it lists Caroline Concanen at 20 Loxton Street although it does not list the Prince of wales.

Janice

Thanks so much!! It seems like the directory always put the Prince of Wales at 20 Loxston St or at least those who ran the Prince of Wales at that address. In any case, it matches Josie's info that her great-grandfather was probably at that address in 1909, and the 1911 census for Emma Vann has her on Highgate Road as well. Really appreciate the quick response Janice. Also - I don't know where access to these directories to is online?? best, embee

The 1903 edition of Kelly's had Mrs Emma Vann listed as a beer retailer at 20 Loxton Street.

embee
like you i dont know how to access the directories on line i rely on all the help of the forum members
who have given me a lot of help with maps and information
josie

Hi Josie - Well from the directory info, it looks like maybe Emma Vann left after 1905, which would put your great-grandfather there in 1906 -- so that would be the correct address for his death in 1907. Looks like it works. I gather you never got a pic of the Prince of Wales beer house though, right? I found a few references to it in folks who went bankrupt in the 1860's but not much else. Would like to know more but it's not listed on any of the B'ham old pub sites that I've found. And - yes, I don't know where people get access to the Kelly's directory but it sure is useful in figuring things out!! best, embee

thank you mikejee and pjmburns
for the link to directories they will be of great help thank you both
josie

Back