• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jenney's/ woolley's/shelley's of aston & nechells

The Baron

master brummie
All the above surnames have links to my family tree, If any one can help in any way be it marrages, births, deaths, places of residences or work? to do with any of the above names, please let me know at this topic.
I do know that my gggfather came to Birmingham in the 1800s and set up shop as a tailor in DALE END I think he came from LOUTH in Lincolnshire. His wife was Elizaberth.
Thanks to who ever can help.
ASTON

Re: THE JENNEY'S/ WOOLLEY'S/SHELLEY'S OF ASTON & NECHELLS

Aston: when I lived in Cheltenham there was a family of Wooleys who lived there but I didn't know

their names. They lived in Barbridge Road. Maybe you could look up an electoral roll?

THANKS,ROWAN I HAVE BEEN DOWN THAT ROAD NO CONNECTIONS WITH BARBRIDGE ROAD .
I NOTE ON SOME OF THE DOCUMENTS I HAVE WOOLLEY IS SPELT ALSO AS WOOLEY THIS IS GIVING ME A HEADACHE.THANKS ANY WAY.EVER LITTLE HELPS.
ASTON

Aston, there were Wooley's in Witton, at the Erdington border, they were there in the 50's. They had two sons, Stephen was the eldest , and a daughter Kim,who was born in the 60's. I think Mrs Wooley had Gloucestershire connections, but Mr Wooley I'm pretty sure was from Brum. The last I heard of Stephen was as a Baptist minister in Gloucester.

Aston,
There was a family of Woolleys who lived on Wright Road Washwoodheath. The number was around 200 and something. This was around the 50s and 60s. It was a father and son and a grandmother as I recall. The mother was no longer living with them. I think that grandmothers daughter married a Perkins and their son David was a great friend of mine. A mentor so to speak. Have not spoken to him in 30 years if this comes to something let me know. David worked as a patern maker at Robinson and Knee off Great Leister street somewhere. Near Cromwells old haunts.
Regards.

Aston, there was a family of Wooleys living in the Stockland Green area. I only knew David Woolley vaguely. He was a bit older than myself and more my eldest brother's age...so he would be about 67 if he's still around. He went to my church in Somerset Road,Erdington.
That's all I know about the family. I am not sure which street he lived but it would have been close to Witton Lakes Park.

Aston, we also had long time neighbours, Mr. and Mrs. John Shelley. They lived in Hidson Road close to Stockland Green for several decades. John Shelley lived well into his 90's and died eight or nine years ago. They had no children. I can't remember his wife's name.

Aston
142 Woolleys Died in the Great War, 10 from Birmingham, Aston
Frank, Fredrick William, Henry, Herbert, John Henry, John Samuel, Thomas Edward, William, William Ernest, and William Henry
I will let you have details on any chap you want

From  The Birmingham Rolls of Honour
WOOLLEY, C. W., Private, King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
He volunteered in September 1914, and in the same month proceeded to the Western Front, where he took part in engagements at Hill 60, Loos, and Vimy Ridge, and was wounded. He gave his life for King and Country in November 1916, and was entitled to the 1914 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
5, Wills Street, Smethwick. Birmingham.

WOOLLEY, D., Private, South Staffordshire Regt and Fitter, R.F.A.
He volunteered in September 1914, and in the following November was drafted to France, where he was in action on the Somme, and was wounded. He was invalided to hospital at Rouen, and afterwards to England, and on his recovery was transferred to the R.F.A. with which he served on important duties at various stations until his demobilisation in March 1919. He holds the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service
and Victory Medals.
17 Back of 7, Longbridge Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

WOOLLEY, E. A., Pte., Royal Berkshire Regt.
He joined in September 1918, and after having completed his training was drafted to Salonika. Here he was engaged on important duties until his return to England. He holds the General Service and Victory Medals, and was demobilised in February 1920.
36, Fowell Street, Birmingham.

WOOLLEY, G., Private, Worcester Regiment. He joined in June 1916, and was drafted to France in the following October. He was in action on the Somme, and at Arras, Lens, and Ypres, and also served in the Retreat of 1918 and was gassed. Returning to England in August 1919, he was demobilised holding the General Service and Victory Medals. 10/104, Arthur Street, Small Heath, Birmingham

WOOLLEY, H., Private, Worcestershire Regiment.
He was serving at the outbreak of war, and in March 1915 was drafted to the Western Front, where he served at Neuve Chapelle, Hill 60, Ypres, and Festubert, and was gassed and wounded at Loos. He was invalided home, and in January 1916, was discharged as medically unfit, and holds the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service andVictoryMedals.
2 Court, 6 House, Vaughton Street, Hlghgate, Birmingham.

WOOLLEY, J., Leading Seaman, R.N., H.M.S." Ingerdyne."
He was called up from the Reserve on the outbreak of war, and was posted for duty with the Grand Fleet in the North Sea. He took part in several engagements and sustaining severe shell-shock was invalided to hospital, and in November 1916 was discharged as medically unfit for further service. He holds the 1914 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
28, Norwood Road, Bordesley Green, Birmingham.

WOOLLEY, J. W., Pte., Royal Warwickshire Regt.
Re joined in March 1917, and after having completed his training was engaged on important duties with his unit at various stations. He rendered valuable services, but owing to being medically unfit for duty abroad, was unable to procure his transfer to a theatre of war. He was discharged in March 1918,
28, Norwood Road, Bordesley Green, Birmingham

Thank you ALL very much that will give me much to get my teeth into over the winter months! ::)
ASTON

Hi Aston, I have found a Polly Shelly, age 16, born Paisley, Scotland, on the 1891 census living at 4 court house 20 Newtown Row, head of family was Richard Allport occ. street seller age 29, Polly was a servant, I have a g.g.uncle David Birch living there too, he was a brother in law. I don't know what Richard Allport sold, but he employed two servants.

Hello, This is my first attempt at a reply so hope it works:

I am a WOOLLEY and have recently started my family tree. The family moved to Birmingham from Birkenhead about 1914 and lived in Bellbarn Road.

Jane

Hi Jane, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, I have sent you a PM.
Good luck with you family tree.

Hi Jenny
Just found this site. My surname is Woolley. As far as I know associated with Birmingham for many years. My Neice Emma has carried out a lot of research on the family tree which may be of interest to you. Please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Tony Woolley

Hi Aston
Just found this site. My surname is Woolley. My part of the family have been in Birmingham for a long time. My neice has done a lot of research on our family tree which I am sure she would want to share with you. Please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Tony Woolley

hi barron
just been glancing at your thread -now this may have been already done
by our experts but have they or anybody ran a check on the rolls in and around dale end for listed tailors of any of corresponding names
i was casting my mind back to dale end as i recall it and to my mind
i recall a tailor vitualy on the corner to albert street next to the behive
it was a couple of doors from there it looked a very old tailor shop
it was an actual tailor shop [ name i cannot remember ] but
when this shop closed down in around 1950 it remained closed for a very long time with loch stock and barrell and eventualy some-body decided to reopen it as a tailor again only with slightly more modern if you like
and eventualy this one closed down for afew years it layed empty
and as time marched on it openend up as as highly fashion mens clothes shop
and i think it was called nelsons shop and then they openend another shop under the sub way this was owned and set up by a jewish guy whom was involved with the council and later became a lord mayor of birmingham for a while
whom i did meet on a couple of occasions through personel friends
but what i am thinking cross check the names for around that period for tailors on dale end its the only shop i can think of being a tailor
best of luck astonian ;;

Hi Tony,

It would be really good if Emma's tree had some of my family on it. I am not sure whether we need to email each other directly rather than on the thread. If so I hope you know how to do that because I am hopeless on these type of sites.

Janesm

Hi i am not sure how far back your wanting to go but i am a wood-woolley and my family originate from aston,ettingshall,staffordshire,warwickshire or as it was in the 1700/1800's Birmingham with districts....In the mid 1800's my family was known as woolley more than wood-woolley as their name kept getting changed around.....so i have lots of records for different people

I have John Woolley c1801 who was a tailor married to Elizabeth also 1801 with an Alfred born 1838 living at no 58 Hill st....listed as Birmingham

I have another John woolley listed 1840 in Notts he was a lace maker his wife was Elizabeth......they had children Samuel,Edward,John,William,Joseph,Elizabeth and they lived at 52 Liddington St,Basford,Town end.......
samuel and edward moved to the USA in 1890

I have numerous others if you have any more details that will narrow it down.....

good luck

amanda

I have a Victor Albert Woolley born Aston 1898 he married Gladys Baker in Tamworth in 1924. My connection is Gladys she was the daughter of my grandfather's sister. Sorry I don't have much info on the Woolley family. I do have a photo of Victor sent to me by his gt grandson.

Hi wendy.....

seems we have a pickle all my records show Victor George wood-woolley or woolley(1898 aston) married to gladys mary Baker who was born 1901......this tree is becoming a right pain hahaha everything is conflicting due to the name changes.....

thank you

Hi,

My maiden name was Shelley. My grandparents, Ernest & Beatrice Shelley lived in Stockland Green and then in Witton. My great grandparents, John & Bertha Shelley lived in Witton on Moor Lane and in Stockland Green. I can give you more information of you think they are related to your Shelleys.

When I lived in Sutton where I grew up there was a Shelley family next door.

When I lived in Sutton where I grew up there was a Shelley family next door.

Where abouts in Sutton was that Wendy? I grew up in Sutton and my maiden name was Shelley

I had some of my shelleys living in jockey road at one time?

These are my ASTON Shelley's This showa Thomas Shelley & all his Family My Nan & Aunt (the babe in arms at the back right)

They lived at no 154 Blackberry Lane they had two daughters one was a little younger than me also named Wendy.

My Mom's Aunts daoghter was names DORIS SHELLEY married name BONNYFACE.

I don't know if this is of interest but on ebay there is a collection of St johns Ambulance and BIRMINGHAM Gas Department medals and badges some of which have been awarded to an EDWARD WOOLLEY.
Dates mentioned range from 1926 to 1957.
item number 310212918962 ends April 18th.

polly :)

Hi Tony i am also connected to the Woolley's from Bham,staffs,warks areas maybe we are connected.I have loads of info regarding my family tree....

Regards Amanda Wood-Woolley

Hi, Do you have a THOMAS ALBERT WOOLLEY in any of your tree?

HI,I have a Thomas Albert and a Albert Thomas do you have any more details?

Regards Amanda

Back