• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Young john

laraine

master brummie
Hi would anyone be able to help me find the death details for John Young please. I had a phonecall from Yardley Cemetary last week confirming that he was buried there on 31 January 1946 age 72 years. Ive trawled through Ancestry searching but there are no deaths in 1946 with the same age. Does anybody have any other ideas ?
Thanks
Laraine

hi laraine ive had a quick look and i cant seem to find a death ref for john young either..i take it that he did die in birmingham??..would you know if he had a middle name or not...

lyn

Hi laraine, there was a John Young aged 72 registered in Bromley in the March quarter of 1946, Volume 2a Page 1234. Could it be that he died in Bromley and was brought back to Birmingham for his burial perhaps ?

morning lindy thats what i was thinking...i think he may have died out of birmingham...the bromley one does fit date registered wise and the age is right..

lyn

Ring Bromly Register office and ask the question - they cannot give you information outright, but if you ask 'was he a retired carpenter?' (or whatever) or offer his wife's name, they are allowed to give you that information. They are only allowed to say 'yes' or 'no'. Worth trying I would think, I have done it several times and always been happy.

Hi thanks all for your replies, the fact is, no one in the family knows anything about him, just that he was living with my gt grandmother Alice Bick in Yardley for about 12-15 years, Lower Darwin St Deritend before that. She is in fact buried with him having died 24 years later in 1970. All i know is what the person at Yardley cemetary told me so he must of been around 14 years older than my gt gran who was born in 1888, he could of been married before, we dont know the reasons for them not marrying but apparently they were together 20 years, theres no one left in the family now old enough to remember him. Whether the Bromley John Young is the right one i don't know, isn't that in Kent ? My gt gran took too many secrets to her grave, that we do know !

Laraine, could this be the one, he is a little older than I think you are looking at, but is a possibility

Name:YOUNG, John W
Registration district: [?]Birmingham
County:Warwickshire
Year of registration:1946
Quarter of registration:Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death:80
Volume no:6D
Page no:682

From FMP site

Sue

Sue thanks for sending me those death details, there is a good possibility about this one, ive just been checking out information on this John W Young on Ancestry, he was married to Emily with children & living in the parish of Yardley on the census i looked at, so whether that is just a coincidence or not, i was trying to find the death of Emily to see if it was before he was living with my gt gran....if it is him, but im not sure which one it could be.
Thanks
Laraine

Laraine, there are 2 possible Emily Young deaths on Ancestry, one born 1870, died 1936, registered in Worcestershire (Yardley was in Worcs, but not sure until when) or Emily Young B 1876, died 1931 in Birmingham South, which Yardley was included in later, so you would need to see when Yardley was classed as B'ham not Worcs, but at least 2 to go on!
Sue

Hi Laraine,
I've been doing a bit of searching this morning and have come up with a few things which may or may not help.
I have worked on the thought that your Gt Grandmothers maiden name was Twittey /Twitty....

1911 census. 12 Oak Place, Sandy Lane
Alfred Bick (b.1886) Head, Single.
Miss Gertrude Twitty, Visiter, Single,

1912, Aston. Alice B Twittey married Alfred Bick
Births, Bick, .....mothers maiden name Twittey/Twitty
1913 Alfred H
1923 Regina
1926 Annie A

Electoral Rolls
1927. Alice Beatrice Bick, 2back of 6 Lower Darwin Street
1930. Alice Beatrice Bick, John Young, 2 back of 6 Lower Darwin Street
1935. Alice Beatrice Bick, Alfred H Bick, John Young, 2 Back of 6 Lower Darwin Street
1939. Alice Beatrice Bick, John Young, 148 Homelea Road
1948. Alice Bick, Regina Bick, 148 Homelea Road
1950. Alice B Bick, Ronald Bates, Annie A Bates. 148 Homelea Road
1955. Alice B Bick, Roanld Bates, Annie A Bates. 148 Homelea Road

Thanks again Sue & Lindyloo for your replies & for finding out all this information for me, im not sure what to think now about John W & whether he is the John Young im looking for as by looking at the electoral rolls in 1930 he is living with Alice Bick but if he was married to an Emily previously she died in 1931 or 1936. Perhaps the only way to solve this would be to send for the death certificate of John W Young & see if my gt gran was a witness or present at the death ?
Best wishes
Laraine

Back