• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whitmore Elizabeth

Brummiebell

master brummie
Looking for any information on Elizabeth B. approx 1826 and married John Tonks in 1851. Her daughter Sarah was my G. Grandmother. Unable to find any links to her parents and have discovered that her husbands mother also had maiden name of Whitmore so wonder if there is a family mystery somewhere in there, perhaps they were second cousins or similar. When I can next afford am going to get copy of marrage cert to see if parents names are on it, but not for a few weeks yet and just wondering if she links into anyone else's family tree. unable to find her with family prior to mariage to John in 1841 census, and John's Mother Sarah Whitmore b.1801 relatives are also a bit of a mystery, just have a father William and mother Sarah Quinton both b.1775. Seems a bit unusual that John married a girl with the same maiden name as his mother. They also gave their daughter Whitmore as her second name even though she was legitamate, so it must have been important to carry the name on. Would love to find out more, can anyone help please.

Re: Elizabeth Whitmore

i notice that the marriage of john tonks to elizabeth whitmore took place at aston juxta on 10 nov 1851 yet in the 1851 census they already have a child and say they are married.

there is a elizabeth whitmore in 1841 living upper windsor street, aston aged 15yrs and working as a servant (living with moore family). unfortunately of course it doesnt give any clue as to her parents.

there are a few people who have the same tree on ancestry but none of them have found the parents so you may need that marr. cert. it will say her fathers name and occupation so well worth having

also in upper windsor st. in 1841

thomas whitmore 45 (carpenter), hannah whitmore 42, jane 16, louisa 12, ann 11, john 6, edward 3, charles 5weeks.

all except edward and charles were not born in county though.

as elizabeth whitmore was supposedly born bham maybe this isnt the parents but could be extended family.

in upper tower st. in 1841 there is a william whitmore 50 carpenter, wife mary whitmore 40 and son william whitmore , also a carpenter. again none of them born in county.
sorry none of this really helps at the moment but when you get the marriage cert it may be of use then.

Hi Shera, I think the first child Emma Jane may have been born out of wedlock so to speak so this may well have been them, later records show John is a Railway Guard but he may have been working up to this as a labourer. Your entries for the Whitmore family look very interesting, from what I gather of the family history it's possible that the elder daughters had to leave home and enter service in a house nearby, once younger ones arrived. This happened with Sarah, Elizabeth's daughter who was a servant at 13, I think a lot of the many houses they lived in were just so small. I am just guessing that Elizabeth was from Birmingham however she could well have been born in different area entirley, these could well be the correct family for her. What county this this Elizabeth listed in please Shera.

Maybee Thomas and William were brothers both being in the same area in the same trade, how I wish there were an 1831 census so that i could see if one of them was her family, and how I need that mariage cert.

in 1841 they did not list counties of birth. just born in county (i.e. warwickshire) or not born in county. the elizabeth whitmore working as a servant aged 15 is listed as born in county. then in 1851 with husband john tonks, again she recorded as born birmingham. these are not always reliable but unfortunately thats all you have to go on at the moment.

Back