• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the vine inn villa st hockley

all will shortly be explained in full....but may i be the first to announce ...that .. I am related , by marriage to the best friend of Lyn...via the Moorhouse clan!!!:)but it's complicated!!!

:D:D and whats more earlier on hanna kindly emailed me those photos she said had of villa street but guess what..??? i had them in my house a few weeks before(including the vine pub pic) they came to me via my connection with the moorhouse clan...thought we were going barmy:rolleyes: mind you hanna still thinks she may be able to get some more pics so i am ever hopefull...

cheers hanna..its good to meet you....

lyn

o boy here we go again...lol..hanna the villa tavern was at 147 villa street...so not far from your olive moorhouse who was at 113..chances are if they were drinking folk they would have gone in there....it was demolished in the early 60s....i really cant beleive that after so long after first posting about villa street and the vine and not much happening this last few weeks its really come to life...brillient...

lyn:)

another Moorhouse link????...Ivy and Arthur HADDLETON who also lived on Villa Street...Ivy was the sister of Alan and Olive and the other Moorhouses...according to my husband there were alot of them!!!

hanna go to post num 50...ynots gran ran the vine inn and he also remembers the hadletons...this just gets better and better...

lyn..

I read that post earlier on but didn't make the connection as at that point I didn't know that Arthur and Ivy lived in Villa Steet...it was a passing comment from my husband ,as I once more dragged him to the computor away from his paper!!!.. Now wouldn't it be lovely if somebodyreading this knew Morralls and made the connection...a bit like your Vine Inn excitement!!

Astoness it wasthe mortons who lived at 113 villa street not the moorhouses (they were related) olive moorhouse used to work at the vine by the way do u remember hunts grocers shop sorry didnt reply beforebeen away tospain
cheers ynot

hi ynot..hope you had a good time...:) thanks for that info..its hanna who is related to the moorhouses so i am sure she will be interested...there was a little shop just before the vine and of course a little drapers shop a few doors after the cafe on the corner but the one i remember the most was at num 112 3 doors down from me..it laid back off the road as did the house next to it..a lovely irish lady named mary ann lived there although she was always telling us off for climbing onto to airaid shelter that backed onto her back garden:rolleyes:..the name hunts rings a bell but it was the wiltons i recall running this shop...dot and mal and they had a daughter linda and a son...i used to be mates with linda and occasionally work a few hours in the shop for a few quid....happy days...:)

just a quickie...olive moorhouse says she didn't work at the VINE!!!:(..says her mother before her did but i think, that must have been 1940 or before cos Oloive is now 84!!!...she remembers a lot of family names around that time...but I've forgotten them!!:rolleyes:... I'll write them down and post them on here!!!

Re: 198 Villa Street.

Hiya Lin. I forgot to tell you. I enlisted the help of a Genealogist back in 2005, in the search for a picture of the house I lived in, behind that Garage. I found an old Map some time ago in the Central Library, and on it the house was called, Grove House. Gordon, the Genealogist. Accessed the Website, A2A (Access to Archives) and came up with documents held at the Central Library that he'd previously found.

There were no "hits" for Grove house, and 7 for Villa street, mostly relating to deeds of the properties in that street which was laid out in 1843. He was looking at the map I gave him of the area and he thinks that Grove house pre-dated other properties and that they were in effect, built around Grove house and other existing buildings, even the big Villa which is still standing next door. I wonder if Mikejee could find us something on his maps.? Reg, Cookie55.

The 1851 Census entries suggest that Grove house and properties nearby were middle class residences. Two families, infact, inhabit Grove house, Which in itself indicates that it must have been a fair size.

I know it was! because we lived there, for 7 years. Reg.

Hanna it must be your mother inlaw that worked for my gran at thevine inn minnie jones my name is tony southall had abrother named terry.
Welived there from1940 to1953
went to school with johnny moorhose .billy morton bob?harris
bob houghton anyhelp????
Yont:d

Hijohn
which schools did i goto blimey alot were bombed but here wego brougham st.anglesey st.gowerst.alma st back to gower st franciesconvent inhunters road iused to knock around with robert houghton is dad was adust man he made me asmashing bykeup it was great.helived at 125 villa street n/d to thevine
his momwas always feeding me any relation?????
Ynot:d

My parents were the licensees in 1970, Colin and Mary cotrell, thanks for posting the picture, bought back a lot of memories.

My parents were the licensees in 1970, Colin and Mary cotrell, thanks for posting the picture, bought back a lot of memories.

hi janeey there are no pics of the vine inn villa st on this thread so just wondering if you have seen it on the other thread i started???

i was living in villa street until 72 so your parents would have served our dad many times...do you have any photos of the vine or of the street as i am always on the lookout for new ones...

lyn

Last edited:
hi janeey there are no pics of the vine inn villa st on this thread so just wondering if you have seen it on the other thread i started???

i was living in villa street until 72 so your parents would have served our dad many times...do you have any photos of the vine or of the street as i am always on the lookout for new ones...

lyn
Hi Lyn, I just came across this thread and think that it must now be obsolete. I feel certain that you would have eventually got that photo of The Vine pub you wanted. I have an interest because some time ago I posted that my Aunt Betty Middleham ran a pub in Villa St around 1960s but. wasn't sure which one of two pubs it was. Having just read that the Villa Tavern ceased trading in 1960 I feel sure now it was The Vine.

hi bango yes i did find a photo of the vine...the only one to date but i posted it on another thread...if you are certain that the villa tavern ceased trading in 1960 then yes it could well have been the vine your aunty ran but it could also have been the crown on the corner of villa st and nursery road...there was also the white swan on the corner of farm st and villa st...if kieron our pub expert sees this post i am sure he will check out your aunts name and maybe pin point the pub she ran...

lyn

Back