• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oliver Annie

M

moutarde

My ggreat aunt Annie Oliver born 1857, Birmingham area, to Martha and Joseph W Oliver, brother Hedley born c1863 also Birmingham area. Need to know who Annie married and where and when she died. Married name may be either Barker or Mather I can't see witness signature on brother Hedley's marriage certificate clearly. Can any one help me with this?

Thanks

Re: Annie Oliver

i believe she married william henry barker in jul to sept 1877 in west brom

6b 972 chris

Thanks John and Christine for the Barker connection. I am not 100% that her name reads as Barker. The other possible surname could be Mather.
So if anyone can help me with my Annie Oliver married to a Mather it would be very appreciated. The marriage would pre-date August 30, 1887.

Thanks

Apropos of nothing in particular: 'Oliver' is a Northumbrian name, as is 'Hedley'.....you have Northern ancestors?

Thx JohnO for posting. YES!! I do have family from the Northumbrian part of the country, in fact Annie's father, Joseph William Oliver, was from Newcastle. Do you know anything about these people that you care to share? Wendy

Hi, it was just a lucky guess. There are lots of Olivers in Northumberland, Newcastle and County Durham; but the addition of 'Hedley' makes it more likely restricted to Northumberland and possibly Newcastle. The Olivers are a 'Border Reiver' family....they are also to be found in some of the Scottish border towns too...but NOT with 'Hedley' attached. 'Hedley' is pure Northumbrian. They are an ancient family; more of a 'clan' even.

My own family have distant 'Oliver' relatives; and a good friend of mine is an 'Oliver' from Scots Gap, in mid-Northumberland.

I would suspect that your family originated from somewhere relatively close to Scots Gap - within 20 miles either way.

Back