• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Four heros turfed of a train at East Midlands Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
I just can not believe what I saw in tonights Derby Evening Telegraph, four of our soldiers on the way back
from Afghamistan had landed at EMA when their flight was diverted from Brize Norton. They have built a
rail station called EM Parkway near the airport, so that people can catch the London train, Because their MOD
warrents were made out to Oxford the "Jobsworth" inspector would not let them on the train, and threadened
to call the police!!! A good hearted passanger payed the £150 fare for the four squardies.
East Midland Trains have apologsed, and reimbursed the Gentleman, I say again the Gentleman who paid
their fare, I would like to meet him and shake his hand.It just beggers belief that anyone could could be so
bloody stupid, Im lost for words,EMA by the way is EAST MIDLANDs AIRPORT, sorry, Bernard

Bernard thanks for posting this ..I cannot believe that these lads were treated like this it is an absolute disgrace..

I'd be kicked off this site if I said What I really want to say. It could only happen in this country:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

How about if the ticket collector had done what you all would have liked him to do, and then got the sack for it. He may have a wife, kids and a mortgage. I feel the same about this as you all do but you must always remember that we have allowed COMMON SENSE to be buried.

Trev I see where ya coming from but have to say.... I have never disagreed with ya on here but i don't care if he had two wives and 14 kids ,,that aint no way to treat our lads ..sorry mate

Last edited:
Froth sorry to say but it aint no good us all moaning ..we allow this to happen ..aint having a go at yer but all the shouting in the world aint gonna make it better ..admin please feel free to remove

Last edited:
Maggie, I did say I feel the same as everyone else about this but, WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF ALLOWING COMMON SENSE TO BE BURIED. If this man had allowed the four to travel, and got the sack for it, we may never have heard about it.

Stitch i see where your coming from but this should never have happened

Last edited:
On the face of it I have to agree common sense should have prevailed in this incident however I would have to agree with the inspector in this case I dont think it was a case of "jobsworth " first why was the plane diverted from Brize Norton was it a commercial plane ? if so surely arrangements would have been made to ferry passengers to the original destination as a courtesy ? or if it was a military plane or transport I would think the same thing would apply ? did the squaddies make every effort to check things out before they tried to board a train with the hopes no one would notice ? i would want to know more than just the bare out of context facts of this case before judging the rights and wrongs..... the railways are subject to rules and regulations and bye laws as are our troops even when on active service

In the 1950s there were lots of young bloke's travelling in uniform,and what I remember was the overwhelming kindness of people:)....but then there were railway inspectors...no change there then.:(

Oh dear! I seem to have stirred something up with this report, I must say I surprised at some of the negative
comments, we must agree our lads are doing a wonderful job in that Godforsaken country the very least we
can do is give them our support when they on on leave. I knew that we would get many different opinons
as we always do on this forum but I would have though a MOD travel warrent was good enough
even if the departure station was wrong, but its it is water under the bridge now, but I like to think that one
or two of us, had we been on that train would have paid the lads fare, I certainly would have, someone said
back in the 1950s people were much kinder than nowadays I would agree having served myself at that time
Sorry if I upset anyone, cheers Bernard

Bernard a MOD warrant should be good enough for anybody but like all things Is have to be dotted and Ts have to be crossed but like you I would hope that for the sake of all our lads problems like this would not arise if some people used common sense

I dont think you upset anyone Bernard certainly not me. In corporate speak we are all singing from the same song sheet but in different keys. In fact the good old British trait of speaking up for the underdog ( the inspector ) and giving a chance for a fair hearing reared its head.
All the inspector had to do was take details of the men and their warrants and report it.It was probably too much like hard work.If the Police had been called you cannot mind what they would have done. Lack of commonsense and the squeal" I have to follow the rules" is far to prevalent. I blame Blakey , On The Buses, myself. Passengers on any form of transport are viewed as problems that keep blocking up the system.

Froth sorry to say but it aint no good us all moaning ..we allow this to happen ..aint having a go at yer but all the shouting in the world aint gonna make it better ..admin please feel free to remove

The more I read your post Maggie the more I don't understand it.
Are you saying don't moan? don't shout? it's not going to get better? you surprise me. What other ammunition have we got!
Still love yer Maggie. I'll say no more on here.

I know we all have our opinions on this subject but it is becoming a little bit too heated.
Lets hope that the transport companies will now put guidelines in place to prevent this happening again.
This thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back