• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

blakenhale school

I lived in garretts green and although i remember the dances I never went but attended the school between around 1957 to 1959.

Yes,remember it well,used to go "boppin" at the "Blake" most Fridays and Sundays,in the late 50's..Blake.jpg

Ahh, those were the days. I never missed a Saturday night there during 1955/57. Always had to walk back home to the Yew Tree, certainly wouldn't do that at midnight these days, just not safe anymore.

I know what you mean about walking home. I used to walk from the Mackadown after catching the 14 night service. Quite a walk to near Sheldon Heath rd but never a problem.

This thread is literally close to home, in the 50's I lived just a couple of doors away from Blakenhale school right near to the hall where they held the dances. Especially in the summer months when the windows would be open we would "enjoy" the music from start to finish! Sheldontony I always favoured the 58 night service to the Good Companions and then walking down Ollerton Rd.

Devonjim, done that walk many times too. I lived about halfway between Mackadown and the Goodies but it depended who I was with I had a good friend lived in Belchers Lane so caught the 14 with him.
I still walk home here late at night, actually did last night. Part of the walk is along a dark canal path but feel fairly safe.

Do you remember the film shows at Blakenhale? I think they were on Tuesday evenings. I recall seeing "TheDambusters" there. Must have been in the 1950's

I remember going to a few film shows there as well,I always wondered how they got permission to show them !

I loved the dances at this place do you remember Brenda and the grasshoppers and Micky Bakewell both great singers.

I loved the dances at this place do you remember Brenda and the grasshoppers and Micky Bakewell both great singers.
Yes,remember them both very well,top singers.I believe that Brenda sadly passed away last year,but Mick is still around,but not singing now !

Did Mick become part of cliff bennet and the rebel rousers
No,that was Moss Groves,the sax player,he was with Cliff Bennett for a couple of years and featured on a few of their records...I can't recall Mick singing with any other band after the Modernaires,but I might be wrong there !

Back