• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advice on TNA and Libraries

Dashers

master brummie
Up till now my family history research has been limited to the Internet. Subscriptions to various sites and excellent forums like BHF have netted me copious amounts of data.

I tried many, and settled for software to record my findings and have quite a considerable collection of names.

My next step is to get the things that aren't available online so visits to the library and TNA are in order.

I was hoping that some people could share their "do's & don'ts" about these visits so as to maximise my time there.

For example:
I believe that Birmingham Library has some great information, but where do I start? I've never been in the building (shame on me) so where do I go? what should I take? are there people there who can help?
I think that a lot of my family were baptised in St Martin's and I think the records can be found in Brmingham Library. Is it a big book? Microfiche? Do I order in advance? or do I go in a pick up a book? Do I need membership?

I hope I am not alone in this, but rather than walk around aimlessly I would prefer to be armed with some knowledge.

I have read that at TNA there is a talk at 11:00 to give beginners 'the basics'. Is this worth attending? Does anyone have experiemce of their first visit? Would you do anything different?
What can you see at TNA? When I look up a marriage or birth on one of the internet sites I get a volume and page number, am I able to see this record at TNA (i.e. the marriage details) or do I see the same page as I see online?

If others are in the same boat maybe we could produce a 'sticky' that shows what to do when visiting these place (similar to Bren's excellent beginners guide)

Thanks in advance
Paul

Hiya Paul..I am sure some of the members will advise you on what is in the library:)I do know you will need two forms of identity with you to get what is called a readers ticket..the staff will give you one when you go ..that ticket can then be used in other archives in England..good luck in your research:)

Hello Paul,

The Archives are on floor 6 at the Library. The records for St. Martins are on microfilm, and you need to book a reader, (if it's not busy on the day there is sometimes one available).

I usually lookup first on the Familysearch website, and this saves time at the Library.

Happy searching.
rosie.

Back