• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A painting of Saint Chads

cookie273uk

master brummie
I have been wanting to paint this well known Birmingham land mark for some time, ever since I saw a watercolour by my BWS colleague Peter Wells hanging in the Bull, the problem was getting a suitable view, in retrospect I don't like this view, I would like a more frontal view and will attempt to obtain one. EricSaint Chads.JPG

This is absolutely beautiful.
This was my first ever view, I had just found the church, having changed my employment, and started to worship there regularly. Such a great building, you have captured it perfectly.
Thank you for sharing.

I like this view Eric. The building gives us hints of the old Bishops house style as well - but sadly now demolished. Think the Bishop's House might have been a Pugin building too. I love the way you've captured the light. My grandmother was married at St. Chads, so especially interesting for me. Also like the front view....... so in your on time Eric! Viv.

That is a really lovely painting, I was married there Sept 24 1949, Sad to say the marriage did not last.

Jean. California USA

What a beautiful painting Eric. You are so talented. I also have connections to the church with my 2 x gt.grandparents marrying there.

Judy

A beautiful painting of St. Chads Cathedral: you are to be commended Eric.

I have never been in St. Chads Cathedral, I wish I had particularly before interior changes were made. It was always tucked away, it seems, from the City Centre. When I lived in the Solihull area and visited the City it was never on my itinery. I wish it had been.
Now the Oratory is a place I knew well some well over fifty years ago. I used to attend there whilst on week-end leave when I was in the R.A.F. stationed at Great Malvern.
Incidentally there is a new Bishop for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Plymouth and I met the previous Archbishop of Birmingham, Vincent Nichols, at the recent episcopal ordination.

Frothy by all means do what you like with it, and Jean, Sorry things did not work out, I was lucky and had a wonderful marriage, sadly my Wife died 16 years ago this Easter after 46 years together, such is life. Although I have passed St Chads many times I have never been inside but always thought what a beautiful building it is . It makes a pleasant change from painting pubs !!! Eric

yet another cookie masterpiece eric...its a wonderful painting well done...

lyn x

Wonderful painting yet again Eric. St Chads is such a lovely landmark and one of Pugin's works of art!

Back