Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

alec rose. Guest

Default Re: Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Mecca It could have been taken from the site of the former Pelham Arms pub?

Born Handsworth grew up in Sutton now in Tamworth

If you click on open original the photo will enlarge. In the background is a tall chimney which could be the old brick works. The photo is obviously going to wards the city as chimneys mean industry. I think the photo is around 1900. The area where the Pelum was would have been countryside and would not have had gas lamps I would think:):)
    Names interest; Jennings, Yates, Howell, McKnight, Parton, Stroud, Bratt, Baker, Caldecott, Zipfell, Hook, Marston, Norton.

A look at the 1890 survey will confirm Wendy's thoughts.
    Housing development ended not far past Highfield Road.

Born Handsworth grew up in Sutton now in Tamworth

It does look like it may be a cross roads?
    Names interest; Jennings, Yates, Howell, McKnight, Parton, Stroud, Bratt, Baker, Caldecott, Zipfell, Hook, Marston, Norton.

It's Parkside I am pretty sure. The photo is about 1900 as previously stated and maybe the chimny in the distance is in fact a brickworks. The 1890 survey map does not show much development at all this far out but it takes time to compile a survey so maybe the data would have been gathered several years earlier. By 1900 possibly there would have been 15 to 20 years further development but not enough time maybe to go very far past here. The gabled houses at the end of the street have gone and the stores have changed somewhat but look further down the street on GE at the row houses and they are still there with mostly the same windows and brick wall front gardens. You will have to zoom in on the photo to count the windows.
    Houses were later built on the other side of the street and if you use GE you will be able to see a wall whose forebear is on the left photo at the end of the street.
    The picture shows a curve to the right that looks maybe a little more exagerated than in GE plan aeriel view. I think that this is foreshortening of the camera lens and Parkside has a curve to the right also.
    Another thing that comes to mind is that Alum Rock Rd. slopes down to the left of the photo Which is the case there as I recall.
    Actually, these houses look charming, a better quality and a little bigger than what I was used to and Maybe they will survive rabid re-development.

If you have a wheel mouse, hold down Ctrl. and use the wheel to zoom in. This will give you more magnification. But you guys all knew this already.

Rupert
    According to Richard Olivers Ordnance Survey guide, the survey for Birmingham for this edition was done in 1885-7
    Mike

alec rose. Guest

:):)Hi Readers,Iam very interested in reading about B;Ham 8. I know the area well, but are their any readers from B;Ham 9 where i hale from i.e.Alston Rd school.class of 1932/41.Raids.monkey runs.etc.Best wishes. Alec. P.S.Welcome back BHN.

Quote Originally Posted by Doger View Post
    Hi
    I Lived just off the Washwood Heath road,as a child in the 50s,i remember the Chocolate Cabin sweet shop.
    We used to play in the Bromford Lane clay pits,a deep hole in the ground,like a mini Grand Canyon.
    Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer.
    I went to Thornton Road 1953/1958 my mom was Mrs Brown she did playground duty, she was there for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doger View Post
    Hi
    I Lived just off the Washwood Heath road,as a child in the 50s,i remember the Chocolate Cabin sweet shop.
    We used to play in the Bromford Lane clay pits,a deep hole in the ground,like a mini Grand Canyon.
    Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer.
    I went to Thornton Road 1954 -1958 and I do remember Miss Hamer, she was very strict, I remember being terrified of her, but I also remember she had a nice side to her. Maybe they could with more teacher like that these days??

My mom was Mrs Brown, she was a dinner lady, and she used to do playround patrol - all the kids loved her. She worked there for over 20 years.

birmingham

I was born in the Sorrento Maternity Hospital Wake Green in 1946 - which I understand has now been demolished.

I grew up in William Cook Road Ward End. I married in 1967 at St Margarets Church Ward End, then I lived in Coleshill, Aldridge & Redditch.

I worked at Boots in New Street, and Lilia White Sales/Southalls.

I've lived in Somerset now for seven years now. Somerset is a beautiful place to live but I really miss my Birmingham roots.

There are many Brummies down here and I find myself levitating towards a Brummie accent.

There is nothing like a Brummie. The locals here are so unfriendly, walking along any street in Birmingham people always acknowledge each other, but here they look at you as if to say "who the hell are you?"

Hi , i live in ward end on alum rock road. Did you know southalls is demolshed,it as left behind a massive building space.reg

Quote Originally Posted by morris View Post
    Hi , i live in ward end on alum rock road. Did you know southalls is demolshed,it as left behind a massive building space.reg
    Yes I knew that Southalls has gone. I was looking on Google Earth and thought I was looking in the wrong area - couldn't believe it. It made me feel quite sad actually, Southalls was an institution, everybody in Ward End/Alum Rock either had worked there or knew someone who had. When did it go,and do you know what they are going to put there?

regards

Quote Originally Posted by veegee View Post
    I was born in the Sorrento Maternity Hospital Wake Green in 1946 - which I understand has now been demolished.

I grew up in William Cook Road Ward End. I married in 1967 at St Margarets Church Ward End, then I lived in Coleshill, Aldridge & Redditch.

I worked at Boots in New Street, and Lilia White Sales/Southalls.

I've lived in Somerset now for seven years now. Somerset is a beautiful place to live but I really miss my Birmingham roots.

There are many Brummies down here and I find myself levitating towards a Brummie accent.

There is nothing like a Brummie. The locals here are so unfriendly, walking along any street in Birmingham people always acknowledge each other, but here they look at you as if to say "who the hell are you?"
    Hi Veegee 13/11/09 REF PAGE 133

Did you take your 11 plus at Thornton Rd,i failed mine in 1957/8,any memories of children or teachers.My best friend at Thornton school was John Price who had dark hair,just like his mother who was a lovely lady,he lived local, i had been to his house many times, we played with his old wind up recordplayer in his garden,he had been to my home several times.We both loved marching music,the Colonel Bogey March was his favourite 45 record.It was a sad day,when he left the school.

Another sensible boy and friend was John Hayes who lived at a greengrocers shop, close to Thornton Rd,he was tall and well built,i think he liked boxing. Other boys i can remember were
    Jeffrey Woolley, Jeffrey Hemmings, Steven Cross.

I was sent to Ward End Hall shool shortly after failing the 11 plus

( Do you remember when Gary Porter was struck & killed around 1958/9 ? )

AT WARD END HALL school,teachers-Miss Lidgey-Mr Tompson-Miss Macerwright (Mr Haynes & Miss Butler, head teachers) also a blind man used to teach music and played the piano.

Hi Veegee,

I recognise all the names you gave,its a small world.I was at Ingleton rd Infants and the annex nearby,we played in the woods and skated on the large frozen pond in winter.

I remember a girl- Gloria Cooper,who lived at a shop near Ingleton rd.

Pat Lees was always chased by the boys,i didn't know she married Terry in 1963.

WARD END HALL school, i was in B.We may have been in the same class at some stage,i transferred to Hodge Hill Secondary at around 1960.

I left the Ward End area in 1965 and live on the south side of the city in Acocks Green / Olton district.
    Last edited by Doger; November 13th, 2009 at 22:51. Reason: Names to mention

Quote Originally Posted by veegee View Post
    Yes I knew that Southalls has gone. I was looking on Google Earth and thought I was looking in the wrong area - couldn't believe it. It made me feel quite sad actually, Southalls was an institution, everybody in Ward End/Alum Rock either had worked there or knew someone who had. When did it go,and do you know what they are going to put there?

regards
    Demolished about 2 years ago.undecided yet what to use site for, housing and medical centre mentioned.
    all the best reg morris

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast