Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Born Handsworth grew up in Sutton now in Tamworth

Default Re: Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Chris my husband is devastated he's not on it, he would have been 8 years old.
    Names interest; Jennings, Yates, Howell, McKnight, Parton, Stroud, Bratt, Baker, Caldecott, Zipfell, Hook, Marston, Norton.

Hi All some photos of the classes at Sladefield Sec' Mod' school

number 1 taken in 1956 was class 1/1 teacher was
    Mr Liversidge
    number 2 taken in 1957 was class 2/1 no teacher in photo but it was Mr Westacott
    number 3 taken in 1958 was class 3/1 teacher was Mr Court
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi
    I was at Ward End Hall school,at the time Gary Porter was struck,think it was around the same time of the great air crashes,when we lost Buddy Holly & the football team.The teachers i remember,were- head Haynes,woodwork teacher Westwood,sports/p.e teachers Tompson & Miss Ligey.Arts teacher,Mr Stevens.
    Kids i new were,Paddy Moony,Andrew Kelly,Douglas Lambie,Mick Meridith,Mick Newcombe,John Yelland,Ronnie Baker,Ronnie Russell,Alan Johnson,Robert Mcconnell.
    Last edited by Doger; November 28th, 2008 at 20:57. Reason: Added names

Hi
    I Lived just off the Washwood Heath road,as a child in the 50s,i remember the Chocolate Cabin sweet shop.
    We used to play in the Bromford Lane clay pits,a deep hole in the ground,like a mini Grand Canyon.
    Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer.
    Last edited by Doger; November 28th, 2008 at 22:51. Reason: Added info

medion Guest

Hi
    I lived at 28 Alum Rock Road and my grandparents lived at 32 Alum Rock Road in the early 1950s (this was a block of shops opposite George Arthur Road). I attended St. Saviours School until 1958 when we moved to Castle Bromwich. Are there any pictures out there of this area

Hi Medion

Type Alum Rock / Saltley into the search bar, there are some old photos & postcards there.

Macca

heres a delightful pic of alum rock road..sorry no date but maybe early 1900s

astoness:)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vrum Zummerzet via Alum Rock to Hollywood, Worcs

Date about right Astoness, the tramcar has a destination board instead of top canopy number only box that came in after the First World War. Brilliant pic. I recently posted an Alum Rock one over on the 'Photos' thread in the Trams section you might not have seen.
    Mike
    God speed the plough and spare the horses!

hi mike...i do agree its a lovely pic...i must be getting good at this if you agree with my date on it.....sorry i didnt see the pic you posted.. i will go and sort it out....

:)

Doger asked :" Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer. "

Yes, I went to the infants and primary schools from 1950-1956 and can just recall Miss Hamer's name. I cannot remember her face, but I do recall she had a reputation for being strict. Teachers' names I do remember are Mr Harwood, Mr Sheldon, Mr Goodman and the headmaster Mr. Hall.

There is another thread in this forum regarding his successor, Mr Petherick, where a relative was asking for any information - a search on the name should find it.

Hi dav1930
    Thanks for info,you have sparked my memory,i do remember the head teacher a Mr Petherick.I fainted in the school hymns sessions once,and Mr Petherick was very good.
    I remember the playground fights,almost every other day.
    Kids i remember were
    David Probert,a good looking kid,always in trouble.
    John Price,was a good friend.
    Colin West.
    It was a very long time ago,amazing you still seem to retain the memory of it .
    Cheerio
    Doger

I lived in a 'back' house in Wright Rd near to Alum Rock Rd from 1945 - 1966. People sometimes have the wrong perception as to what a 'back' house was! They are often portrayed as grim looking houses crowded into a 'court' or 'yard'. Our house was one of four terraced houses set behind the houses of Wright Rd. We had our own 'entry' leading to a small fore garden plus a small garden at the rear. There was only one car in the whole street. This belonged to the local taxi driver.
    Go to the address now and the Road is packed with cars/vans etc., It has become a totally run down area. I have a few photographs somewhere - I must dig them out sometime.

Yes please Roy:) We will look forward to them
    ITS A DULL MAN WHO CAN ONLY SPELL A WORD ONE WAY
    Samuel Johnson

summerlad old school Guest

Hi all :)

im new to this site and ive signed up on behalf of my dad really, george wheeler was brought near summer lane, aston etc he tells us he's kids a million stories about he's memorys of being brought up from he's childhood. But just seeing this alum rock road- ward end post. Has anyone on here attended? highfield J&I School? highfield road? love to hear any storys or pictures? i am the caretaker at the school now and maybe if enough interest? might be able to arrange a walk round of the school one time to bring back memorys?

many thanks

alec rose. Guest

Talking Re: Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

:)Les,I wonder if you remember the milk place at the top of Bennetts rd, James Holt & Son.I left school at 14 and my first job was to assist the 2 roundsmen.Gorge&LEN,Iam talking now about 1942. we were having air raids and poor George was bombed out.he lived Aston Church Rd the empty house space is still there I believe,I would be interested in traceing the other milkman Len cant;think of his surname lived at Shirley, I got the sack co;s I couldnt; get up in the mornings.we kept in tough untill I went into the andrew.Cheers Alec.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast