Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: St Michael's School RC, Floodgate Street, Digbeth

Default Re: St Michael's School RC, Floodgate Street, Digbeth

hi,jackie hill, there was 3-4, kelly bro. in st michaels, in the 1970,s, i went on a trip to glasgow with james, a few moons ago, i am sure my pop has a foto of this? i will ask him,o,k. is there any fotos of pupils at st michaels anywhere? take care....christy.

hi,jean there was a tony nesbitt in my class,any relation to you? there was a billy cunnningham married a lady called betty, ok all the best,....christy...

I attended St Michael's 1954/55. I transferred from St Catherine's with the rest of the senior class as they ran out of room at St Catherine's. We brought a bunch of good boxers with us which made Mr McCoy pretty happy. I thought in general it was a well run school and better organized than St Catherine's. I remember them teaching dancing once a week during the lunch period which the pupils liked because at that time the boys and girls were classed in separate areas of the school. Our main teacher was named Nickerson (sp) I know his uncle was a senior priest at St Cahterines. I moved to Canada in 1955 and then moved to the United States in the mid 70's. i get back to B'ham every once in a while and have visited the school. It was amazing to me how little the building had changed. I could still see the anchors in the wall were used for erecting the boxing ring and the stage they put together for the Christmas play. Which was quite well presented. Also my older brother John (Jack) Hughes attended St Michael's in the early 50'. I was surprised to find a site for the school and enjoyed the few comments that had been submitted. I have a lot of memories of the school and names etc,but don't want to overdo the message. Edwin Hughes, Chicago, Illinois

BrummieL Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Hello

I went to St Michaels I left in 1965.

I remember Joe Parker and not with fond memories. He taught us French and was constantly having a drink from a hip flask which he said was "cough medicine"
    Mr Halsay took us for Geography he was a gentle giant really.

Did Miss Bently take the girls for PE?
    I have such happy memories of my years there.

In my year were
    Lizzie Skillen
    Pat Casey
    Maureen Rooney
    Matthew Dolan
    John Clements
    Susan McCoy
    Joseph Pender
    Tony Joyce
    Mary Keenan ( her sister used to teach Irish Dancing)

do you remember having to walk upto st Anne's church on Friday's for Benediction and the Latin masses in the hall . Oh how sore my knees were.
    Was Mr Odonal the teacher who always smelt of TCP?

Maureenxx
    My uncles name is Matthew Dolan...I wonder if its the same guy. Timeline would be about right too. My Mum and aunt also went there, but left much earlier, as they are 10 and 12 years older than their brother. My Mums name is Kathleen and her sister is called Ann....obviously they were both called Dolan too back then. Anyone remember them?

joealcock Guest

I was also at St Michaels [1950s/1955 aug]
    I remember Mr Parker [he caned me on many occation.
    McCoy [headmaster] and Mrs. McCabe, [I was in her class].
    Never a boxer, but I did have one bout with a tough lad called
    Mickey Whelan [does anybody recall him]?
    Names have seemed to have been erased of Micks, only one I
    remember was a DECLAN TROY.
    By the way my name is Julian Alcock, I came to live with my
    late sister JUNE HOSEY in Barford St. [on the death of my parents].
    I was not a Catholic but I got in the school because my new
    friends went there [I spent 6/8 months at Hope St. school.
    Life was tough, but I survived, now retired, living with Judy my
    wife of 38 years.
    friends went there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrummieL View Post
    My uncles name is Matthew Dolan...I wonder if its the same guy. Timeline would be about right too. My Mum and aunt also went there, but left much earlier, as they are 10 and 12 years older than their brother. My Mums name is Kathleen and her sister is called Ann....obviously they were both called Dolan too back then. Anyone remember them?

Hello Brummiel

I canot recall your mom or aunt but if they are 10+ years older maybe I wouldn't.

Maybe you could ask your uncle if he remembers Maureen Hodgetts ( my maiden name )

Take care

Maureen
    Family Names

Me Hodgetts, Halligan, Ramsay
    Husband Sinicola. Bortoli, Mora
    Other Di-Gusti, Dagastino

hi,guys. my mom went to this sch around 53-6, her name then was astrid newman, everyone called her maureen, she was friends, with annabella goodchild.. i went there from 1972-5. good times, my teacher was a miss healy....cheers..all the best...christy..

Terry22 Guest

Trying to locate the whereabouts of Sean and Patrick Gaynor, twins who went to St Michaels in the late sixties. Also Christopher Mooney. I was good friends with all three.

SallyC Guest

Hi, I am a newbie - only joined at the weekend. I have a photo of Class 1a September 1958 (before the St Catherine's pupil's joined us for that year), I need som help in identifying some of the names, and making sure I put the right names to the faces. I am doing a scrapbook page about my time at the school (loathed it)! and I need to get the names right - can anyone help please?St Michael's RC S&#101.jpg
    Back row I have names for l-R 1. Jean Lawton, 2. Maureen O'Connor, 3. Catherine Cassidy 4. (me) Susan Clarke, 5. Jacqueline Williams 6. Elizabeth Mc ? 7. Bernadette H ? 8. Patricia Green (John Scully's aunt) 9. Hazel Pulling 10. Paula? 11. Paulette?
    Middle Row l to Rt. 1. ? 2. John Scully 3. ? 4. Pauline C? 5. Judith Digby 6. Patricia Bowen 7. Philomena Sheehan(played accordian) 8. Jean Costello 9. Paul Carpenter? 10. ? 11 . ? 12 ?
    Front row lt to rt 1. Paul Cleary 2 Liam Bermingham 3 ? 4. John Disney 5. ? 6. ? 7 ? 8.? Dolan 9. Paul ? 10. ?
    11. Brian ? 12. ?
    Would be very grateful for any help!

Sallyk
    the guy on the bottom row 3rd from the left with the bushy fair hair is Tommy Griffin, he was Shamus Donleavy's nephew and lived in Sparkbrook. Tommy owned the club on the Stratford Road, just before Walford Road, I cannot remember the name of the Club. Tommy was a great character of his time but unfortunately I believe he passed away recently.
    great photo it was the year before I enrolled for 1 year only in Joe Parkers class.

SallyC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bobsummers View Post
    Sallyk
    the guy on the bottom row 3rd from the left with the bushy fair hair is Tommy Griffin, he was Shamus Donleavy's nephew and lived in Sparkbrook. Tommy owned the club on the Stratford Road, just before Walford Road, I cannot remember the name of the Club. Tommy was a great character of his time but unfortunately I believe he passed away recently.
    great photo it was the year before I enrolled for 1 year only in Joe Parkers class.
    Many thanks for your help Bob, I yhought that was his name, but was not sure - every little helps!
    Sally

hi i went to st Annes 1965-71 and st micks 1971-74 and was a class mate of all three of these lads. i have met patrick Gaynor several times. he is still in brum. he told me sean lives in burton. As for chris Mooney or his brother michael i have not seen them in 30 years

i have discovered that chris mooney has been a teacher of akido for many years and his school is based in northfield

Elizabeth Redmond Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Hi, I am a newbie - only joined at the weekend. I have a photo of Class 1a September 1958 (before the St Catherine's pupil's joined us for that year), I need som help in identifying some of the names, and making sure I put the right names to the faces. I am doing a scrapbook page about my time at the school (loathed it)! and I need to get the names right - can anyone help please?St Michael's RC S&#101.jpg
    Back row I have names for l-R 1. Jean Lawton, 2. Maureen O'Connor, 3. Catherine Cassidy 4. (me) Susan Clarke, 5. Jacqueline Williams 6. Elizabeth Mc ? 7. Bernadette H ? 8. Patricia Green (John Scully's aunt) 9. Hazel Pulling 10. Paula? 11. Paulette?
    Middle Row l to Rt. 1. ? 2. John Scully 3. ? 4. Pauline C? 5. Judith Digby 6. Patricia Bowen 7. Philomena Sheehan(played accordian) 8. Jean Costello 9. Paul Carpenter? 10. ? 11 . ? 12 ?
    Front row lt to rt 1. Paul Cleary 2 Liam Bermingham 3 ? 4. John Disney 5. ? 6. ? 7 ? 8.? Dolan 9. Paul ? 10. ?
    11. Brian ? 12. ?
    Would be very grateful for any help!
    Hi Sally Paul Cleary lived next door to me for years,Susan Clark,or Sally as i knew her,lived just down the yard from me,and i recognise both
    Last edited by Elizabeth Redmond; June 14th, 2010 at 17:41.

I lived on walford road for many years and most of my family went to st michaels. there were two irish clubs in the vicinity of walford road. one was the harp and the other was the the labour club.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast