Thread: Bone and Ivory Turner and whipmaker

Default Bone and Ivory Turner and whipmaker

I'm trying to find out more about how a bone and ivory turner and a whipmaker operated in the early 1800s. I know a turner used a lathe but not much more. These were the occupations of my Birmingham ancestors. Any information would be appreciated.

brummie by birth and heritage, now in Tamworth

Default Re: Bone and Ivory Turner and whipmaker

Hi Cath and welcome to the forum.
    I don't know much about the bone and ivory turning, but my great grandad was a renown whip maker back in the 1920s and later. he worked for a small company in Birmingham and also did some self employed work, which he used to send off to Blue Lane in Walsall. The leather they used came in sheets and was cut into strips, traeted and then plaited , with extra thin pieces being plaited in at the very tail if the whip. I have some more detail about this, will find it out and put it on for you, also, my Aunty used to do some of the laether work for him we are going to her 90th tea party this afternoon ,so will ask her again. Mom remembers some bits as well, bear woth me and I will get back to you.
    Sue

Default Re: Bone and Ivory Turner and whipmaker

Thank you so much!! I can't believe how helpful people are being! Any info would be great.