Page 92 of 265 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 3965

Thread: Old street pics..

Default Re: Old street pics..

A few weeks back Phil, I took this shot of Hotel La Tour from what was Freeman Street (the site is now part of a car park and will be the HS2 terminal in the future)

Is it anywhere near there? Is so, that means there hasn't been anything on the site for over 40 years!

hi BG..can you recall if the pub was a smallish one...theres plenty of pubs on the soho road but somewhere in the back of my mind and i will have to find the thread im sure i read that the beehive was a great place for a sing song...as you come up soho hill from the flyover its on the right just before its changes to soho road...i was down the old end earlier this year and took some pics of the beehive..its been in a very sorry state for years now...
    Hi Lyn,

No, sorry, not the one I remember, but I'll be honest and say that back in those distant days I did like my drinkies probably a little too much for the good of my memory cells. I think the pub I recall was further up towards West Bromwich. Does The Ivy House/Bush or something similar mean anything?

Is The Beehive next door to what was Rusty's Jamaican Restaurant? If so, I did go in there just once, the night a bunch of us went to eat at Rusty's. It was good food, too, and I was sorry it closed down. A real fun place.

G

brummie by birth and heritage, now in Tamworth

Rustys was great food and she was delightful - loud and happy, and fed us nurses til we couldn't move after we had nursed a family member of hers. Loved her place.
    Sue

Why did it close? It was packed the night we went, and Rusty's raucous laugh and her top-volume comments had us in stitches.

G

I'm not sure but she went into politics, I think about the same time so maybe that was why? There are plans to open a new one in Newcastle, to be run by Rusties son.
    Sue

hi lynn
    the first pub you came to heading towrds soho rd on your right after coming over the fly over was on the start of hamstead rd
    i think it wa blue some think or another then a littlw way uo layed back on the pavents was the behive for the singing and what ever
    i used to spend my nights with the lads down stairs in the old continental in the days when the five pound note was as almost big as the dispatch
    bigger than the old english pound note if you recall ater doing our run up the soho from constution hill all up to the old west brom ; town centre
    and last drink at the old star and garter and then work back to the club of the contie ; bang the little peep hole with the black knocker
    ya man would look through and check to se who you was and then roll up your big fiver and he would let you in and down stairs until at least six oclock
    in the morning drinking barlie wines ; then make our way to our jobs of work ;
    best wishes astonian

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gee View Post
    Hi Lyn,

No, sorry, not the one I remember, but I'll be honest and say that back in those distant days I did like my drinkies probably a little too much for the good of my memory cells. I think the pub I recall was further up towards West Bromwich. Does The Ivy House/Bush or something similar mean anything?

Is The Beehive next door to what was Rusty's Jamaican Restaurant? If so, I did go in there just once, the night a bunch of us went to eat at Rusty's. It was good food, too, and I was sorry it closed down. A real fun place.

G
    yes G i think you are right about rustys...i know that she was on tv quite a lot...

Hi folks,
    I've just discovered this forum and spent hours today looking through some of the wonderful pictures, so I couldn't resist joining. I don't know if this is the right place to put this first post, but here goes.

I grew up in sheldon during the late 60s, through the 70s and left in the early 80s. As a kid, I remember being sent on many errands to the Comberton Road shopping centre to a shop called 'Hathaways', a small grocer/ general food store. Mr and Mrs Hathaway ran the shop and were really friendly. I remember listening to Mr Hathaway's stories about his exploits in the Royal Navy during the war. There was also a newsagent on the end of the row called 'Hollands' and from what I remember a TV repair shop, a Coop, a bike shop called 'Williams' (who sold a great selection of bike stickers) and a barber called 'Jim's', where I was dragged kicking and screaming on regular Saturday mornings.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of any pictures that exist of this shopping row? I found a few of the Coop on Flickr and of the derelict row in the mid 90s. Also, on a recent visit to Sheldon I popped into the library and was told there were no existing pictures in the local history archive. If this is true, it seems a real shame that only a few pictures of the Coop is all that exists of this now redeveloped area.

Here's hoping,
    Jerry

Jerry take a look at the Sheldon Thread that should help. I will see if I can find it. I think it was either started by Anne B or the late Len Copsey. Will go take a look for you. Jean.
    You can't BUY friendship and trust they have to be EARNED.

Many thanks Jean. I had a look at the Sheldon thread earlier today but found there were quite a few photos I couldn't access. Unfortunately, none of them referred to the old Comberton Road shops.
    jerry

Hi Jerry, if the pictures are older ones, as you may have read on the banner on top of the forum, all our photos were hacked and removed from the site by some malicious person/people. While the members that posted them are trying to re-post them, there are some which were posted by members no longer with us or who are no longer on the forum.
    If you post on the Sheldon thread and ask if anyone has them to re-post, you may be lucky.
    Sue

Hi Jerry
    I will look and see what photo's are on the sheldon thread, and
    if i can add any. I remember Comberton rd shops well and Downsfield Rd.
    I also lived on the Radleys and drank in the cabin. Oh happy days.

regards Stars
    family tree names Stevens, Gaffney, Greatrex

Many thanks Sue and Stars- It'd be really nice if a few photos could be found. They'd bring back some nice memories.
    Regards, jerry

a few more folks...i think most of these are new one but aplologies now if i may have posted them before...

lyn

lovers walk...march.1954

gravelly hill north...erdington 1954

angelina st/stanhope st highgate new years day 1954

hawthorn road kingstanding...1958

ashted row...c 1954

hope st highgate...1951

monument grove off parker st ladywood 1952...looks to me like we have sprouts growing in the garden and i love the way the anderson shelter is being used as a garden shed..

adalaide st highgate....1952