Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bomb Pecks

Default Bomb Pecks

Hi John,

I remember the bomb peck between Wilkinson Street and Miller Street, the Germans must have been aiming for Millers and the factories in Bracebridge Street and Aston Brook Street.

We played there many times, I wonder if there was a factory on that site as we discovered lots of objects that looked like cuff links, one side was
    coloured enamel and the other had the word "gilt" stamped on it. In our
    ignorance we confused gilt with guilt and thought the police would be after
    us if we took them home!!!

There were also bomb pecks in New Street on both sides of the road, and
    also in Whitehouse Street, a friend of mine was staying with her grandma
    in Alma Street and although only about 3 years old remembers her gran
    carrying her to the shelter when the bomb fell as it was just behind their house.

Default bomb pecks

:shock: Er... does anyone know why were these bomb sites/bomb craters were known as 'pecks'?
    I used to have a life - now I have the Internet.

Default Bomb Pecks

Thanks everyone. :lol: At last I can rest easy in my bed at night again. :roll:

Sweet dreams all Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :wink:
    I used to have a life - now I have the Internet.

Luckyjo Guest

Default Bomb Peck

Our favourite past time as kids was playing on the bombed peck which was next to the park and almost opposite St Annes school in Devon St. it still had bombed buildings on part of it. I presume the Germans target was the gas works a few hundred yards down the road.
    Funny as kids you never questioned why is was called the Bomb peck!

Rod Guest

Default Bomb Peck

I too played on what we called Bomb Pecks, I know though that some the house and building remains were due to the demolition process rather than bomb damage. Funnily enough they sometimes became the sites of wars between rival schoolboy gangs, all played out very seriously at the time, but looking back, what fun :lol: It's a real wonder we wern't maimed for life by the use of heavy ammo(HOUSE BRICKS) :roll: Whatever the word peck meant originally, to me it meant an adventure playground.

Beith, Ayrshire. Ex.Aston, Nechells, Chelmsley.

Default Bomb Pecks.

Just to add to the bomb peck discussion. When I was a lad living in Queens Tower in Nechells, we called any bit of old demolished and dormant land a bomb peck. There was one right over the road from Queens Tower, next to the side of Loxton Street School, and I spent many happy hours there, doing daft ladish things like catching butterflys, playing hide-and-seek, and starting your own fires up against the school wall etc. Until the local policeman would come around the corner and catch you red handed, and administered his own form of instant justice ( normally a clip round the ear ), with the threat that if it ever happened again, he would take me home and tell my parents. Boy, did that have an effect? Anyway, great times in a great place, thanks for the memories.

Chrissy Guest

Default Re: Bomb Pecks

We had a bomb peck over the road from where we use to live. In between Charles Arthur street, Nechells and Rocky Lane. I have recently been informed it was not bombed but houses that were dimolished by mistake. How true this is, I am not sure, any one know of this?
    A block of high rise flates were built up the one end and the Prince Rupert Pub the other.
    On the bomb peck we use to gather fire wood for guy fawkes night, it got bigger and bigger each year. Lots of fun for all the kids, not so sure if the people in the falts thought it was fun. Not sure if the block of flats were called Camrose Tower?

Do you remember the wood yard Milton Street
    ITS A DULL MAN WHO CAN ONLY SPELL A WORD ONE WAY
    Samuel Johnson

In " Our " world around the Coleman Street area they were know as Bomb Peck. l heard of a sad story of a man who refused to go to the Air Raid shelter and one night his house had a direct hit , this was on the corner of Lupin Street and Willis Street,he may have lived in the corner shop that once stood there. Only pleased that l found this out after we had stopped playing on there otherwise l may have been spooked out. If all will forgive me for saying so. Why did we play on the peck ?
    it was the only place we could dig holes to play our marble games.

Quote Originally Posted by EARP
    We had a bomb peck over the road from where we use to live. In between Charles Arthur street, Nechells and Rocky Lane. I have recently been informed it was not bombed but houses that were dimolished by mistake. How true this is, I am not sure, any one know of this?
    A block of high rise flates were built up the one end and the Prince Rupert Pub the other.
    On the bomb peck we use to gather fire wood for guy fawkes night, it got bigger and bigger each year. Lots of fun for all the kids, not so sure if the people in the falts thought it was fun. Not sure if the block of flats were called Camrose Tower?
    Do you remember the Wood Yard Earp :)
    ITS A DULL MAN WHO CAN ONLY SPELL A WORD ONE WAY
    Samuel Johnson

Hi my hubby keeps going on about the bomb pecks around devonshire street and york terrace, talking about york terrace has anyone got any old photos of the back to back houses in york terrace, he used to live at 1 back of 7, myself had never heard of bomb pecks until he was going on about them the other week, it seems you all used to have alot of fun on them, fantastic site!!!!!
    Names I'm researching
    Baker, Draper, Davies, Taylor, Burrows, Bartle, Taylor, Whittle, Stevenson, Pearsall, Pearson, Small, Lowe, Bott, Jones, Courzon, Lee, Habgood, Newcombe, Loxton, Steele, Musgrave, Kirk, Gem, Findon, Fetherston, Rowley, Hipkiss etc

O.C. Guest

Earp
    Did you know the Chatins or Chatwins lived on the edge of the peck in Charles Arthur Street
    we were so poor we did not have any cups but drank out of jamjars
    Happy Times all the same

EARP ***l guess we probably called Demolishion sites " Bomb Pecks" as well, l think for me it was just a term that was used and did not give it much thought as to being caused by a bomb at the time. l remember using the old bricks lying around to make "Dens", these had openings on the outer walls as windows and was one huge complex that grew and grew untill we ran out of land or bricks,the top was covered with anything that would make a roof and they must have been about a metre high. Who else had a building set as realistic as that to play with ?

Chrissy Guest

I cant remeber the wood yard, but i can remember the scrap yard which i use to take the old grates which i had taken out the houses that were to be demolished, i use to get a tannar for each one. I remember two shops Arthurs and Dikes or Dykes. There was an out door around the corner facing the scrap yard. BRS was at the back of our house across the road. Our neighbour were Waddon, Davis at at the end was an old lady cant remember her name but she was nice and smelt of mint.

EARP. Got any of those grates today ? Worth more than a tannar today.
    When l think of the things as rubbish of days gone by, l wish l had a bigger shed and store it all in for a rainy day. then on the other hand there were too many rainy days so l would'nt have anything left anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast